Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Jul 4th 2014, 7:10 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by Souvy
The only folk I've come across that capitalise common nouns have been Germans or engineers.
He sounds a bit like that poster that lives in Germany and professes to be a Brit but always has such odd syntax. Forgot his name. I get a bit suspicious when some joins the forum with guns blazing.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 7:11 pm

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shard
Why all the misplaced capital letters in every one of your posts?
Well Hello Professor! I was always taught that a capital comes after each Full
Stop, and of course for nouns,countries and other things where applicable.
It's not my English you need to worry about, it's the Children in this country whose spelling is atrocious.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 7:39 pm

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of

He sounds a bit like that poster that lives in Germany and professes to be a Brit but always has such odd syntax. Forgot his name. I get a bit suspicious when some joins the forum with guns blazing.

Who is "He"? I wasn't aware that a poster lived anywhere only that it is a piece of paper one adheres to a surface! All guns blazing, no sweetie but if you want straight talking and no B.S. you have found the right person to give it.
With regards to Germany, that place to me is another unmentionable.
Are you British incidentally?
Old Jul 4th 2014, 7:49 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
The only folk I've come across that capitalise common nouns have been Germans or engineers.
No we don't.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 7:59 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porthcawl
Well Hello Professor! I was always taught that a capital comes after each Full
Stop, and of course for nouns,countries and other things where applicable.
It's not my English you need to worry about, it's the Children in this country whose spelling is atrocious.
Proper nouns only, not just any old noun you fancy.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 8:07 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Who is "He"? I wasn't aware that a poster lived anywhere only that it is a piece of paper one adheres to a surface! All guns blazing, no sweetie but if you want straight talking and no B.S. you have found the right person to give it.
With regards to Germany, that place to me is another unmentionable.
Are you British incidentally?
Going on the clues so far, I'd say that our new friend is Welsh, female, likes a drop of cider of a morning, and is pretty damned tasty with her fists.

Welcome!
Old Jul 4th 2014, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Going on the clues so far, I'd say that our new friend is Welsh, female, likes a drop of cider of a morning, and is pretty damned tasty with her fists.

Welcome!

Well Hello! so far, two rights and two wrongs and a possible third right.That being pretty tasty, but not with my fists my mouth can cut much deeper, and as regards to cider, I'm a top shelf person myself. Thanks for the welcome.

Last edited by Porthcawl; Jul 4th 2014 at 8:39 pm. Reason: Correction.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 9:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well Hello! so far, two rights and two wrongs and a possible third right.That being pretty tasty, but not with my fists my mouth can cut much deeper, and as regards to cider, I'm a top shelf person myself. Thanks for the welcome.
You ain't done much cutting yet, hombre. You're a proper giggle though.

What do you think of the EU?
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:14 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

What is it Porthcawl that brought you to BE Canada Forum? Have you been lurking for a while before joining us?

We are possibly coming across badly, and if so you must forgive us...but you seem somewhat combative...Why?
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:48 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
What is it Porthcawl that brought you to BE Canada Forum? Have you been lurking for a while before joining us?

We are possibly coming across badly, and if so you must forgive us...but you seem somewhat combative...Why?
Some people are just like that. Some people are insecure and use aggression or confrontation as a means of deflecting attention from the real issues or challenges they have personally. Some people are just plain rude. Some people enjoy the anonymous aggression that a forum allows them - without any chance of physical threat. My neighbour refers to a version of this as "little man syndrome".

I'm sure a psychiatrist or psychologist could tell us something about the rather random use of capital letters at the beginning of some words!
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
What I experienced in my short stay in Quebec (mostly Montreal) was that they want you to try to speak French. When I used my high-school French and it wasn't enough they would often relent and speak English (when they could) with no hard feelings. They don't come here and assume everyone is going to speak French so it seems fair that Anglos make an effort to speak their language when in Quebec.
Edit: iirc I dropped French after grade 9 or 10 because I was failing anyway so 'high-school French' is incorrect. It was taught from grade 7 on, I think. And so we were introduced to French, sex education, and puberty all at the same time.
Sometimes some Quebec folk come out west and expect service in French, not the norm though, but I have seen it happen every so often.

Happened in a court case here in BC as well when a francophone group tabled their court papers in French and refused to translate the documents into English, the Supreme Court sided with the BC Government saying court documents do indeed have to translated into English from French.

Seems to be mostly fringe groups who just want to cause trouble though, and not something that is the norm though.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Fuchs something.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF

Lurking, no. I came across this site by accident and thought it might be a good idea to join and find out what most expats thought about Canada on the whole.
I as you have probably gathered do not like bi-lingualism full stop. Has everyone forgotten the war of 1759 when Britain fought hard for this country.
Ruled admirably for many years and as you know still celebrates Queen Victoria Day. Canada was uni-lingual for so long so why change? It was the Quebec people (Trudeau) who introduced this nonsense and for what? Quebec are
always threatening to separate so, what's stopping them. Canada are probably worried about the parcels of land which were not given to them only loaned. But, I can't see them ever doing that as they would be missing out on so much! Combative? once again no. I am sorry if I have given you that impression. I like Canada as a Country it is beautiful but with one lone exception and you know what that is.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Sometimes some Quebec folk come out west and expect service in French, not the norm though, but I have seen it happen every so often.

Happened in a court case here in BC as well when a francophone group tabled their court papers in French and refused to translate the documents into English, the Supreme Court sided with the BC Government saying court documents do indeed have to translated into English from French.

Seems to be mostly fringe groups who just want to cause trouble though, and not something that is the norm though.
Yes it''s the French who are the troublemakers. One person was driving over the Ambassador Bridge into Canada and demanded and officer who could speak French!! As if the Immigration aren't busy enough to worry about his pettiness.
Needless to say he was not accommodated and had to proceed in English.
Good on them.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Some people are just like that. Some people are insecure and use aggression or confrontation as a means of deflecting attention from the real issues or challenges they have personally. Some people are just plain rude. Some people enjoy the anonymous aggression that a forum allows them - without any chance of physical threat. My neighbour refers to a version of this as "little man syndrome".

I'm sure a psychiatrist or psychologist could tell us something about the rather random use of capital letters at the beginning of some words!
Rude, aggressive. not me, I was raised to have respect but also to speak up for myself. With regards to capital letters it seems nobody uses them any more with all the texting that goes on. No more punctuation, paragraphs or proper beginning and ending of sentences. A Forum is a means of communication for debate. I do not hide behind anonymity. If your that desperate to know who I am all you have to do is ask. I hope this is your last attack on me.

Last edited by Porthcawl; Jul 5th 2014 at 12:19 am. Reason: Correction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.