Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Jul 7th 2014, 12:21 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by Porthcawl
The attire you are dressed in on your picture, are you a French advocate or just extracting the michael?
Neither...Novo has dressed himself in various apparels over the years, some less successful than others. Personally I think "this" Novo sums himself up exactly.....a true internationalist with a chic hint of whit and good humour!

You have a great big French chip on your shoulder! Why do you hate them quite so much...did one toss you out of bed. Get a grip girl....we've been pottering on here together for a while now. You....blustering and 'astounding' us with your perceptive and imperial ways might get our backs up, and make us cross for a minute or two, but that's because we are collectively bored.

By the same token...you have lots of experience, that is valuable and great...why don't you lay down arms, share it with us in the 'right' fashion.... you might find a few new friends
Old Jul 7th 2014, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not annoyed about the people who don't speak English, heaven forbid there are probably enough people in the U.K. who don't either. I have a grievance over this country Canada which peppered French everywhere. Non English speaking immigrants who come here have enough problems learning English which is far more important than learning French don't your think? English is used almost world wide. Unless you live in a country which basically only speak there own language on the whole e.g. France, Spain Italy
Germany etc. but even they can resort to English when the need arises as they are taught in school but not strewn all over their country. Did you mean I was fortunate in not having received more caustic remarks or as you said unfortunate? I suppose my first impression of Canada especially Toronto where we first were was just too big, overbearing to say the least I couldn't handle it and missed home so much.
I hope you have a big supply of bandages, plasters and headache tablets on hand as you will need them (banging your head against the wall) UNLESS you let the language debate die out. The French speaking population are not going anywhere and the Charter of Rights section 16 is not going to be changed anytime if ever.
Section 16: English and French are the official languages of Canada and New Brunswick.
For the record I don't speak French.
P.S. Please stop burning down the English owned cottages in Wales.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 12:39 am

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I hope you have a big supply of bandages, plasters and headache tablets on hand as you will need them (banging your head against the wall) UNLESS you let the language debate die out. The French speaking population are not going anywhere and the Charter of Rights section 16 is not going to be changed anytime if ever.
Section 16: English and French are the official languages of Canada and New Brunswick.
For the record I don't speak French.
P.S. Please stop burning down the English owned cottages in Wales.
I am only answering things I am asked. Like the Gorilla Head asking me about the Welsh Language. I don't know if you read my response. Excuse the ignorance but why have you not included New Brunswick as in Canada?
Yes I know it is atrocious about the properties but do you know Wales had free prescriptions for everyone living in Wales until the English was giving Doctors fictitious addresses for their own benefit and ruined it for everyone. Incidentally, I don't get headaches I only give them to others.lol
Old Jul 7th 2014, 12:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should just let language evolve naturally, why force it onto people? Let people speak the language they desire.

My hometown and state is likely going to be majority non-English speaking in my life time, San Diego region is at 37% and California is at 43% who don't speak English at home as their first language.

Since English speakers tend to not be the segment producing new humans, its not likely English is going to remain dominant language there.

Granted the US federal government has no official language, however California does but its not going to keep English dominant in the next 100 years.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 1:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
My schooling in the UK was in metres, cm etc but then the road signs were all in miles and mph which didn't make a lot of sense. When I moved to Canada in 1981 it was all metric and in my job I only use metric measurements.
I think you must work for the government because, as you know, I, like most people, live in Canada in imperial measures. Today, for example, we've been building a deck using 8 and 10' planks. For the building permit it's 123.78 heptruplets via 72.94 nanograms but that's government, at the shop it's 10x16.

Even my francophone, educated in Canada post-1981, children measure houses in pc, the French abbreviation for square feet.

Ideally people in Canada should be able to use both sets of measures equally and be able to do the translations in their heads but, if you have to master one system only, imperial is the one to have, no one is going to be able to offer you lumber or gardening supplies in metrograms.

And, in response to the question about furlongs being used, Home Hardware, Tractor Supply and all of the Farmer's Co-ops, sell in rods poles and furlongs. (I don't know why they don't sell in perches but it may be that a perch happens to be the same as a Canadian kilojoule and they label things as such).
Old Jul 7th 2014, 1:10 am

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MillieF
Neither...Novo has dressed himself in various apparels over the years, some less successful than others. Personally I think "this" Novo sums himself up exactly.....a true internationalist with a chic hint of whit and good humour!

You have a great big French chip on your shoulder! Why do you hate them quite so much...did one toss you out of bed. Get a grip girl....we've been pottering on here together for a while now. You....blustering and 'astounding' us with your perceptive and imperial ways might get our backs up, and make us cross for a minute or two, but that's because we are collectively bored.

