Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Did you find a job in Canada from the UK.

Did you find a job in Canada from the UK.

Old Feb 18th 2011, 4:24 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you find a job in Canada from the UK.

Originally Posted by Tangram
That's just cheating.
Of course it is. F*** the usual system and approach.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

marcnotrust is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cookie
Yes. Mr Cookie applied online back in Sept 2006 (telecoms/radio). 1 LMO, WP and sale of house later, we moved here in Jan 07.
I work in Telecoms/Networking - Can you ask Mr Cookie if there are any jobs going ha ha ah.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by R I C H
Of course it is. F*** the usual system and approach.
Legend!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 4:30 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcnotrust
Ha ha ha Awesome. Do they have companies at them shows ye??
They used to - am sure they still do now but am not sure as to which companies!

The one my OH started with were in a group of delegates from a town called Kelowna in BC who were looking at bringing immigrants in.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AmyDavid

The one my OH started with were in a group of delegates from a town called Kelowna in BC who were looking at bringing immigrants in.
Certainly might be worth me and my wife checking them out. Thanks.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 6:56 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

I answered an ad in The Sunday Times in November 1968. Landed in March '69. Not in IT !
Old Feb 19th 2011, 7:05 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

trawled the internet for companies in ex o/h field (heavy duty mechnic). Stumbled across one that had an advert on their website for immigrants needed.

He applied, we flew over for an interview, he got offered the job - they did the paperwork.

They haven't brought anyone in for a couple of years now since the economy went tits up.

We were lucky.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
trawled the internet for companies in ex o/h field (heavy duty mechnic). Stumbled across one that had an advert on their website for immigrants needed.

He applied, we flew over for an interview, he got offered the job - they did the paperwork.

They haven't brought anyone in for a couple of years now since the economy went tits up.

We were lucky.

Cheers for the response Mand!!

I know what you mean. I suppose now is not that time for me to start my research with the economy being the way it is. Im hoping that in a few years when we are realistically in a financial position to make the move that things will be different.

However, I am still going to have a cheeky look around, maybe drop some resumes off in places when we fly back over in Nov!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 4:15 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcnotrust
Hi guys,

Just wondering who on here may of made to the move to Canada by getting a job offer when still in the UK. Would also be good to know when and how you found the process and what work you are in.

Thanks,
Marc
No, but met several companies during my research visit and re-connected with them once my visa came through. Job secured within a week of landing
Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

OH is a motor mechanic, once we had decided where we wanted to be in Canada, he cold called every auto shop in the area and managed to get 2 verbal job offers over the phone. Went with one, had a TWP and moved within 6months (2009). Now PR's in the Okanagan BC and loving it
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all

We made several trips to NS to network and try and find jobs over a 2 year period from 2007 to 2009. Generated several leads, but they all dried up.

Decided to try and embrace life in the UK and then look at applying for residency from the UK on a long-term basis.

A company that I last spoke to in April 2009 contacted me out of the blue in Sept 2010 and asked if I was still interested in working for them. Got an LMO through last month and fly out in about 4 weeks!

It can be done, but seems to be far less reliable than actually being in Canada!

My wife works in Journalism/PR/Marketing and I work in the AV industry.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

hellcats is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmyDavid

They didn't have any last year in the emigrate show in Glasgow or the one we went to in Manchester. We spoke to the people from Kelowna but they were more pushing the tourist side.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 4:56 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JandG
It can be done, but seems to be far less reliable than actually being in Canada!

Completely agree, to significantyly improve the odds of getting a job you have to be here or on the way with a PR visa. It isnt impossible but I tried thoughout the wait for the PR visa, and didnt get a sindle bite.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:14 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hellcats
They didn't have any last year in the emigrate show in Glasgow or the one we went to in Manchester. We spoke to the people from Kelowna but they were more pushing the tourist side.
Yeah I think back in 2007 they did a massive recruitment drive for trades people both in the UK and Germany - the construction market was booming at that time. I assume that due to the recession, that has slowed right down now.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

sta123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting topic for me

As I am in the process right now looking for work (around Toronto, Mississauga area ish) in IT.

I have spoke to a few IT recruitment companies, applied for a few jobs so far. Also getting a few contacts through friends there etc.

I plan to fly over in late march for a few weeks to go and see some people in person.

Still in the early days of applying for jobs. So I will give you more info in a few weeks from now.

My main sites are monster.ca, workopolis and linkedin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.