British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Did your child transfer to the same grade, or repeat a year due to age? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/did-your-child-transfer-same-grade-repeat-year-due-age-934266/)

Anya121 Aug 11th 2020 10:08 am

Did your child transfer to the same grade, or repeat a year due to age?

Hi. My daughter with a spring birthday is 12 going into UK year 8. Her Canadian cousin with a spring birthday is 12 going into grade 7. (This is because reception/kindergarten intake is by academic year in the UK and by calendar year in Ontario, so those with birthdays Jan-Aug start a year earlier in the UK, whereas those with birthdays Sept-Dec, including my son, are in the same age/grade in both countries.)

When we move to Ontario, I'm wondering if my daughter will go in with those her age, and therefore have to repeat a year of school, or if she will go into the grade she's in here, so will be with those a year older. She's academically very strong so repeating a year could be very stale for her. But her maturity is right for her age, so going in with older kids might not suit.

Did anyone have this issue? What did you do? Any advice?

Many thanks.

Siouxie Aug 11th 2020 7:00 pm

Re: Did your child transfer to the same grade, or repeat a year due to age?

She will be placed in the year for her age.. >> https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Schoo...egories-Canada
They don't start school properly until they are 6 :)
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadian_Schooling

The general consensus has been that it's better for them to stay with their age peer group, where possible - helps them to fit in and adapt :)
You might find this of use.. written by one of our own :D https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Asses...Schools-Canada

HGerchikov Aug 11th 2020 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Anya121 (Post 12895166)
Hi. My daughter with a spring birthday is 12 going into UK year 8. Her Canadian cousin with a spring birthday is 12 going into grade 7. (This is because reception/kindergarten intake is by academic year in the UK and by calendar year in Ontario, so those with birthdays Jan-Aug start a year earlier in the UK, whereas those with birthdays Sept-Dec, including my son, are in the same age/grade in both countries.)

When we move to Ontario, I'm wondering if my daughter will go in with those her age, and therefore have to repeat a year of school, or if she will go into the grade she's in here, so will be with those a year older. She's academically very strong so repeating a year could be very stale for her. But her maturity is right for her age, so going in with older kids might not suit.

Did anyone have this issue? What did you do? Any advice?

Many thanks.

The curriculum is not the same in the two countries, neither are things taught the same way, so it's not really repeating a year just because the number is the same. It can take a while to adjust to a new place, school, way of doing things etc. She may find some of the academics easy (and maybe some not so much - especially things like Canadian History) but that is probably a good thing as she adjusts.

Anya121 Aug 12th 2020 9:57 am

Thanks for this. It will be hard for her to go back to primary school after completing two full years of secondary, especially as she's academically ahead here. The school my son is going to is grade 1-8. : ( I guess transition is never easy, but must be done. Thanks.

Siouxie Aug 12th 2020 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Anya121 (Post 12895679)
Thanks for this. It will be hard for her to go back to primary school after completing two full years of secondary, especially as she's academically ahead here. The school my son is going to is grade 1-8. : ( I guess transition is never easy, but must be done. Thanks.

Why primary? She will be in year 7 - which is the equvalent of secondary in the UK - the grades are not the same.. - per the link I gave earlier :)

Elementary School - ..Grade 1 / 6 years old to Grade 6 / 11 years old

Junior High School Grade 7 / 12 years old / to Grade 9 / 14 years old

Senior High School Grade 10 /15 years old to Grade 12 Diploma (= UK 1st yr A Levels) / 17 years old

HGerchikov Aug 13th 2020 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12896066)
Why primary? She will be in year 7 - which is the equvalent of secondary in the UK - the grades are not the same.. - per the link I gave earlier :)

A lot of areas don't have the Junior High or Middle school anymore. Elementary goes from JK to Grade 8.

Lichisadave Aug 16th 2020 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 12896108)
A lot of areas don't have the Junior High or Middle school anymore. Elementary goes from JK to Grade 8.

This is true my daughter was just turning 13 when we arrived here and went in to Grade 8 after doing 2 years in UK High School she was strong academically in the UK and didn’t find it “boring” or too easy. She went into Elementary and straight to High School no middle school between the 2. There is a lot of debate about “going back a year” personally I think it helps as they can build friendships before the big step to High School as most children go to the same High School Unlike the UK where we found children disperse to various High Schools around the area.

Danny B Aug 17th 2020 3:18 pm

My Son jumped a year here in BC.
He was 11 and went into grade 7.

Grah Aug 23rd 2020 6:51 am

Well in November 1998 Winnipeg Manitoba.
son 11 birthday was August jumped a year graduated at 16 in July Started uni a 17. - Played Soccer a year up and on mens teams from 15 so was never bothered by age and size differences.
Daughter 10 birthday October went into her year - bored to tears for first year ok after that
Daughter 7 birthday jumped a year suffered due to age related changes and not grasping contexts well.
Daughter 4 born in July stormed out of the principals office slamming the door with all her might stating "if you don't want me I aint staying". when told she couldn't go to school like she had been in the UK.
So as the kids are in school til 18 it does depend on more than handling the academics its how they grow and socialize - Girls definitely different than boys with group dynamic needs.

MillieF Aug 23rd 2020 2:03 pm

My son was 11 and went into Grade 6, which was perfect for his age. Maths he was bored with, for a couple of years, but he was strong in math anyway. Everything else was up and down and not problematic either way. It’s a big move emotionally, so I didn’t want him struggling academically too...plenty of time for that later on. What I did like was that he was with kids the same age, so they all crossed the Mental boundaries together and were having similar emotional ups and downs at roughly the same time. One young classmate was two years younger than the rest of the class, so when groups of them were doing driver’s ed and arranging where to go and have a first drink etc. Was left behind. I’m not saying I wanted my boy to be sheeplike, but it does mitigate the stress when you get to do things together, or it did for us. Good luck!