Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Apr 27th 2014, 8:01 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Hmm, i've come across the usual mixture of people, mostly good. As we know I live in a small town rural area and there is a pleasant naïveté. I get frustrated sometimes at the lack of general knowledge but I think I would be that with younger Britons too. Canadians laugh at my jokes so I am happy.

British people have been responsible for some major disappointments and aggravation in my life lately, so I am not joining in with rubbishing Canadians.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Hmm, i've come across the usual mixture of people, mostly good. As we know I live in a small town rural area and there is a pleasant naïveté. I get frustrated sometimes at the lack of general knowledge but I think I would be that with younger Britons too. Canadians laugh at my jokes so I am happy.

British people have been responsible for some major disappointments and aggravation in my life lately, so I am not joining in with rubbishing Canadians.
I agree, we chose to come and live in Canada, and the Canadian people come as part of the package, as a whole I like the Canadians, and have made a bunch of good friends here that would give me their shirt off their backs if need be.

I also agree in the fact that there is a pleasant naïveté this applies more so in the rural areas...that would apply to any country I think, I find Canadian people in the cities are more clued up on their general knowledge.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 11:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Any examples of the "pleasant naïveté" ?

In my own estimation Canadians tend to be positive and optimistic to a fault, whereas Brits tend to be negative and pessimistic, to a fault.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 11:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard

In my own estimation Canadians tend to be positive and optimistic to a fault, whereas Brits tend to be negative and pessimistic, to a fault.
That's bollox.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 11:25 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The colour of the passport.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I must say I tend to agree with this, I don't think British people were always that way, its seemed to have gone that way in the last 20 years or so. I noticed this more so in my last visit just over a year ago, I couldn't believe how much more aggressive Brits are.

As for the pleasant naïveté, I think this is more applicable to rural parts of Canada, and this could be the same in parts of Brtiain to a certain extent. Its not a bad thing, I just find that in the small rural towns many people have lived there all their lives and don't have much of an idea about life outside there, as I said I don't think there is anything wrong with that, and it cant just used to describe Canadians, its a different story In the big cities.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:39 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

How about upset because someone stole their wallet from their car, left unlocked on their drive with the keys in the ignition?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians generally have not yet come to realise that the Universe is hostile.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

How about upset because someone stole their wallet from their car, left unlocked on their drive with the keys in the ignition?
Great example of pleasant naïveté!!
Thats one of the things that i love about Canada and its people, and one of my many reasons of wanting to live here.

Years ago, the UK used to be more like that. I remember my mom being disgusted, shocked and very upset that her car was stolen as she left the keys in her car, while she popped into a shop.

Although as i said before, depending on what part of Canada you live in...ie City or rural the levels of this would differ, but overall i very much like that trait of the Canadian people.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 5:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Thats one of the things that i love about Canada and its people, and one of my many reasons of wanting to live here.

Years ago, the UK used to be more like that. I remember my mom being disgusted, shocked and very upset that her car was stolen as she left the keys in her car, while she popped into a shop.

Although as i said before, depending on what part of Canada you live in...ie City or rural the levels of this would differ, but overall i very much like that trait of the Canadian people.
I was pretty pissed off when someone stole my rods, reels and down-riggers off my locked boat. Probably about $5k worth of equipment. So you can take that so called pleasant naïveté and stick it up your jacksie.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

I think the same still applies to parts of the UK. Certainly in my experience in parts of Scotland anyway(and I'm not talking majorly rural either - just 30 minutes out of a major city)
My folks don't ever lock their front door when they go out and most of the neighbours are the same.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Id be upset too. Ive been here too long I guess.

Im now used to people just doing the right thing without it being thought unusual or worthy of comment. Maybe its just "rural" life.

Mind you I remember being pleasantly surprised that things like snatched bags or stolen vehicles were considered worthy of mention on the Radio news bulletins when I arrived here. I guess things are slipping in paradise as that is no longer the case here.

