British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Did you get a Job at London Expo? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/did-you-get-job-london-expo-547431/)

TonytoCanada Jul 7th 2008 11:44 am

Did you get a Job at London Expo?

I went to the Opportunites Canada Expo last week and got a job offer after an interview so hopefully should be in Canada soon. I saw some others had posted saying they got jobs as well and would like to get in touch with them and also to see how long you have been advised by the companies it will take to get all the paperwork through.

I know it depends on Canadian Immigration but I am interested to know where you got your job from and how long you were told it would take?

stretchandstumpy Jul 7th 2008 5:04 pm

Re: Did you get a Job at London Expo?

Originally Posted by TonytoCanada (Post 6543495)
I went to the Opportunites Canada Expo last week and got a job offer after an interview so hopefully should be in Canada soon. I saw some others had posted saying they got jobs as well and would like to get in touch with them and also to see how long you have been advised by the companies it will take to get all the paperwork through.

I know it depends on Canadian Immigration but I am interested to know where you got your job from and how long you were told it would take?

hi tony
Didnt you feel tho that the expo was all based on one specific part of canada?
my husband too got an interview offer but after coming home and doing more research we discovered that it seems there is a house shortage in that area so decided against it, i also spoke to my cousin who lives in canada and he said that he has friends who have been travelling to work in calgary but they have to sleep in their vans...!
we are however waiting to hear back from another company that we met there (keeping fingers crossed)

good luck

Steve_P Jul 7th 2008 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by stretchandstumpy (Post 6544939)
hi tony
Didnt you feel tho that the expo was all based on one specific part of canada?
my husband too got an interview offer but after coming home and doing more research we discovered that it seems there is a house shortage in that area so decided against it, i also spoke to my cousin who lives in canada and he said that he has friends who have been travelling to work in calgary but they have to sleep in their vans...!
we are however waiting to hear back from another company that we met there (keeping fingers crossed)

good luck

Old and outdated information.

The housing market has cooled considerably in the last six months, with many more houses listed for sale at this time compared to a year ago.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...b-bb8666d5042d

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...3-6f128e11ed25

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...1-227a7097f2ec

bflava Jul 7th 2008 7:44 pm

Well i was at the expo and i think my area was not there, it was all, construction, nursing and not in my region plus alberta i am not sure yet as i will be going to Canada soon and will check it out..

I was only advised by Alberta govt that i will land a job if am there but not from here as they want , bricklayers, plumbers, nursing and stuff like that.

Tonytocanada can you tell us what job and area as housing i hear is expensive abit, but heyy better than UK..
good luck all.

bluemoon1 Jul 7th 2008 7:46 pm

My OH was offered a job in construction at the Leeds Expo. It has taken just under a week to obtain the LMO! and he has been told to get his TWP at Toronto Airport!
However, he has declined the offer as it is a lot less money than he is already on and we have decided to go together as a family when we sell our house (ha! we should be so lucky!!):unsure:

I didn't realise that LMO's can be done that quickly! It was for Ontario by the way and ideally we want to go to NS

burton bunch Jul 8th 2008 2:30 am

Originally Posted by bflava (Post 6545502)
I was only advised by Alberta govt that i will land a job if am there but not from here as they want , bricklayers, plumbers, nursing and stuff like that.

Well that is quite remiss of Alberta Government advising people that they have to come here to get the job :mad: Did they not also point out that you have to get the job and wait nearly 6 months for a LMO to be able to start the job :confused: They implied to you it would be easy and that is just not the case unless you have a tonne of money to support you and your family whilst you wait for your papers :mad:

Originally Posted by bluemoon1 (Post 6545510)
My OH was offered a job in construction at the Leeds Expo. It has taken just under a week to obtain the LMO! and he has been told to get his TWP at Toronto Airport!
However, he has declined the offer as it is a lot less money than he is already on and we have decided to go together as a family when we sell our house (ha! we should be so lucky!!):unsure:

I didn't realise that LMO's can be done that quickly! It was for Ontario by the way and ideally we want to go to NS

Bluemoon1

LMO's are different depending on the province where the job is and also whether the job is "under pressure". But getting a job in Ontario and then applying for PR would then allow you to move to another province.

Silly question but did you search for NS on this site ? I think that they have a few different schemes in place to attract immigrants.

Gaynor
x

Alberta_Rose Jul 8th 2008 4:31 am

Originally Posted by stretchandstumpy (Post 6544939)

Sorry, but nobody has to sleep in their vans becasue there is a housing shortage (not now, as Steve pointed out), but they might if they are not earning enough to pay rent, and that is a different story.

bluemoon1 Jul 8th 2008 6:07 am

Hi Gaynor

Yes we have looked at the other options of getting to NS. We are out there in October on a recce so we may get in touch the RDA's etc before we go. We are just looking at our options at the moment and contacting employers etc. Thanks for the advice though!:)