Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Jul 5th 2014, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by Porthcawl
Rude, aggressive. not me, I was raised to have respect but also to speak up for myself. With regards to capital letters it seems nobody uses them any more with all the texting that goes on. No more punctuation, paragraphs or proper beginning and ending of sentences. A Forum is a means of communication for debate. I do not hide behind anonymity. If your that desperate to know who I am all you have to do is ask. I hope this is you last attack on me.
You are not using capital letters correctly though.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it''s the French who are the troublemakers. One person was driving over the Ambassador Bridge into Canada and demanded and officer who could speak French!! As if the Immigration aren't busy enough to worry about his pettiness.
Needless to say he was not accommodated and had to proceed in English.
Good on them.
The good thing about working for the Federal Govt is that we have a great recycling programme for recycling all the French only publications that sit on our shelves collecting dust
Usually when we have people demanding service in French and there is no bi-lingual officer available but one will be available in 1 hour its amazing how they then revert to English
Old Jul 5th 2014, 12:33 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I find the animosity between the English and French speakers in Canada quite funny and entertaining. The unabashed racism towards the native peoples is not, its shameful and very sad.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 12:38 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

No, I have never been to Quebec and I have no desire to either.Let's face it the British have never liked the French and vice-versa.
Yes, the British and French were only allies in two world wars, after all... heard of the Entente Cordiale?

Look at the protests when our Royals visit Canada from the "French" contingency it's atrocious.
There are a fair number of anti-monarchists throughout Canada.

I would never give up my British Citizenship for the world. I go Home at least twice a year and to sit on that airline for 7hrs listening to everything repeated in French drives me crazy.
If you still think as the UK as home then it doesn't sound as though you've made much attempt to assimilate.

For goodness sake 99% of the people speak English anyway so what's with that? If you like French so much Why not move to France and have done with it?
Because of the 1% who don't? Which in fact is more than 1%? Heard of the Official Languages Act and the Charter of Rights?

23% of the population of Canada speak French as their first language, are you seriously suggesting that 23% of the population emigrate?
Old Jul 5th 2014, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Because of the 1% who don't? Which in fact is more than 1%? Heard of the Official Languages Act and the Charter of Rights?

23% of the population of Canada speak French as their first language, are you seriously suggesting that 23% of the population emigrate?
Come on, listening to airline announcements in another language, cruel and unusual punishment surely.

P.S. I am mad.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 12:49 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Has everyone forgotten the war of 1759 when Britain fought hard for this country.
Have you forgotten the Québec Act 1774? Which led to the Revolutionary War because a lot of people kind of had your opinion about the French?

Canada was uni-lingual for so long so why change? It was the Quebec people (Trudeau) who introduced this nonsense and for what?
To recognize the fact that 23% of the population are francophones?

Quebec are always threatening to separate so, what's stopping them.
A referendum, which they lost.

I like Canada as a Country it is beautiful but with one lone exception and you know what that is.
The lack of casual racism?
Old Jul 5th 2014, 1:00 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The good thing about working for the Federal Govt is that we have a great recycling programme for recycling all the French only publications that sit on our shelves collecting dust
Usually when we have people demanding service in French and there is no bi-lingual officer available but one will be available in 1 hour its amazing how they then revert to English
I certainly have dealt with people in the civil service whose English has been quite poor, a lot of Federal offices are in Québec and New Brunswick. I can think of two occasions where they just couldn't understand what I was on about and I had to use French.

The problem is that they say they're bilingual to get the job, but in reality they're only really competent at one language and pretty poor at the other.

I'm not surprised people in Québec get annoyed because they probably deal with this problem every day of dealing with people who supposedly speak French and can't and it's definitely not true that they're all fluent in English, they definitely aren't.

I remember making a joke to someone at the CRA about the demand for the Alberta T1 in French which went down like a lead balloon because the agent told me they get something like 50,000 T1s submitted from Alberta in French.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly have dealt with people in the civil service whose English has been quite poor, a lot of Federal offices are in Québec and New Brunswick. I can think of two occasions where they just couldn't understand what I was on about and I had to use French.

The problem is that they say they're bilingual to get the job, but in reality they're only really competent at one language and pretty poor at the other.

I'm not surprised people in Québec get annoyed because they probably deal with this problem every day of dealing with people who supposedly speak French and can't and it's definitely not true that they're all fluent in English, they definitely aren't.

I remember making a joke to someone at the CRA about the demand for the Alberta T1 in French which went down like a lead balloon because the agent told me they get something like 50,000 T1s submitted from Alberta in French.
I was hired as a unilingual officer English however the PS mandate and law is to offer service of our clients choice. I have no problem with that as I am only obliged to say Bonjour. Of course we have a cheat sheet with phrases like
Un moment si'il vous plait and I will get a French speaking officer for you. We have the Federal language police visit and clear Customs or phoning us up to see if we offer this service and submit reports. I have several times phoned Govt offices in Quebec where I have not been offered service in English. So if I am mandated to do it under law then why can't they as they are under the same mandate and law.
What really pisses the language police off is when you bastardize the pronunciation and say Bonjuwer or un moment silver plate. Hey I don't speak French so don't criticize my pronunciation at least Im trying
Old Jul 5th 2014, 1:25 am

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You are not using capital letters correctly though.
Enlighten me!
Old Jul 5th 2014, 1:35 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Bonsoir.

