Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Jul 7th 2014, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ideally people in Canada should be able to use both sets of measures equally and be able to do the translations in their heads but, if you have to master one system only, imperial is the one to have, no one is going to be able to offer you lumber or gardening supplies in metrograms.
If you think mastering a system that has units of 3 (3 feet = 1 yard), 12 (12 inches = 1 foot), 6 (6 feet = 1 fathom), 2240 (2240 lbs = 1 ton), 16 (16 ounces = 1lb) and has freezing and boiling points of 32 and 212, then more power to you...

I'm just happy plodding along with units of 10.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 2:42 am

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dashie
Please get off your high horse and learn to see the lighter side answering a question you asked and pointing out an error as discussed before in the thread. This is my 3rd post in a thread of over a dozen pages. Hardly time to treat anyone as anything.
I haven't got a clue what you are talking about. The lighter side of what? and what question did I ask?
Old Jul 7th 2014, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is that minus 40 F and minus 40 C are the same on a thermometer which essentially means ITS ****ING COLD.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 3:07 am

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
All I know is that minus 40 F and minus 40 C are the same on a thermometer which essentially means ITS ****ING COLD.
You got that right kiddo! That's what I faced the morning I took my eldest daughter to school for the first time here in Canada. Don't tell me anyone can be endeared to a country with temps like that. I didn't go out for two months after that my Husband picked her up. I said "You wanted to come here, suck it up") I must admit here in Windsor is much milder than Toronto and over the years the winters have become somewhat milder.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:59 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porthcawl
Welsh is quite a complex language and yes, it lacks vowels in may words and is quite difficult to pronounce for outsiders. Although I went to school in Newport Monmouthshire we were never taught Welsh either in primary-junior level or in High School. Monmouthshire is a county on the border of England and Wales and wasn't considered to be one or the other. However, English prevailed. I moved to the county of Glamorganshire which is the home of Cardiff the Capital of Wales. Porthcawl where I lived is a seaside resort and there Welsh is taught in schools but there was no bi-lingualism then. Not until the minority of die-hard Welsh speakers from West Wales started their ranting, but after all, Welsh is the language of the country of Wales so they really had every right to guard their language and heritage. I can read Welsh but for goodness sake don't ask me what I have just read as I took Welsh in school under sufferance. Over the last few years signs have now been erected in both languages but they have not gone as far as the obsessiveness of the French in Canada having it on every item of produce and piece of literature as the Government would not have that. No, Welsh is not spoken outside of Wales but there is actually a commune of Welsh speaking people in Patagonia- Argentina where a crowd of Welsh people went to for a new life in the 1800's when the coalmines were having such a hard time and it appeared Wales was going to be swallowed up by England which would have been a fate worse than death for the Welsh. There has always been animosity between the two countries especially when the Rugby International comes around.lol As for telephones, dial 1 for this and 2 for that there is only one answer - bring back the rotary 'phone.
Thanks you for a good reply. I agree that the bilingual labelling and official recordings can be a bit obsessive, it's an inefficiency and sometimes an inconvenience, but it's not reason to have any truck with the Québécois who after all are co-founders of the country. Just as Welsh is the language of Wales French is the language of (part of) Canada, and we should celebrate that. The increasing French immersion schooling in Anglo Canada is a great thing, and ent the country be better if there is more bilingualism.

I'm slightly puzzled as to why you have a bee in your bonnet about French when you speak Spanish and Italian fluently. Multilingual people are usually positive about other languages, and it would not be too difficult for you to learn a third Romance language. Perhaps Millie's little quip may have some truth in it?

P.S. That ain't no gorilla.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 11:01 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
If you think mastering a system that has units of 3 (3 feet = 1 yard), 12 (12 inches = 1 foot), 6 (6 feet = 1 fathom), 2240 (2240 lbs = 1 ton), 16 (16 ounces = 1lb) and has freezing and boiling points of 32 and 212, then more power to you...
Lots of British measures are odd. The English clown car I had needed British Standard Whitworth nuts for the valve rack. Try finding that in Regina in the 70's.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porthcawl
I haven't got a clue what you are talking about. The lighter side of what? and what question did I ask?
You asked if spell check was American. The lighter side of life and forum banter
Old Jul 7th 2014, 11:41 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Do people still use the long ton (2,240lb)? I haven't seen that around for many years. The short ton (2,000lb) was common in North America but also seems to have gone to meet its maker. The standard these days is the metric ton, or tonne (2,204lb and a bit).

I still use lb in my work at times because it's the standard unit for some things (although things are changing).

I know what my weight is in lb but not in kg. Most of my DIY work is done in Imperial because that is the standard, except for some imported stuff, but I think of distances in km rather than miles and I no longer understand temperatures that are not celsius.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 12:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

And that would be fine if we were in a country where things were built in 10s. In
the UK it works because the UK is part of the EU and the EU is metric so most things are supplied in dimensions divisible by 10. Canada is economically part of the US so items are supplied in US measures, converting 8'x4', 1lb or 10 acres to some number with many decimal places just so you can tell the government you've metriculated is rather silly.

Fortunately the townships here are behind the times and accept planning applications in imperial, possibly also in metric but I haven't tried that. The numbers they gave us for setbacks and the numbers Ontario Hydro gave us for running power were in imperial. I suppose the original numbers were imperial, then at some point the government changed to metric and the laws are now in metric. The customer service representative must convert them to imperial whenever someone wants an estimate.

Last edited by dbd33; Jul 7th 2014 at 12:18 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 12:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Lots of British measures are odd. The English clown car I had needed British Standard Whitworth nuts for the valve rack. Try finding that in Regina in the 70's.
I have a set of BSW spanners, should the need for them arise again.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 12:32 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have a set of BSW spanners, should the need for them arise again.
My dowel jig is Imperial. It's designed for 3/8" dowels. The drill bit supplied with it is metric.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 1:17 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
My dowel jig is Imperial. It's designed for 3/8" dowels. The drill bit supplied with it is metric.
British carp fishing accessories like banksticks, buzzbars, bite alarms, net handles are all 3/8 BSW and metric is just a little too loose. Machine shop supplier is too pricey but I bought a tap & die (Russian!) From China I think off ebay.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 1:37 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Tools come in metric or imperial? Fancy that!

I just have a hammer of unknown system, an adjustable wrench and a universal set of swear words.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 1:39 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Tools come in metric or imperial? Fancy that!

I just have a hammer of unknown system, an adjustable wrench and a universal set of swear words.
I have the same set.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 1:43 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I have to measure the weight and height of patients, no one ever knows what the metric measurements mean. They are just surprised when they weigh 100 instead of 220.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.