British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Did you say goodbye the day before? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/did-you-say-goodbye-day-before-610400/)

Falcore May 21st 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Did you say goodbye the day before?

I know I will upset some of my family but I to will not be having the Airport goodbye. Everytime we fly out I imagine leaving for the last time and that in itself makes me want to cry never mind a whole load of goodbyes at the airport.

I will go for the day before thing and the last night at an airport hotel sounds like a good idea too :thumbup:

ann m May 21st 2009 2:41 pm

I'm another one that would opt for the day before, and not allow people to come to the airport.

It would be a killer! My hubby's dad phoned him as we were walking to the gate at the airport (we'd already done several tearful goodbyes beforehand, and he even took us to the airport hotel the night before). His dad was in tears, and this one last farewell knocked my hubby for six. It was awful, and what I would have wanted to be a 'take a deep breath, this is it, this is the exciting bit' became a subdued, lip-biting, long flight!!

I feel for the OP - any big changes are hard - but you've raised a young boy into a lovely, independant family man who will be proud to see his mum go off and do something new and exciting for herself now. :thumbup:

Butch Cassidy May 21st 2009 2:50 pm

I'm with the day before (at least). But remember that if you can fly to Canada, so can they to visit.

albertabound May 21st 2009 2:51 pm

Once again guys,
thank you, it is such an emotional time. I think, because I have always been there for him it is harder. Mind you, my mum gets him all to herself when I have gone:wub:
I am defo going the airport in a taxi.
Fortunately my husband already has skype set up over there. It has been a godsend.
Tina

albertabound May 21st 2009 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 7592595)
I'm with the day before (at least). But remember that if you can fly to Canada, so can they to visit.

That is true but my mum has had a thrombosis since November that just wont go. We are hoping for a christmas visit. My son and his family have already booked to come for 2 weeks in September.

Butch Cassidy May 21st 2009 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by albertabound (Post 7592600)
Once again guys,
thank you, it is such an emotional time. I think, because I have always been there for him it is harder. Mind you, my mum gets him all to herself when I have gone:wub:
I am defo going the airport in a taxi.
Fortunately my husband already has skype set up over there. It has been a godsend.
Tina

LOL,

You know T, you're (probably) going to look back on all this and think what was I worried about. Once you're back in hubby's arms all this will pale away. That and seeing the beautiful treelined avenues of central alberta (oh frick i'm dreaming again)

Souvenir May 21st 2009 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 7592616)
LOL,

You know T, you're (probably) going to look back on all this and think what was I worried about. Once you're back in hubby's arms all this will pale away. That and seeing the beautiful treelined avenues of central alberta (oh frick i'm dreaming again)

There are still trees in Alberta? I thought they'd all been shot for being green.

albertabound May 21st 2009 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 7592616)
LOL,

You do make me smile Butch, earlier on I was thinking "Heaven Knows Im Miserable Now" Cheers:thumbsup:

Butch Cassidy May 21st 2009 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 7592623)
There are still trees in Alberta? I thought they'd all been shot for being green.

Very true

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpiIWMWWVco

Keith May 21st 2009 3:22 pm

People immigrating these days are very fortunate (or not), to have so much communication available and relatively cheap flights home.

When we set of for Canada in 1963 ( by boat, planes were too expensive) we knew that return even for a visit was out of the question and phone calls were $2/min ( I was earning $3/hr then), so letter writing was the only constant way to keep in touch.

In those days most women that came with children didn't go to work so they were the most affected by homesickness. I was fortunate in that respect as my wife didn't have a close relationship with any of her relatives.

Some families took what was called the $1000 cure. After a couple of years they saved as much as they could so that the wife and kids could be sent back for a visit. Most had settled by the time they had enough saved. In our case we cut all financial ties to the UK (sold our house etc) and within the first 6 months had put a deposit on a new house and moved in the following year. That house cost $17,000 and now sells for around $300,000, although we have sold and bought 6 properties since then and now live in a nice condo by the Ottawa river.

My wife has never wanted to return to the UK even for a visit. I went back for short trips ( 1 week) three times when my mother was still alive. My last visit was in 1982.

Good luck

nikki dreaming May 21st 2009 5:42 pm

Hi

We leave in a little over 2 weeks:eek:

We have been gradually saying goodbye to family members that we dont see too much over the last few weeks, they have not been too bad.

The hard part is about to start but I made the decision a long time ago that I would not have anyone at the airport, I could not just turn around and walk through the doors:(:(

So, we have booked a hotel at Gatwick the night before our flight, so we will say the last of our goodbyes the day before and head straight to the airport, where we will at least have the night to get our head straight a bit:huh: Its going to be hard whenever/however you do it, but I am hoping that this was will try and cause the least stress/upset for everyone.

The worst good bye ahead is for my Nan who unfortunately is very poorly in hospital at the moment:( I am keeping everything crossed that she improves enough to come home but am not sure at the moment.

Good luck everyone, this is the hardest part for sure:blink::(:wub:

Alberta_Rose May 22nd 2009 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 7591735)
I said my goodbyes two weeks before. The hardest bit was saying goodbye to my son, who was then only five.

I can't imagine the pain of doing that. Brings a lump to my throat just to think of it.

In any case, I agree with the others about 1) no airport goodbyes ... also
2) Take a taxi to the airport and 3) spend the last night in a hotel near the airport and/or invest in one of those posh lounges to spoil yourselves as you wait for your flight and start your big adventure!

Miss Clinique May 22nd 2009 3:20 pm

This is my first week in Canada so reading your post made me cry again just thinking of my "goodbyes" last week.

We have 4 children and 3 grandchildren between us. My 2 daughters and grandson came to the airport, they insisted I didnt want them to, my grandaughters stayed at home with their Dad. Saying goodbye to friends and work mates wasnt too bad, saying goodbye to my little grandaughters 2&3 was very hard, I think they thought I was just going "home to Kent" I didnt want to let them go it broke my heart. At the airport was also really bad my grandson 5 was upset because he saw his mum crying so we tried to be brave for him. I waved my arm off going through to departures and cried all the way.

I dont envy you what ever choice you make, it very hard. I made sure they all had calling packages on their phones before I left, now they call me more often because its "free" or £5 per month unlimited.

Good luck with the move PM me if you want any advise or a chat as I am "fresh off the boat" and just gone through it all.:wub:

deenailz May 22nd 2009 3:26 pm

we go next week and i dont want anyone to see us at airport, am dreading doing all the proper goodbyes , coz even though we had the leaving party it doesnt seem real yet lol xx

Alison33 May 22nd 2009 5:18 pm

We had planned to have a big leaving do and in the end couldn't go through with it. I had a meal out with friends and OH had a work leaving do and to be honest that was painful enough to cope with.

For me, saying goodbyes to family is never easy and we had decided we didn't want anyone coming to the airport to see us off. We booked taxis to take us to the airport the night before and arranged to stay in a hotel near the airport before getting our flights. We all cried and were a right mess in the taxis but at least after a good nights sleep we were able to sort ourselves and kids out without getting on plane a blubbering wreck.

I would definately recommend it (if like me your a sensitive soul).:thumbsup: