Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Feb 13th 2015, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Mary Browns is to Newfoundland as St Hubert is to QC!

Mary Browns - Famous Chicken & Taters
Mary Browns is way better than crappy KFC, bigger better cooked chicken portions and awesome wedges (taters) I pass one as i drive home from work and love it, I have to limit myself to once a week lol
Three piece meal with wedges $3.99
Old Feb 13th 2015, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Canadians haven't really taken to Nando's, in fact they don't seem to like chicken places that much at all. It seems to be mostly about pizza and Mac Donald's here.
There's a couple Nando's downtown Toronto now. I guess it's a tough market to crack considering the countless wings places and deep friend chicken, not really much chicken competition in the UK IMO.

Originally Posted by Bicko1
It might be a bit late but I can't not have my say in this one!

1). I completely agree with all those users who talk about the driving skills of Canadians or lack of therefore. Don't be surprised to have someone cut you up and then use their indicator to thank you for the pleasure, not pull over to let you on a motorway when there is absolutely no traffic preventing them amongst a trillion other things. They do however understand direct orders such as those imposed by stop signs. Stop signs, that are on then end of every road, intersection and car park. Maybe we should leave roundabouts for a few more years.
2). Pedestrians will walk in front of your car. No ifs, no buts. They will do it with a baby or small child in toe (it seems to have more effect). This combined with the above point has led me to believe that most Canadians may infact be lemmings (from the old video games) or kamikaze trainees.
3). I have met so many Canadians that are obsessed with certain food additives.......aspartame, msg to name a few. Besides the Candian governments stance on them (which says they are safe), most people are more against these than they are walking there newborns in front of a moving car. I'm not sure where their obsession with these things have come from unless it is innate.
4). Healthy lifestyle seems to be at the forefront of a Candians mindset. Ask any one of them as they eat their Burger or poutine.

Having said all of the above, I actually do like Canadians a lot! I have made some good friends who themselves tend to agree as Canadians of these traits! Typically most Canadians are fun, helpful and honest.
#2 is true, I'd always second guess myself crossing the road.

#3 made me lol. So true, people would always question why I'd drink Coke Zero because of the evil aspartame. It's one of the most rigorously tested chemicals, you'd have to consume a ridiculous quantity every day. Then they're happy to drink a soda that has High Fructose Corn Syrup which equally has it's own health concerns
Old Feb 13th 2015, 5:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged

You have a brother who drinks piss and he's related to you.....
I have another who's given up drinking entirely. He's in England so that seems a terrible waste of pubs.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 9:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Come to Ottawa. Fuller's is on tap at my go to pub. It would be similar in ambience to the Woolwich Arms but more rural and in a former one room schoolhouse.

Menu Click the icon to the right of the pub logo

I never go for the Fuller's and usually have an Ontario highly hopped micro.
Ahh. I shall be visiting that pub at Easter when we come to visit family nearby.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Ahh. I shall be visiting that pub at Easter when we come to visit family nearby.
Good stuff. Have you been before?

You Gotta Eat Here! Video - Pizzeria via Mercanti, Moonshine BBQ, Cheshire Cat | Season 4 Episode 1 - foodnetwork.ca

This was filmed in May 2014 (about five months after they re-opened after their fire). Stick with the Ontario micros.

Check out his pronounciation of Cheshire. As a former resident of Cheshire, this really grates on me.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 9:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Video unavailable, what did he say, Ches-shire?
Old Feb 13th 2015, 9:38 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Also present in Ontario. I've purchased their chicken in Scarborough and in Guelph.

In contrast to the Pukka Pies story above, I commend Fuller, Smith and Turner for their timely and informative response to my inquiry concerning the non-availability of their primary product here. Their service offered by their distributors is still dreadful but, at least, I know they are interested in selling beer.
Never saw this place in Guelph but then I looked at their location map...two roads I rarely, if ever, drive down. Is it good?
Old Feb 13th 2015, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
Mary Browns is way better than crappy KFC, bigger better cooked chicken portions and awesome wedges (taters) I pass one as i drive home from work and love it, I have to limit myself to once a week lol
That seems very cheap....I have been to Mary Browns in NL and here but dont remember the food being any cheaper than KFC.....it is much better though I agree

We have another chicken place here called Dixie Lee. Its more popular in Northern NB and QC. Not bad either but still pricier than Burger or Pizza. I find Pizza here a lot more expensive than the Uk, they all charge for delivery and the driver expects a bloody tip on top of that!!!
Old Feb 13th 2015, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Video unavailable, what did he say, Ches-shire?
Exactly. As bad as Glos-ses-ter or Glaw-ces-ter. Sorry the video didn't work..I tried it again and it worked for me.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 2:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Come to Ottawa. Fuller's is on tap at my go to pub. It would be similar in ambience to the Woolwich Arms but more rural and in a former one room schoolhouse.

Menu Click the icon to the right of the pub logo

I never go for the Fuller's and usually have an Ontario highly hopped micro.
Naff me, $8.50 for a decent pint? This IPA is tasty and 6.9% for $5.00.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 5:02 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

There you go. I'll take anyone for a pint.
Attached Thumbnails Differences between Canadian and British people-wp_20150213_001.jpg   Differences between Canadian and British people-wp_20150213_006.jpg  
Old Feb 14th 2015, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

$8.50??? that is for the cask ales. There are a number of good quality micros for $6.50 or $6.75 or something like that.

6.9% for $5 ticks all the boxes for me. Oregon is a great deal with no sales tax and lots of quality micros.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 6:01 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

There you go. I'll take anyone for a pint.
I'm guilty of downing an odd pint or two at the Howe Sound Brewing Co. in Squamish. Quite decent stuff. I've been having difficulty getting a regular supply of Fullers ESB here recently. First time in several years and I can't find out why. I've found that Alaskan Amber is quite a reasonable substitute.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 3:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

All the excuse I need. Friday's heavy metal extravaganza (Napalm Death, Iron Reagan, Voivod and Exhumed) left a dozen each of wheat ale and pale ale from a US craft brewery or 2; Winter Cheers and Zombie Dust plus a quart of Space Station Middle Finger. They'd set them outside where they partially froze then set them on the greenroom floor. Any prairie boy knows to thaw slowly with love & no harm done. A free 24 doesn't walk in every day and I'm very vulnerable to peer pressure.
Attached Thumbnails Differences between Canadian and British people-20150215_095839.jpg  
Old Feb 15th 2015, 10:50 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
Originally Posted by Alex2201
That seems very cheap....I have been to Mary Browns in NL and here but dont remember the food being any cheaper than KFC.....it is much better though I agree
It's not a place I eat at a lot, but Mary Browns here is way more expensive than that.

$8.50??? that is for the cask ales. There are a number of good quality micros for $6.50 or $6.75 or something like that.

6.9% for $5 ticks all the boxes for me. Oregon is a great deal with no sales tax and lots of quality micros.
You pay $7 a pint for regular swill in this part of the world so $8.50 for a pint of cask will be bearable. Just. As was GBP 3.80 in the hipster real ale pub in London (England) I was in last week. The sacrifices one makes...

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Feb 15th 2015 at 10:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.