I find this whole comparing people around the world thing somewhat bizarre. People are people. Which Canadians and Britons are we comparing anyway? There is no monoculture to compare.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 28th 2014 at 6:34 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:02 pm
Get me out of here ...

jeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kswoosh
Canadians are generally more friendly and far less aggressive.

I always use football/soccer as a good example. The only time I ever had an issue playing football, with people taking things too far, was from Irish/British players. Being a Brit myself, I obviously would have contributed to the situation somewhat I'm sure!

We played in a mixed sex 7-a-side tournament in Vancouver; a good day of sun, soccer, beer and barbeque food. Now if you had that in England, everyone would get trollied, and go round kicking the living daylights out of each other. I'm not even sure you could successfully have a mixed sex tournament in England, even without introducing the alcohol.

I can go on a night out without having to worry about someone picking a fight, and can happily walk home after a night out without worrying, too. I find generally they are a lot more placid and easy going.
Until they play ice hockey that's where their aggression comes out. Not fun to watch the players kicking the shit out of each other, and the officials standing around, arms crossed, waiting until a man goes down before they will intervene. Totally barbaric.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Im now used to people just doing the right thing without it being thought unusual or worthy of comment.
From lost and found where people actually take the trouble to contact the newspaper with a view to returning non high value items (or of no use to anyone else) to their owners.

■A New Brunswick license plate on Highway 885, near Exit 414. Call 543-2611.

■A Pandora-like silver bracelet at the Great Canadian Dollar Store in Moncton North on Friday, Sept.6. Call 855-5887.

■A pair of men’s prescription sunglasses in a hard brown case in Pointe-du-Chêne. Call 532-9829.

■A man’s gold wedding band with inscription on Aug. 9 in the parking lot between Kent and Costco. Call 372-9673.

■ A pair of ladies prescription sunglasses on Route 133, between LeBlanc Hardware and Shediac Neptune Drive-in, on Aug. 8. Call 532-2139.

■A case full of 30 CDs for Windows and business programs on the highway in Riverview on Tuesday, July 30. Call 229-1748.

■ A male Medicare card on the corner Ivy Road and Hemmer Jane Drive on July 16. Call 875-6006 to identify.

■A cellphone at Cap-Bimet in Grand Barachois. Call 382-8449.

■A set of four keys (not car keys), one with the inscription “WEISER,” alongside Jones Lake on Thursday, July 4. Call 383-3633.

■A silver key, which has “All Lock Company Inc.” and “FUEL” written on one side and “Made in Salma” written on the other side. Found in a flower garden in Thomas Gardens. Call 856-6043.

■A ring at Payless store on Plaza Boulevard around the end of May. Call Shannon at 857-9927.

■ A set of three keys on Cleveland Road in Riverview on May 29. Call 387-7801.

■A pair of prescription sunglasses in a Hakim Optical case on Pleasant Street in Shediac. Owner can pick them up at Shediac Bay Yacht Club.

■ A small ladies gold ring with stone at Winner’s on May 25. Call 389-9269.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 10:55 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by iaink
Id be upset too. Ive been here too long I guess.

Im now used to people just doing the right thing without it being thought unusual or worthy of comment. Maybe its just "rural" life.

Mind you I remember being pleasantly surprised that things like snatched bags or stolen vehicles were considered worthy of mention on the Radio news bulletins when I arrived here. I guess things are slipping in paradise as that is no longer the case here.

I find this whole comparing people around the world thing somewhat bizarre. People are people. Which Canadians and Britons are we comparing anyway? There is no monoculture to compare.
Good word that, monoculture. I shall use it as soon as possible.

I lost my Blackberry in Peterborough and it was returned. Nobody locks their handbags away at work here, just left anywhere. Waiting rooms have coat racks and your coat is still there when you return.

I like that my neighbour thought it was fine to come into our sunroom to rescue a chipmunk from our cat.

People don't seem to get into a lather about the small stuff. It's slowly rubbing off on me. Gosh when I go home Suffolk seems a little hectic these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.