Last edited by caretaker; Jul 5th 2014 at 1:39 am.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 2:03 am

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Steve_;11325578]Yes, the British and French were only allies in two world wars, after all... heard of the Entente Cordiale?

No never heard of that. translate please

There are a fair number of anti-monarchists throughout Canada.

If you still think as the UK as home then it doesn't sound as though you've made much attempt to assimilate.

I probably will never adapt.

23% of the population of Canada speak French as their first language, are you seriously suggesting that 23% of the population emigrate?[/QU
Old Jul 5th 2014, 2:23 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

The reality is: wouldn't it be great if everyone spoke the same language, but they don't and they never will. I often feel the urgent need to throttle people who say: "anyways" so the best strategy is to just not get wound up about things you can't do anything about.

And frankly the world would be boring if everyone did speak the same language.

I think this attitude is some latent thing British people have, which is why they had an Empire, going around the world telling people how to live and think. Unfortunately it's also out-of-date and condescending. The reality is that Britain is a small island in the North Sea and the rest of the world no longer gives a crap what the British think. As was implied far more eloquently by many members of the First Nations recently when the Williams decision came down.

The only other people who have the same attitude I think are the Russians, look at Putin with his "let's rebuild the USSR" nonsense. You lost the Cold War, accept the reality of it. Britain is no longer an Empire, accept the reality of it.

Canadians on the other hand are fully aware that no-one gives a shit what they think, which is why they're so laid back, generally speaking, imo.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 2:44 am

The reality is: wouldn't it be great if everyone spoke the same language, but they don't and they never will. I often feel the urgent need to throttle people who say: "anyways" so the best strategy is to just not get wound up about things you can't do anything about.

And frankly the world would be boring if everyone did speak the same language.

I think this attitude is some latent thing British people have, which is why they had an Empire, going around the world telling people how to live and think. Unfortunately it's also out-of-date and condescending. The reality is that Britain is a small island in the North Sea and the rest of the world no longer gives a crap what the British think. As was implied far more eloquently by many members of the First Nations recently when the Williams decision came down.

The only other people who have the same attitude I think are the Russians, look at Putin with his "let's rebuild the USSR" nonsense. You lost the Cold War, accept the reality of it. Britain is no longer an Empire, accept the reality of it.

Canadians on the other hand are fully aware that no-one gives a shit what they think, which is why they're so laid back, generally speaking, imo.

I suppose you are right then why are the French speakers trying to rule Canada when they lost the damn war? I mean, they don't even consider themselves to be Canadian albeit having been born here. I was born in Britain of an English Mother and a Father with Italian heritage so what does that make me (apart from a mongrel) I consider myself to be British and proud.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 2:56 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Last I checked the PQ lost the last election in Québec and the BQ lost massively to the NDP in the last Federal election in Québec.

As with Mr Salmond in Scotland, beware of snake oil salesmen. When Mr Salmond finally retires, I expect the SNP to meet a similar fate.

In fairness, French speakers were discriminated against in Québec so it's hardly surprising they agitated for separation, among other things. But opportunists like the BQ took advantage.

I'm not particularly a fan of Québécois exclusivity (less politely known as a recipe for corruption), I think some of their provincial laws and their refusal to accept parts of the Charter is totally stupid, but they're here to stay, like it or not. There are a lot of francophones all over Canada, not just in Québec and that is Canada. Canada wouldn't be Canada if it didn't have French-speaking Catholics in it. They did help massively in defeating the Americans during the War of 1812, after all.

The one thing that does get me is that immigrants to Québec have to go into french language schools, even if they're from English-speaking countries. Now that is idiotic.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 3:25 am

Last I checked the PQ lost the last election in Québec and the BQ lost massively to the NDP in the last Federal election in Québec.

As with Mr Salmond in Scotland, beware of snake oil salesmen. When Mr Salmond finally retires, I expect the SNP to meet a similar fate.

In fairness, French speakers were discriminated against in Québec so it's hardly surprising they agitated for separation, among other things. But opportunists like the BQ took advantage.

I'm not particularly a fan of Québécois exclusivity (less politely known as a recipe for corruption), I think some of their provincial laws and their refusal to accept parts of the Charter is totally stupid, but they're here to stay, like it or not. There are a lot of francophones all over Canada, not just in Québec and that is Canada. Canada wouldn't be Canada if it didn't have French-speaking Catholics in it. They did help massively in defeating the Americans during the War of 1812, after all.

The one thing that does get me is that immigrants to Québec have to go into french language schools, even if they're from English-speaking countries. Now that is idiotic.
That is something I would refuse to do point blank. I would move to another Province. Well, I think my time is up on this site so I'll just say. Grazie per le risposte, buonanotte e arrivaderci a tutti.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.