Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:21 pm

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by Shard
UKIP supporter by any chance?
I'm not particularly politically minded they are all cheats and liars anyway. Promises Promises.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Canadians call Wimbledon "Wimbleton"
and here in Ottawa, they often refer to an east end community in Ottawa as

Glos-ses-ter and that community on the south side of Lake Simcoe as Kes wick and I have also heard Totten ham for the town near Orangeville. As well there is a football team called Full Ham
Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:49 pm

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
When, and why, exactly did you come to Canada. The fact that we have 2 official languages is one of the things that makes this country wonderful and enhances the place.

By 'creeping in the km's and litres' I assume you mean pre mid 1970's which is almost 40 years ago.

FYI the metric system is pretty well the only system taught 'back home' and math has been done in SI units only since 1988.

What is the basis behind your statement that you were not taught the metric system back home and you're not going to learn it now. Was your acceptance of Canadian standards somehow frozen in time and grandfathered to what you learnt in school 'back home'.

If you speak italian and spanish fluently I would have thought that the metric system would have been fairly easy to comprehend.

I can't decide if you are a troll, or Billy Britain (Viz) brought to life .

I was in school from 1945 - 1961 and then 2years of commercial college. Don't tell me what I learned in school I'm telling you. I learned in feet, inches yards miles and furlongs(ever heard of those?) also pounds,ounces. quarters pints and quarts. One would buy a quarter of sherbert lemons (is that what you've been eating all your life?) Learning a language does not necessarily incorporate weights and measures. I notice your writing of the languages I speak were underlined in red Perhaps a capital I and S would have been in order! Yes, I came to Canada many years ago but went back home as I couldn't stand living in a pigeon loft(flat) I was used to a front and back door and garden and the odour in the apartment block of all the different cooking was disgusting. Also I could not tolerate 40 below freezing. I returned in 2001when my Husband retired, bought a lot and built a house which is lovely unfortunately my Husband passed away 23rd December 2013 and I am now trying to do the best I can. I thought joining this site would help but all you people seem to do is snipe at one another so I thought that was the way to go. Talking about languages, yes, English is a bastard language but it's the best bastard language I know/
Old Jul 6th 2014, 4:15 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

My sympathy on the loss of your husband.

Don't get frustrated with this site, it's a great place to vent and challenge and support, but most of all, have a laugh. Don't take anything too personally - you're free to shout your own opinions but others are free to challenge, as are you with theirs.

Be yourself, be mostly polite, be interesting. It's a great way to interact with a lot of interesting people.

Where about in Canada are you?
Old Jul 6th 2014, 4:28 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Canada basically copies everything the US does so I always thought the switch over to metric was them being a bit obtuse.

Oh and Porthcawl, welcome to the site.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 4:34 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
They do? Never noticed but then I haven't heard anyone discussing Wimbledon.
They do. At least some do. Had a big debate about it once.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:18 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porthcawl
I was in school from 1945 - 1961 and then 2years of commercial college. Don't tell me what I learned in school I'm telling you. I learned in feet, inches yards miles and furlongs(ever heard of those?) also pounds,ounces. quarters pints and quarts. One would buy a quarter of sherbert lemons (is that what you've been eating all your life?) Learning a language does not necessarily incorporate weights and measures. I notice your writing of the languages I speak were underlined in red Perhaps a capital I and S would have been in order! Yes, I came to Canada many years ago but went back home as I couldn't stand living in a pigeon loft(flat) I was used to a front and back door and garden and the odour in the apartment block of all the different cooking was disgusting. Also I could not tolerate 40 below freezing. I returned in 2001when my Husband retired, bought a lot and built a house which is lovely unfortunately my Husband passed away 23rd December 2013 and I am now trying to do the best I can. I thought joining this site would help but all you people seem to do is snipe at one another so I thought that was the way to go. Talking about languages, yes, English is a bastard language but it's the best bastard language I know/
I'm sorry to hear of the recent loss of your husband.

Hang around here, we get better
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
My sympathy on the loss of your husband.

Don't get frustrated with this site, it's a great place to vent and challenge and support, but most of all, have a laugh. Don't take anything too personally - you're free to shout your own opinions but others are free to challenge, as are you with theirs.

