Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Jul 2nd 2014, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by caretaker
The difference that is most obvious is that British people talk funny. I've just had Eastenders on and it's hard to understand parts. Some Newfoundlanders are just as bad, of course and I've heard Americans say that Canadians say 'oot' instead of out. I've never noticed that (we don't do it in Sask), so could that be an Ontario thing? Anyone? Over the last 20 years or so various corporations moved their call centres to Regina because we have a neutral accent that's easy for most English speakers to understand. At least half of those packed up due to the economy though.
Never noticed but 10 years near Aberdeen May have made me immune to oot
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 2:39 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5

Never noticed but 10 years near Aberdeen May have made me immune to oot
When old Scotty from Clydeside was still living we'd talk in the bar and after he'd had a few he might as well of been speaking Greek! He was patient enough to repeat what he was saying over and over, and until he died was terrified he"d lose his pension for selling army fuel to Irish civilians during his national service.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 6:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer
I mentioned that some things are a lot cheaper in England, such as a lot of groceries,
Plus you were wrong, as pointed out in the price comparison thread. Only a handful of things are cheaper and only a tiny number of things are significantly cheaper. Mainly bread.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Plus you were wrong, as pointed out in the price comparison thread. Only a handful of things are cheaper and only a tiny number of things are significantly cheaper. Mainly bread.
I have found a lot of things cheaper in the UK than Canada. Particularly where we were on the prairies. It might just be my affinity with Lidl and Aldi
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 12:50 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The only things I find cheaper in Canada are the birds.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute

British people include English, Scottish (for now), Irish, and Welsh, all of whom tend to have different national characteristics such as assuming that everybody can/should speak English, waving claymores and hoarding bawbees, drinking Guinness, and singing in choirs while digging up coal in green valleys. By the same token, it's impossible to say that Canadians are a homogeneous amalgam of all of the above plus just about every other nationality in the world. However, there are some kinds of behaviour that seem to be fairly prevalent in Canada such as failing to complain when this action is clearly justified, e.g. when service is sloppy, food is poor, or even when there's an automatic 30% tip added to the bill. Yes,while returning inedible food to the service counter, I have observed Canadians stoically chewing away at burnt chips, lukewarm fish, and buns better used as hockey pucks. Canadians also fail to back up a Brit when she/he does complain about things such as people talking on cell phones in theatres, vandalizing public property or stealing from stores. The general attitude seems to be "that's life, just put up with it". Underplaying everything is also commonplace - the pervasive "little bit" applies to anything, e.g. your car repair is a "little bit more" than you expected (like $800 instead of the $250 estimated but as a true Canadian you meekly pay up) or you tell your doctor you feel a "little better" when in fact not only are your arthritic knees completely seized up but the medication he prescribed has caused hair to sprout all over your back and your eyeballs to turn khaki.
On a positive note, however, when anyone does stand up for his/her rights, the shock is such the recipients of the compliant scramble madly to appease (except the BC government vs teachers). One does not, of course, do this in order to get free meals, gift certificates, and profuse apologies but simply because it is the right, albeit non-Canadian, thing to do.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 6:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I think you must have been reading a different thread Steve.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 8:45 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think you must have been reading a different thread Steve.
Precisely what I was thinking.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 8:54 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
British people include English, Scottish (for now), Irish, and Welsh, all of whom tend to have different national characteristics such as assuming that everybody can/should speak English, waving claymores and hoarding bawbees, drinking Guinness, and singing in choirs while digging up coal in green valleys. By the same token, it's impossible to say that Canadians are a homogeneous amalgam of all of the above plus just about every other nationality in the world. However, there are some kinds of behaviour that seem to be fairly prevalent in Canada such as failing to complain when this action is clearly justified, e.g. when service is sloppy, food is poor, or even when there's an automatic 30% tip added to the bill. Yes,while returning inedible food to the service counter, I have observed Canadians stoically chewing away at burnt chips, lukewarm fish, and buns better used as hockey pucks. Canadians also fail to back up a Brit when she/he does complain about things such as people talking on cell phones in theatres, vandalizing public property or stealing from stores. The general attitude seems to be "that's life, just put up with it". Underplaying everything is also commonplace - the pervasive "little bit" applies to anything, e.g. your car repair is a "little bit more" than you expected (like $800 instead of the $250 estimated but as a true Canadian you meekly pay up) or you tell your doctor you feel a "little better" when in fact not only are your arthritic knees completely seized up but the medication he prescribed has caused hair to sprout all over your back and your eyeballs to turn khaki.
On a positive note, however, when anyone does stand up for his/her rights, the shock is such the recipients of the compliant scramble madly to appease (except the BC government vs teachers). One does not, of course, do this in order to get free meals, gift certificates, and profuse apologies but simply because it is the right, albeit non-Canadian, thing to do.
An odd perception. I have found Canadians far more ready to complain and assert their opinions on food or service than people in Britain. Tips, yes, different cultural norms as we all know. "Little bit/better"...not sure. Maybe the entire paragraph is some attempt at humour, if it is, you might get a laugh out of some Canadians.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 1:27 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
An odd perception. I have found Canadians far more ready to complain and assert their opinions on food or service than people in Britain. Tips, yes, different cultural norms as we all know. "Little bit/better"...not sure. Maybe the entire paragraph is some attempt at humour, if it is, you might get a laugh out of some Canadians.
Well, quite.

