Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Did anyone emmigrate with a teenager

Did anyone emmigrate with a teenager

Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

hepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant future
Default Re: Did anyone emmigrate with a teenager

A recce is a trip to the area you are looking at and doing all your research.

My son was in 2nd year of High School in the UK and is now in First Year (grade 7) of Junior High. My daughter turned 17 in December, and had finished UK High School last May (09), she is now in Grade 11 of Senior High.

The schools my children go to are Junior High Grade 7 to Grade 9. Senior High Grade 10 to Grade 12. Leaving school at 18.

Not sure if every school is the same.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hepburn
A recce is a trip to the area you are looking at and doing all your research.

My son was in 2nd year of High School in the UK and is now in First Year (grade 7) of Junior High. My daughter turned 17 in December, and had finished UK High School last May (09), she is now in Grade 11 of Senior High.

The schools my children go to are Junior High Grade 7 to Grade 9. Senior High Grade 10 to Grade 12. Leaving school at 18.

Not sure if every school is the same.
Hi

I read somewhere that school was compulsory until 16 in NS. Does this mean that you have to pay for education above that age?

TY
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

hepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant future

Not where we are, they go to the general senior high until they are 18 and then graduate with their high school diploma. We are not paying, we are in Tantallon Nova Scotia, not too sure about other areas.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well.

we have decided to try to emmigrate to Canada.
At the moment, my oldest is 12 and is in 1st year at high school. He is really excited about moving to Canada and I just wondered if anyone else had moved with a teenager.

Did they settle in at their new school?
How different are the high schools in Canada from here (we are in Scotland)
Is there lots of support if you need extra help at school

Just some questions that I thought of. If we are successful in moving, we will be moving to Ontario.

Thank you.

Jackie xx
Hi Jackie

When we moved in June last year our two boys were 12 and 15 (they are now 13 and 16)! We also moved from Scotland.

Our 16 year old had just finished his standard grades and our 13 year old had done his first year at High School. When they started school in Sept our 13 year old started in Grade 8 (final year) of Elementary school and our 16 year old started Grade 11 at Secondary School.

Both boys have settled much better than we could ever have imagined. The teachers here are amazing, my 16 year old was basically waiting until he could leave in the UK whereas he is now looking at going to university. We have had such positive feedback from both schools about the boys. My eldest son has been volunteering for some of the sporting activities and coaching an U14s soccer team. Their confidence has grown immensely since we arrived.

There are units within the school that kids can go to for extra help whether they are struggling or they just need a bit help with some homework. I have to say the schools are all about every child reaching their potential whatever level that may be at.

My 16 year old told his Principal that the main difference between Canada and the UK was that the teachers respected the kids and therefore the kids respected their teachers. He says there isn't the same amount of disrespect/trouble in the schools here. My younger son was very shy but he found the kids so interested in where he was from and how he spoke that it didn't take him long to make friends. My 16 year old is a hit with the girls because of his accent and I am sure he is sounding more Sean Connery every day!! Lol!

Any questions please feel free to ask! Best of luck!

Michelle
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Thanks everyone for replying.

I see many of you say recce? What is that?

Are the Canadian schools alot different from the schools here in the UK? Me niece if she had stayed in Scotland would have been starting High school just after the summer, but, apparently in Canada she will have another year at primary school.
I was just thinking if we did go over just for example summer 2011, when my son would be going into 3rd year of high school in UK where he would be in high school in Canada.

Jackie
Jackie - it would be Grade 9 here!

1st year Scotland = Grade 7 Elementary School
2nd year Scotland = Grade 8 Elementary School
3rd year Scotland = Grade 9 Secondary School
4th year Scotland = Grade 10 Secondary School
5th year Scotland = Grade 11 Secondary School
6th year Scotland = Grade 12 Secondary School

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Hi

I read somewhere that school was compulsory until 16 in NS. Does this mean that you have to pay for education above that age?

TY
No, it simply means that if a student wishes to drop out from high school, they can do so legally at the age of 16. They don't legally have to attend grades 11 and 12. Most students, fortunately, do not drop out, and they stay in school until they graduate with a high school diploma.