Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Diesel cars in Canada?

Diesel cars in Canada?

Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Diesel cars in Canada?

I've tried searching for "diesel" but only get bear-diesel's posts!

We are thinking about possible vehicles for when we move. Are there many diesel cars available? Presumably VW diesels would be available?

How does the price of diesel compare to petrol?
Thanks

Joanne
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice
Default Re: Diesel cars in Canada?

Originally Posted by skiboy10

We are thinking about possible vehicles for when we move. Are there many diesel cars available? Presumably VW diesels would be available?

Thanks

Joanne
hiya
jo
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jo

I thought you would know everything about diesels

Cheers
Joanne
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice

Hi Jo

I thought you would know everything about diesels

Cheers
Joanne
hi
I only know I have a Toyota Landcruiser thats diesel over here, but they don't do the same model over there. Also the dog is called diesel, not that I'm freaky but when we went to the vet we were calling her weasle as we already had a bear, hence the name, but the vet was German and all the records had diesel written on them

jo
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

2009 is "Crunch" Year for US Diesels - Automotive World

http://tinyurl.com/2pghvf .
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
2009 is "Crunch" Year for US Diesels - Automotive World

http://tinyurl.com/2pghvf .
Thanks - interesting reading.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:58 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Thanks

Joanne
In a word, "No".

VW is really the only player in the affordable diesel market since Chrysler dropped the Diesel Jeep Liberty option (which being an SUV with the aero dynamics of a brick never got close to VW economy levels), However, due to changes in emmisions standards even VW are in a gap year, with no 2007 diesel models offered. The good news is that there are still 2006 Jetta TDIs stockpiled, but changes in emmissions standards made the old TDi "illegal" as a 2007 vehicle (despite its low CO2 emmisions), so we have to wait for the 2008 model year for the newer engine that does meet the newer standards.

Other than that the smart car is diesel, but not hugely practical. Then there's the E class mercedes bluetech, but thats serious money. Only other diesels are big trucks, where diesel is there for 500ftlbs of torque, not for frugality. SO if you want a used diesel, VW is really the only option.

Diesel where I am is a constant 93c / litre, and has been for months it seems. Gasoline in that time has swung anywhere from 75c to 130 c/ litre.

Im seriously looking at the Jetta TDi as my next vehicle, either that or a Honda Civic Hybrid. The Jetta is the nicer vehicle I think, but does not get nearly the same amount of government rebates ($1500 vs $4000) and it costs a little more. But its proven technology, which could be the clincher.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 25th 2007 at 1:00 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks.

Funnily enough we were looking at the Honda Hybrid yesterday - the new technology sounds great but I don't want to be a guinea pig. Are you saying that we could get a new Jetta but it would be registered as 2006? Presumably with a decent discount? We are moving out to Canada later in the summer and would like to have a car sorted before we arrive if possible.

Joanne
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:23 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Thanks.

Funnily enough we were looking at the Honda Hybrid yesterday - the new technology sounds great but I don't want to be a guinea pig. Are you saying that we could get a new Jetta but it would be registered as 2006? Presumably with a decent discount? We are moving out to Canada later in the summer and would like to have a car sorted before we arrive if possible.

Joanne
It will have been built as a 2006, so it will essentially be last years model. There was a cut off date for the old motor, so they built as many as they could up to that point. Registration here is to the individual, not the car, so its not like it will have "old" plates or last years
reg letter.
Due to demand (having cornered the market) there are really no discounts, you are still looking at $26k+ taxes, but there is 1.8% finance available which is pretty low by VW standards. The import brands seldom offer zero % financing which is what keeps the big threes sales afloat I suspect.

If there are any of the old ones left on the shelf when the 2008 comes on stream (I don't know when that's expected though, the model year shift is usually in the fall, although there are no hard and fast rules and with the diesel who knows) then they might get discounted as its hard to sell against the new technology.

Used TDis tend to keep their value well too, so buying used is not much of a saving, plus they tend to be bought by high millage users for obvious reasons, so used ones often have 150, 200k on them.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 25th 2007 at 1:26 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:59 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

Funnily enough we were looking at the Honda Hybrid yesterday - the new technology sounds great but I don't want to be a guinea pig.
The Honda Civic hybrid has been around since 2003 so you wouldn't quite be a guinea pig.

The Toyota Prius has been around since 1997 again not exactly guinea pig territory.

I'm currently driving a Toyota Camry hybrid (same technology as the Prius) and loving it. Current tank average 6.3 liters/100kms (45 mpg imperial)

Also read an article recently that there will be much more choice for diesels in the 2008 model year I know BMW is definitely talking about more diesel models being available, now that clean diesel is available in North America.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Steve_P; Jun 25th 2007 at 2:09 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

You have both been very helpful - thanks

Is diesel widely available? Not necessarily at every gas station but enough not to be a problem?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:07 pm

Is diesel widely available? Not necessarily at every gas station but enough not to be a problem?
Many trucks (half-ton and the like) are diesel so I would say that it is readily available just not at every station.

Diesel fuel prices in Calgary.

Last edited by Steve_P; Jun 25th 2007 at 2:14 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:15 pm
Canadiain

Originally Posted by Steve_P
The Honda Civic hybrid has been around since 2003 so you wouldn't quite be a guinea pig.

The Toyota Prius has been around since 1997 again not exactly guinea pig territory.

I'm currently driving a Toyota Camry hybrid (same technology as the Prius) and loving it. Current tank average 6.3 liters/100kms (45 mpg imperial)

Also read an article recently that there will be much more choice for diesels in the 2008 model year I know BMW is definitely talking about more diesel models being available, now that clean diesel is available in North America.

Cheers
Steve
Until they are 8 years old and we find out how the batteries last after the warranty is up, then as far as Im concerned you are all guinee pigs. I keep cars a long time, and I dont want a $10000 bill for replacing the batteries in the reasonable lifetime of a vehicle, like 15 years or so.

One thing I dont understand fully...wouldnt the hybrid be even more efficient if they mated the electric side of it to a small Turbo diesel? They are simpler and inherently more efficient engines as the fuel has 30% more energy in it, and it can easily be made from vegetable sources if necessary. Seems short sighted to tie it to a gas engine.

A wider selction of diesels would be welcome, although the VW is a pretty nice vehicle to start off with, diesel is a bonus. I thought about the camry hybrid, but its that much more than the Jetta, and even the Jetta is a reasonable financial commitment for me.

Do the rear seats fold down? They dont in the honda.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 25th 2007 at 2:20 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:21 pm
Canadiain

Its not a problem, as steve says, its not at every station (Canadian Tire around here at least dont have it, which is a blow as the gas bar vouchers make for some good deals...got a $40 fishing rod for $10 last week), but it is at most.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Until they are 8 years old and we find out how the batteries last after the warranty is up, then as far as Im concerned you are all guinee pigs. I keep cars a long time, and I dont want a $10000 bill for replacing the batteries in the reasonable lifetime of a vehicle, like 15 years or so.

One thing I dont understand fully...wouldnt the hybrid be even more efficient if they mated the electric side of it to a small Turbo diesel? They are simpler and inherently more efficient engines as the fuel has 30% more energy in it, and it can easily be made from vegetable sources if necessary. Seems short sighted to tie it to a gas engine.
Toyota guarantees the same batteries in California and some other states for ten years. California demanded the ten years, I doubt that they use different ones elsewhere. Also the Prius has now been around for ten years with no reports of mass failures.

Apparently the current cost of replacing the batteries for a Prius is $3,000 U.S. and I would expect that price to come down in future.

http://www.greenhybrid.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.