It took me years to lose my Brit reticence and learn to complain like a North American when I get bad service/food.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
The difference that is most obvious is that British people talk funny. I've just had Eastenders on and it's hard to understand parts. Some Newfoundlanders are just as bad, of course and I've heard Americans say that Canadians say 'oot' instead of out. I've never noticed that (we don't do it in Sask), so could that be an Ontario thing? Anyone? Over the last 20 years or so various corporations moved their call centres to Regina because we have a neutral accent that's easy for most English speakers to understand. At least half of those packed up due to the economy though.
I have most definitely noticed the difference in the vowels over here - one of the easiest ways to discriminate between an American accent and a Canadian one IMO. And I have heard people form SK doing it too.

Maybe your ear has become attuned to it so much you don't really notice?
I know after 7 + years in Australia I didn't notice their accent at all anymore (although funnily enough the New Zealand Accent is to the Aussies the equivalent of the American vs Canadian with the distended vowels so I totally noticed that). After a year over here I hear an Aussie now and can't believe how strong and grating it is.

As for the British talking funny - well that depends on what area you are talking about, us scots spik proper ken?
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 6:04 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
I have most definitely noticed the difference in the vowels over here - one of the easiest ways to discriminate between an American accent and a Canadian one IMO. And I have heard people form SK doing it too.

Maybe your ear has become attuned to it so much you don't really notice?
I know after 7 + years in Australia I didn't notice their accent at all anymore (although funnily enough the New Zealand Accent is to the Aussies the equivalent of the American vs Canadian with the distended vowels so I totally noticed that). After a year over here I hear an Aussie now and can't believe how strong and grating it is.

As for the British talking funny - well that depends on what area you are talking about, us scots spik proper ken?
Have you gone from Canada to New Zealand?
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Have you gone from Canada to New Zealand?
Nope, went Scotland to Australia to Canada. Never lived in New Zealand but obviously a lot of them living in Australia.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 6:32 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Nope, went Scotland to Australia to Canada. Never lived in New Zealand but obviously a lot of them living in Australia.
Ah yes. Must have misread the first time. So are you saying the American vowels are elongated compared to Canada?
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah yes. Must have misread the first time. So are you saying the American vowels are elongated compared to Canada?
Sorry no I meant I agreed that the Canadians vowels are elongated in comparison to the American. And definitely evidenced in the word oot vs out.
Wonder if it is possibly a bit of the Scottish ancestry hanging around. Certainly the phrase Oot and aboot is the same in northern Scotland as I have heard it here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.