Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Diary of our move to Canada

Diary of our move to Canada

Old May 13th 2018, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diary of our move to Canada

Days 7-10 Getting into a normal routine. (9-12 May 2018)

It has been a few days now since we last posted an update on our move to Toronto, Canada. We have decided to stay where we are and negotiated a 1 year lease which includes all utilities, plus wifi, grass cutting and snow clearing for a 3 bedroom house in East York. Average rentals in this neighbourhood for a similar property are around $2800 per month. To give you an idea how crazy the property prices are, the return on investment works out to be less than 3%. To buy a similar house you are talking of spending just shy of $1,000,000. Travel 1-1.5 hours out of town and the price of property is 50% less. Same sort of house in Barrie sells for $500,000.

The weather patterns are crazy at this time of year. On Wednesday 9th May it was sunny and warm 23c. Two days later the temp had dropped to single digits and we were back wearing sweaters and jackets. The cherry blossom is late this year, only reaching full bloom this weekend 12-13 May.

Job prospects are looking promising. I updated my LinkedIn profile which triggered a few job alerts. I reached out to old work colleagues to provide a referral on LinkedIn on Friday 4th May. They found the hiring Manager and his email address. Using LinkedIn I found the managers profile and sent him a welcome request followed by a quick note via LinkedIn messenger on Sunday 6th May. The next day, I had a response from the Hiring manager and arranged a mutual time to get together. Networking is the way to get things rolling here in Toronto. if you know someone who knows someone it really helps. My old work colleague works in London for the same organisation as the hiring company - Capgemini. On Friday 11th May I met up with 2 different hirIng managers downtown Toronto. Both meetings went well, so I am hoping to hears some positive news this week on possible interviews.

All my work suits are in transit from the UK as we were expecting to take 2-3 months to settle in first before we looked for work. So on Saturday we spent the day shopping. Took the subway to Leslie on line 4 Sheppard/Don Mills to see what IKEA offered in Canada, then headed downtown to the Eaton centre on Line 1 to Yonge/Queen St to look for work clothes. Hudson Bay is a good place to find quality brand clothes. Fortunately they had a 60% sale off going on Men's suits so I managed to get a bargain......

Last edited by glendem4; May 13th 2018 at 9:57 am.
Old May 13th 2018, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm enjoying reading your diary ... I don't even live in Ontario (BC) but your observations are very interesting ☺️
Old May 13th 2018, 2:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I'm enjoying reading your diary ... I don't even live in Ontario (BC) but your observations are very interesting ☺️
I'm not. I'm wondering why he doesn't just write a blog and link to it in his sig?

Last edited by Novocastrian; May 13th 2018 at 2:25 pm.
Old May 13th 2018, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm not. I'm wondering why he doesn't just write a blog and link to it in his sig?
Grumpy!
Old May 13th 2018, 4:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill

Grumpy!
Grincheux? Moi? Pas du tout.
Old May 13th 2018, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

aerivona is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I personally love these updates. I just moved to Canada as well and enjoy hearing about a different experience.
Old May 13th 2018, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes please keep the diary going for a bit!
Old May 13th 2018, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Day 11 Public transport and cheap cycles

On a sunny Sunday morning, I took the subway to Castle Frank and then walked 2km down the Don valley to the Evergreen Brickworks, where Bike works offers refurbished cycles for sale.
https://www.evergreen.ca/evergreen-b...ng/bike-works/

Bike works helps cyclists maintain and refurbish cycles as well as selling second hand cycles from $130-180. Thankfully I managed to find a large enough frame and cycled home along the lower Don valley path to Thomas creek trail close to our house. What a beautiful, tranquil way to spend a sunny morning.

