Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Jan 29th 2015, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Canadians are unfunny people who are a mix of the nasty bits of the french and the boring bits of the brits. Pretty bland actually. They're also really shit drivers. That said, they will happily give you a shitload of money while the economy is really good if they can't find any canadians to do the work. On the other hand, when things are hard, doors close pretty fast. I expect, for example, Calgary to be a pretty hostile place to be if you're a new immigrant looking for work in the next year. Canadians aren't overtly hostile to your face though. They might talk about you behind your back and will do the usual stab-you-in-the-back politics stuff same as back home. They are seriously thin skinned when you criticize anything at all about Canada, particularly in Ontario. In the west they won't like it but probably won't get angry unlike ontarians who will argue with you and hate you for ever afterwards.

Their good traits is they tend to be stoic rules followers so other than not dishing out the work when times are hard they are very very fair. There tend to be very many less chancers in terms of scam artists here I've found. Hardly anyone every steals anything too.

Brits I find to be bluntly aggressive, condescending back stabbers and scam artists as negative traits. Thievery is also rife. Absolutely everything will disappear if it's not locked down. I also can't stand the random and not so random violence. Britain just generally feels much less safe.

On the bright side, Brits will empathise when things are going badly, whereas Canucks will say it's your own fault for not being 100% prepared for every situation. In that, I find Brits to be more reasonable and realistic. I like the British sense of humour better. I find the British education system far more helpful if your kids need any kind of help. The Canadian one is more geared towards boasting about how gifted your kids are and no tolerance for anyone who needs help.

The main difference is Canadians are just annoying and you can live with it whereas Brits pervasive sense of how shite things are in the UK eventually gets to you and infects your soul (even though Britain has many things about it that are awesome that Canada just doesn't have).

In the end it's a wash. You get used to the annoying things about Canadians just like you get used to the annoying things about Brits.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdb
Canadians are unfunny people who are a mix of the nasty bits of the french and the boring bits of the brits. Pretty bland actually. They're also really shit drivers. That said, they will happily give you a shitload of money while the economy is really good if they can't find any canadians to do the work. They are seriously thin skinned when you criticize anything at all about Canada, particularly in Ontario. In the west they won't like it but probably won't get angry unlike ontarians who will argue with you and hate you for ever afterwards.
+1 to all of these. In their thin-skin about criticisms of Canada i also find most are incredibly ignorant about what happens outside their stupid little bubble of Canada and the US.

Their good traits is they tend to be stoic rules followers
Am I the only one that sees this as bad? I find a side effect of this is they tattletale alot, when they could just mind their business.

On the bright side, Brits will empathise when things are going badly, whereas Canucks will say it's your own fault for not being 100% prepared for every situation. I find the British education system far more helpful if your kids need any kind of help. The Canadian one is more geared towards boasting about how gifted your kids are and no tolerance for anyone who needs help.
Gah i hate this one... and the education system here is really shite i agree.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Interesting. One of my Canadian friends who moved to the UK for university when I asked her if she could imagine living here permanently, she said not if she had kids because the school system in her opinion is awful here
Old Jan 29th 2015, 4:41 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdb
Canadians are unfunny people who are a mix of the nasty bits of the french and the boring bits of the brits. Pretty bland actually. They're also really shit drivers. That said, they will happily give you a shitload of money while the economy is really good if they can't find any canadians to do the work. On the other hand, when things are hard, doors close pretty fast. I expect, for example, Calgary to be a pretty hostile place to be if you're a new immigrant looking for work in the next year. Canadians aren't overtly hostile to your face though. They might talk about you behind your back and will do the usual stab-you-in-the-back politics stuff same as back home. They are seriously thin skinned when you criticize anything at all about Canada, particularly in Ontario. In the west they won't like it but probably won't get angry unlike ontarians who will argue with you and hate you for ever afterwards.

Their good traits is they tend to be stoic rules followers so other than not dishing out the work when times are hard they are very very fair. There tend to be very many less chancers in terms of scam artists here I've found. Hardly anyone every steals anything too.

Brits I find to be bluntly aggressive, condescending back stabbers and scam artists as negative traits. Thievery is also rife. Absolutely everything will disappear if it's not locked down. I also can't stand the random and not so random violence. Britain just generally feels much less safe.

On the bright side, Brits will empathise when things are going badly, whereas Canucks will say it's your own fault for not being 100% prepared for every situation. In that, I find Brits to be more reasonable and realistic. I like the British sense of humour better. I find the British education system far more helpful if your kids need any kind of help. The Canadian one is more geared towards boasting about how gifted your kids are and no tolerance for anyone who needs help.

The main difference is Canadians are just annoying and you can live with it whereas Brits pervasive sense of how shite things are in the UK eventually gets to you and infects your soul (even though Britain has many things about it that are awesome that Canada just doesn't have).

In the end it's a wash. You get used to the annoying things about Canadians just like you get used to the annoying things about Brits.
You inhabit very different Canadian and British circles than I do.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 4:42 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Interesting. One of my Canadian friends who moved to the UK for university when I asked her if she could imagine living here permanently, she said not if she had kids because the school system in her opinion is awful here
It depends on the school. Did she have any particular complaints?
Old Jan 29th 2015, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to all of these. In their thin-skin about criticisms of Canada i also find most are incredibly ignorant about what happens outside their stupid little bubble of Canada and the US.

Am I the only one that sees this as bad? I find a side effect of this is they tattletale alot, when they could just mind their business.

Originally Posted by Shard
It depends on the school. Did she have any particular complaints?
I'm not sure, she had a range of complaints about it
Old Jan 29th 2015, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
You inhabit very different Canadian and British circles than I do.
+1.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 5:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...i also find most are incredibly ignorant about what happens outside their stupid little bubble of Canada and the US...
I was asked the other day if we had trains in England.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was once asked if we have TREES in England
Old Jan 29th 2015, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
I was once asked if we have TREES in England
Of course, all Brits know everything:

Old Jan 29th 2015, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUrE0w1r_og
The scary thing is that this type of general non-knowledge is quite widespread. For ex-pats on this board to get all haughty about how much better the education system is in the UK vs. Canada is misguided as there are people of this ilk all over the place. The actor playing Vicky Pollard did not have to search far to play the character.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUrE0w1r_og
No she hasn't taken any stoopid pills shes a Southerner. I wonder where she thinks the Norfolk Broads are?
Old Jan 29th 2015, 6:22 pm
Yo

She doesn't think anything anymore, poor girl. Short life.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 7:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I went and saw Trainspotting and it wasn't what I expected at all!
Old Jan 29th 2015, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I went and saw Trainspotting and it wasn't what I expected at all!
Driving Miss Daisy wasn't what I expected either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.