Be yourself, be mostly polite, be interesting. It's a great way to interact with a lot of interesting people.

Where about in Canada are you?
Thank you for your condolences. I wasn't really searching for them but I just answered a few questions. I am living just outside of Windsor. Ont. pleasant area and I just love driving down to the river front(Detroit River that is) and watching the fishermen and people passing. I never venture over the bridge though as watching the channel 4 news with all the shootings and killings going on in that place frightens the dickens out of me.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by bats
I'm sorry to hear of the recent loss of your husband.

Hang around here, we get better
Thank you. I really was all ready to quit but my curiosity got the better of me.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I find the animosity between the English and French speakers in Canada quite funny and entertaining. The unabashed racism towards the native peoples is not, its shameful and very sad.
Funny French and English have been going at it for years anyway! My OH always has a moan about French being on all packages etc and he has actually witnessed French speaking people turning labels around on shelves where he works so that the French is facing forward! I just turn a blind eye and it does not bother me. In fact I wish I could speak better French! I also speak a bit of Dutch!

However I agree with what you say bout the racism towards First Nations is appalling and I detest it! I think all Canadians should spend a night or two on Comorant Island, Alert Bay and attend their museum in the old Residential school and perhaps they will have some empathy with the first Canadians!

To me the main differences between Brit and Canadian is humour, food, friendships (Canadians are shallow) Newspapers (Canadian put the good news on page 1 and bad at the bottom of page 3 while British papers do it the other way around) pubs, sport and finally politics. I do not see much British influence here at all any more as we are moving towards becoming so much more American!

But as you probably all know I miss Britain and the way of life there! Canada is still a beautiful place though and on nice sunny days when we are buying prawns off the boat for $2/lb I think we should stay here longer
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your husband, it must be tough now Come on over to MBTUK it is more gentle there
Old Jul 6th 2014, 6:02 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I am living just outside of Windsor. Ont. [/QUOTE]
Are you near Belle River? I have a sister in Belle River.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

My parents were roughly in school at the same time as you and they lived in the UK from their early 40's and they have managed to deal with mm,cm, metres, degrees centigrade etc w/o blowing a gasket. A furlong is 660 feet.

My schooling in the UK was in metres, cm etc but then the road signs were all in miles and mph which didn't make a lot of sense. When I moved to Canada in 1981 it was all metric and in my job I only use metric measurements.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your husband and I hope you can enjoy this forum but if you are going to go on the attack about people in Canada who don't speak english, use metric, cook foods with strong odours, be prepared for some responses. In terms of food with strong odours, many true blue Canadians (even those who speak english) are not crazy about the smell of kippers or roast lamb. To each his own.

I do however agree with you that if you live near Windsor that the nearby US offerings are not too appealing. The unfortunate part about Detroit is that many areas of the City itself are no go areas and then the suburbs could be anywhere USA.

In terms of sniping commenters, unfortunately you haven't received the ire of some of the more caustic ones on this site.

Old Jul 6th 2014, 6:46 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I learned imperial measurements inEngland the for work learnt metric. I moved to canada and had to move back to imperial for work. Confusing
Old Jul 6th 2014, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

US measurements is what I learned growing up in the 80's and 90's. Metric was very lightly touched on in elementary school, but I mean very lightly, basically 1 or 2 lectures on it and that was it.

I've been in Canada 10 years I think now, maybe 11, its been too long I can't even remember..lol but any how, I am still no metric pro, but luckily the stores price everything per pound, still makes no sense to me when I see 50kg, I have no clue how heavy that actually is.

I know 15C is comfortable, and 30C is not, and 0 is freezing, but I could not tell you what their F counterpart is.

Distance I have figure out, speed as well.

I still prefer the US system, and tend to revert to it since its what I know, and only use metric when I am talking to a Canadian.

I use inches and feet for everything, meters and CM makes no sense to me still, always have to convert to understand it.

French labels don't bug me, bilingual labels have always been part of my life, was spanish as the 2nd, now its french.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 6th 2014 at 8:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.