By the same token...you have lots of experience, that is valuable and great...why don't you lay down arms, share it with us in the 'right' fashion.... you might find a few new friends
Hello Millie F.
Is our spell check an America stream? only reading your quote the word Humour as has just come up in mine is underlined in red like it was an incorrect spelling, of course, we know differently. I think it must be the U which of course they don't use do they? However, A Frenchman in my bed! perish the thought and nobody has ever kicked me out! I thought this French stuff would have been one of the main topics in this site, I guess not, only for a few. Maybe because you are relatively new to the country, am I right or not. Lots of experience, you're right there, what do you want to know? I could tell you why I dislike the French but I had better shut up!
Old Jul 7th 2014, 1:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Another possibility of course is that you're fuchs01's wife cross-bred with dbd33's mother.
I will have you be knowing that my Mother has ignored both the metric system and the French language all her life without being offended by either. Her prejudices lie elsewhere.

Obviously she's no need to be learning metric at her time of life, she's not a computer person and so is better served by a system with numbers you can do in your head than learning to jab buttons she wouldn't easily see. I do think though that it's a shame she doesn't learn French, she would have a lot to share with the other side of the family of some of her grandchildren.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think you must work for the government because, as you know, I, like most people, live in Canada in imperial measures. Today, for example, we've been building a deck using 8 and 10' planks. For the building permit it's 123.78 heptruplets via 72.94 nanograms but that's government, at the shop it's 10x16.

Even my francophone, educated in Canada post-1981, children measure houses in pc, the French abbreviation for square feet.

Ideally people in Canada should be able to use both sets of measures equally and be able to do the translations in their heads but, if you have to master one system only, imperial is the one to have, no one is going to be able to offer you lumber or gardening supplies in metrograms.

And, in response to the question about furlongs being used, Home Hardware, Tractor Supply and all of the Farmer's Co-ops, sell in rods poles and furlongs. (I don't know why they don't sell in perches but it may be that a perch happens to be the same as a Canadian kilojoule and they label things as such).
Nice one! I know when the brick makers back home started producing in centimetres the poor builders were going nuts as they were short of supplies not enough bricks to finish the homes! The all had to re-measure.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Millie F.
Is our spell check an America stream? only reading your quote the word Humour as has just come up in mine is underlined in red like it was an incorrect spelling, of course, we know differently. I think it must be the U which of course they
Your spell check is whatever your computer is set to. It's humour with a lower case h in context of your sentence
Old Jul 7th 2014, 1:28 am

I will have you be knowing that my Mother has ignored both the metric system and the French language all her life without being offended by either. Her prejudices lie elsewhere.

Obviously she's no need to be learning metric at her time of life, she's not a computer person and so is better served by a system with numbers you can do in your head than learning to jab buttons she wouldn't easily see. I do think though that it's a shame she doesn't learn French, she would have a lot to share with the other side of the family of some of her grandchildren.
I don't think your Mother should feel obligated to learn anything and it's her Grandchildren's duty to accommodate her not the other way around.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 1:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

Nice one! I know when the brick makers back home started producing in centimetres the poor builders were going nuts as they were short of supplies not enough bricks to finish the homes! The all had to re-measure.
My brother is a bricklayer here, in Canada. He works in imperial, as houses are built in imperial. I think he'd struggle if he went home and had to start dealing with metric.

I try to take Partially Discharged with a pinch of salt and let him/her go but it's actual quite dishonest and misleading to newcomers to suggest that one could get by in Canada knowing only metric; not if you want to buy drywall.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Dashie
Your spell check is whatever your computer is set to. It's humour with a lower case h in context of your sentence
Yes, I'm well aware of the small h I simply put H as an emphasis. My English is as good if not better than most especially in this country so please stop treating me like some kind of ignoramous.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Please get off your high horse and learn to see the lighter side answering a question you asked and pointing out an error as discussed before in the thread. This is my 3rd post in a thread of over a dozen pages. Hardly time to treat anyone as anything.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 2:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

It's not heavily relevant but I smiled at this:

"It was an imperfect contest, certainly, but brilliant for all that, dipping and soaring through three times as many winners as unforced errors. Djokovic made Federer run 4,096 metres, and he put in a mere 3,773 metres. At the end they might each have weighed half a stone less than when they started."

Novak Djokovic wins Wimbledon title after epic win over Roger Federer | Sport | theguardian.com

Metric like Canada, innit?
Old Jul 7th 2014, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

It's not heavily relevant but I smiled at this:

"It was an imperfect contest, certainly, but brilliant for all that, dipping and soaring through three times as many winners as unforced errors. Djokovic made Federer run 4,096 metres, and he put in a mere 3,773 metres. At the end they might each have weighed half a stone less than when they started."

Novak Djokovic wins Wimbledon title after epic win over Roger Federer | Sport | theguardian.com

Metric like Canada, innit?
Agreed...Stick with one or the other. I do not work for the government, but have to deal with various government bodies in my line of work and generally if you are going to put dimensions in only one unit of measurement it is in metric...if you want to put it in imperial you can but the municipality won't take it if it is only in imperial. The requirements/standards/setbacks etc are only in metric measurements.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.