Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Apr 29th 2014, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
2) Canadians are generally proud of their country and happy to live here, whereas many Brits seem to be unhappy and disillusioned with the UK
I've never thought about this before, but it rings true. I blame the Daily Mail
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:36 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazmataz
I've never thought about this before, but it rings true. I blame the Daily Mail
The Daily Fail
Old Apr 29th 2014, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice

Guess it depends on where you live. The Canadians I have met seem to be more polite and moan a whole lot less than Brits I know. They do seem to operate at a slower pace and stick to the rules (except driving) but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:22 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Without wishing to generalize or cause offence, Canadians are slow-witted, docile and conformist. They are the cud-chewers, if you like, of the human race.
But you're in Fort Mac. I can't find it but if you want to search for it, watch the interview Natasha Henstridge did with Jay Leno back around 1995 when Species came out.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:27 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
Deerfoot makes me want to ****ing kill people

i mean seriously, how ****ing hard is it to drive in a straight line with no stop signs or roundabouts yet they still can't manage it
Yeah but you're concentrating, that's cheating.

I remember I was on Calf Robe bridge once during the winter and as per usual the painted lines were totally invisible, the concrete slabs are laid diagonally and the driver of the SUV on the other side of the Deerfoot from me apparently decided the lines on the concrete were the lines you were supposed to follow... straight into the barrier at about 100 km/h.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 1:10 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
But you're in Fort Mac. I can't find it but if you want to search for it, watch the interview Natasha Henstridge did with Jay Leno back around 1995 when Species came out.
I'm afraid there's not enough of a carrot there for me to do anything. What would I see if I did search the internetz? I don't know who the Natasha lady is, nor what Species is.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
Hi Paul

I lived in South East Wales prior to moving to Canada. I miss a good curry, "soccer" culture, family/friends, but not much else to be honest.

How long have you been in Ptbo?

Hi Jimbo,

Although I grew up in a town in the Black Country, (just west of Birmingham) my Dad was from Cardiff and I still have family there aswell as in England.

I have lived in Canada for almost 5 years and been in Peterborough for 4.

I do like Peterborough overall, I think its geographical location is perfect and I must say ive made some very good friends here. Although I do find it a little isolated and cut off at times, and the radio stations I find are terrible! I feel like Bill Murray from Groundhog day waking up some mornings! lol.

Talking of curries the taste of India on Lake and George St does a pretty good Vindaloo!
Old Apr 30th 2014, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Blossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kswoosh
Canadians are generally more friendly and far less aggressive.

I always use football/soccer as a good example. The only time I ever had an issue playing football, with people taking things too far, was from Irish/British players. Being a Brit myself, I obviously would have contributed to the situation somewhat I'm sure!

We played in a mixed sex 7-a-side tournament in Vancouver; a good day of sun, soccer, beer and barbeque food. Now if you had that in England, everyone would get trollied, and go round kicking the living daylights out of each other. I'm not even sure you could successfully have a mixed sex tournament in England, even without introducing the alcohol.

I can go on a night out without having to worry about someone picking a fight, and can happily walk home after a night out without worrying, too. I find generally they are a lot more placid and easy going.
Agree ..
Old Apr 30th 2014, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Blossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
Most Canadians have trouble with the British dry, sarcastic sense of humour. It's a long battle, but I'm training them one by one.
Agree ..
Old Apr 30th 2014, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by flashman
That's because sarcastic comments are often interpreted as insults.
Sort of agree ...
Old Apr 30th 2014, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bats
Canadians say British people can be a little weird.
Yeah me too ..
Old Apr 30th 2014, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bats

British people have been responsible for some major disappointments and aggravation in my life lately, so I am not joining in with rubbishing Canadians.
Good..
Old Apr 30th 2014, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Harrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of light

Lol. Just caught up! Thanks for all the replies! Wowsers. well I suppose some of it doesn't surprise me at all while other bits do a little.
One thing is I am used to bad drivers, being half Italian and having lived in the Canaries for several years....oh and now Bournemouth. So nothing can be worse than that lot.
I obviously don't want to generalise a whole race but, as with anything, there are always cultural differences and traits that do make people from different countries differ somewhat from each other :)
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I don't know who the Natasha lady is, nor what Species is.
Well, you missed out in your younger days then.

Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harrisonasa
Lol. Just caught up! Thanks for all the replies! Wowsers. well I suppose some of it doesn't surprise me at all while other bits do a little.
One thing is I am used to bad drivers, being half Italian and having lived in the Canaries for several years....oh and now Bournemouth. So nothing can be worse than that lot.
I obviously don't want to generalise a whole race but, as with anything, there are always cultural differences and traits that do make people from different countries differ somewhat from each other :)
Yes I agree there....a lot of the Europeans are pretty crazy drivers...without wishing to genaralise, but its funny during my trips to Spain, Italy, France etc....nearly every car i saw had a dent in it! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.