Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Jan 31st 2015, 10:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
Most rail freight in the UK moves at night so as not to interfere with faster or high speed passenger trains. I lived within 50 feet of a main line and i could set my watch by the time a bulk train came through every night, the semi bungalow i owned would rock as it went by lol Although after a while you just sleep through it.
I did Geography at school but a new fancy class just started called Social Studies lol so i did both for a while, I don't use an atlas now i prefer Google Earth it works much better and Google Mars too.

We had a class called Man in Society but I'm not what the curriculum was as the teacher never seemed to turn up so we just used to naff off down the pub instead.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 11:08 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
We had a class called Man in Society but I'm not what the curriculum was as the teacher never seemed to turn up so we just used to naff off down the pub instead.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 1:29 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Regardless of learning geography at school - or not - wasn't it interesting just to randomly turn over the pages in an atlas and see where places were?

I still do it now, except mostly on line instead.
Oh I do like a nice map. Ordnance Survey maps are especially orgasmic.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
The bigger the scale the bigger the orgasm
Old Feb 1st 2015, 3:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's all those nice contour lines with peaks and plateaus.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I have a book of Hodksinson's Map of Suffolk in 1783, very pretty. Lots of tiny trees and representations of buildings. Never had an orgasm from looking at it though.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

discouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant future

Back on topic. My 2c worth, based on 5 years residence in Alberta. A lot of you won't like it.

I find Canada cold, in every sense of the word. The Canadians I have had to deal with on a daily basis I have found to be unreliable, untrustworthy, insular and closet racist - the latter demonstrated in their condescending attitude to both low-paid service workers from 3rd world countries and also foreign-educated professionals like myself who dare to trespass on their cosy professional circles. They think that they live in the greatest country on earth, and that they and their kids are the best educated on the planet. Wrong. Most of them couldn't point out anywhere other than Canada, Mexico or the US on a world map, which is hardly surprising as most have not strayed any further than Mexico, Hawaii and Disneyland on holiday. They only other country that matters to them is the US, and the rest of the world they know about (probably just Mexico) as far as they are concerned can get screwed.

In summary, I couldn't find Canadians to be more different from British people. For all their many faults at least you know where you stand with British people most of the time, good and bad. You can't say the same for Canadians. Canadians are strange. Their country is a cultureless, soulless shell of a place and I can't get away from it quick enough.

Just in my experience, of course. Please feel free to disagree.

Last edited by discouraged; Feb 2nd 2015 at 5:22 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yet thousands and thousands are still applying to move here strange eh.
I suppose all the Poles and other EU members have been welcomed with open arms in the UK when seeking employment.
My thoughts are Canadians are slightly less arrogant than the Yanks (super power country lets kick ass mentality) and the Brits (we once had an Empire you know old chap).
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discouraged
Back on topic. My 2c worth, based on 5 years residence in Alberta. A lot of you won't like it.

I find Canada cold, in every sense of the word. The Canadians I have had to deal with on a daily basis I have found to be unreliable, untrustworthy, insular and closet racist - the latter demonstrated in their condescending attitude to both low-paid service workers from 3rd world countries and also foreign-educated professionals like myself who dare to trespass on their cosy professional circles. They think that they live in the greatest country on earth, and that they and their kids are the best educated on the planet. Wrong. Most of them couldn't point out anywhere other than Canada, Mexico or the US on a world map, which is hardly surprising as most have not strayed any further than Mexico, Hawaii and Disneyland on holiday. They only other country that matters to them is the US, and the rest of the world they know about (probably just Mexico) as far as they are concerned can get screwed.

In summary, I couldn't find Canadians to be more different from British people. For all their many faults at least you know where you stand with British people most of the time, good and bad. You can't say the same for Canadians. Canadians are strange. Their country is a cultureless, soulless shell of a place and I can't get away from it quick enough.

Completely disagree. Guess it depends where you live and who you're interacting with, but on the whole I've found Canadians to be more reliable, embracing etc etc. The racism point you make is interesting, I find exactly the same from British people and in some instances worse, so wouldn't say that's just a Canadian thing.

Take last night for example, went to a SuperBore party here in the UK. Other than the two people I knew, none of the others were really interested in talking to me when I tried to initiate convo (I promise I'm not boring haha) My experience in Canada, Canadians were interested in getting to know me, my background, welcome me into their groups and go out of their way to help me, and had that situation been in Canada it would have been a totally different experience.

Like I said, completely depends on your circumstance but on the whole I've not had a bad experience with Canadians, other than one who said I'm taking all their jobs, which funnily enough reminded me of a scene from South Park.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 3:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of circles are you referring to? Given the high % of immigrants in Canada it somehow doesn't ring true (some of it at least). Also, hard to generalise across all Canadians; a bit like saying all English are the same, when there's obviously a difference between Northerners and Southerners.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 3:47 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
I have a book of Hodksinson's Map of Suffolk in 1783, very pretty. Lots of tiny trees and representations of buildings. Never had an orgasm from looking at it though.
Ooooo post a photom
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

discouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Shard
What kind of circles are you referring to? Given the high % of immigrants in Canada it somehow doesn't ring true (some of it at least). Also, hard to generalise across all Canadians; a bit like saying all English are the same, when there's obviously a difference between Northerners and Southerners.
Like I said, professional circles and also like I said, just in my experience.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 7:43 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Completely disagree. Guess it depends where you live and who you're interacting with, but on the whole I've found Canadians to be more reliable, embracing etc etc. The racism point you make is interesting, I find exactly the same from British people and in some instances worse, so wouldn't say that's just a Canadian thing.

Take last night for example, went to a SuperBore party here in the UK. Other than the two people I knew, none of the others were really interested in talking to me when I tried to initiate convo (I promise I'm not boring haha) My experience in Canada, Canadians were interested in getting to know me, my background, welcome me into their groups and go out of their way to help me, and had that situation been in Canada it would have been a totally different experience.

Like I said, completely depends on your circumstance but on the whole I've not had a bad experience with Canadians, other than one who said I'm taking all their jobs, which funnily enough reminded me of a scene from South Park.
It could depend on what part of Canada your in. In Vancouver, for example, I don't find people all that friendly beyond superficial niceties. Social get togethers after work are virtually non-existent unless your accepted into their cozy clique. When I was growing up in Canada years ago I thought people were more friendly.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 8:10 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

There is a void of human spirit, an absence of anything worthwhile and their Mexican food is shit.

Last edited by Oink; Feb 2nd 2015 at 8:13 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 8:25 pm
Yo

Like I said, professional circles and also like I said, just in my experience.
Oil patch?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.