In the afternoon we had the joy of shopping at the cederbrae mall in Scarborough. Had to take the subway Line 2 from Main st to Kennedy, change to go on Line 3 to Lawrence East, then bus 54b to the mall. Line 3 is a bit like the London dock lands light railway. When you are dependent on buses, it can take awhile to get anywhere, especially on a Sunday. Missed the bus on our way home, so our 40 min journey took nearly an hour. If you want to avoid driving in Toronto, it is best to live close to the subway......
Old May 15th 2018, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Day 12 Dining out cost of living and Emergency Alerts

For health and ethical reasons we gave up eating meat and diary last year and moved to a plant based diet. Toronto has a HUGE choice for Vegan eaters. Il fornello (think Pizza Express in the UK) on Danforth Ave recently launched a specific menu for vegans.
https://torontofitchicks.com/2018/05...ew-vegan-menu/

The food was amazing, starting with a bruschetta followed by the vegan pizza and eggplant pasta and washed down by 2 locally brewed beers. Eating out is similar in price to the UK. E.g. £11 pizza is equivalent to around $18 in Canada. Total meal cost $62 plus 13% tax. When you add on the tip it all adds up to around $80. A similar meal at Pizza Express would cost £45.

Canada is trialing an emergency alert system. We got a shock yesterday when our cellphones started beeping and a warning message was played on loudspeaker. It was interesting to see this in action, especially out shopping when everyone's phones started beeping at the same time. The alert was genuine as an 8 year old boy had been kidnapped by a family member. Thankfully, the boy was found within a few hours. We were very impressed with the system. It would be really useful whenever there is a terror threat, like the incident on Yonge street in Toronto last April. Although the thought of big brother controlling all the mobile networks was a concern we voiced.....

Old May 15th 2018, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4

Canada is trialing an emergency alert system. We got a shock yesterday when our cellphones started beeping and a warning message was played on loudspeaker. It was interesting to see this in action, especially out shopping when everyone's phones started beeping at the same time. The alert was genuine as an 8 year old boy had been kidnapped by a family member. Thankfully, the boy was found within a few hours. We were very impressed with the system. It would be really useful whenever there is a terror threat, like the incident on Yonge street in Toronto last April. Although the thought of big brother controlling all the mobile networks was a concern we voiced.....
The emergency alert system needs some tweaks I think. The amber alert was for a child kidnapped near Thunder Bay which is a 15 hour drive from where I live. It would be like an amber alert going off in Toronto for an emergency in North Carolina. As well, if the alert sounds could be muted and the alerts show up on your screen I'd be fine with it...but the sound makes the incoming Skype call sound pleasant.
Old May 15th 2018, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
The emergency alert system needs some tweaks I think. The amber alert was for a child kidnapped near Thunder Bay which is a 15 hour drive from where I live. It would be like an amber alert going off in Toronto for an emergency in North Carolina. As well, if the alert sounds could be muted and the alerts show up on your screen I'd be fine with it...but the sound makes the incoming Skype call sound pleasant.
I agree. I was in the middle of doing something when the alert came through. So I just swiped it aside to read "in a minute". But then I couldn't find it again which was pointless... not everybody is waiting for an alert to come through... but then yes, to be alerted about something so far away is crazy...did they send notification when it was over? Surely that should be part of it too?
Old May 15th 2018, 2:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I agree. I was in the middle of doing something when the alert came through. So I just swiped it aside to read "in a minute". But then I couldn't find it again which was pointless... not everybody is waiting for an alert to come through... but then yes, to be alerted about something so far away is crazy...did they send notification when it was over? Surely that should be part of it too?
Yes, there was a notification when it was over.

I don't know how effective it is, everyone's phone binged, we all looked, "it's an amber alert" someone said, but none of us read it. Later there was some discussion about the relative speed of delivery, various phones went off over a period of 10 minutes or so; the same for the end of alert. At least in the room I was in either no one knew it was about a child or no one cared.
Old May 15th 2018, 3:23 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4
Day 12 Dining out cost of living and Emergency Alerts

For health and ethical reasons we gave up eating meat and diary last year and moved to a plant based diet. Toronto has a HUGE choice for Vegan eaters. Il fornello (think Pizza Express in the UK) on Danforth Ave recently launched a specific menu for vegans.
https://torontofitchicks.com/2018/05...ew-vegan-menu/

The food was amazing, starting with a bruschetta followed by the vegan pizza and eggplant pasta and washed down by 2 locally brewed beers. Eating out is similar in price to the UK. E.g. £11 pizza is equivalent to around $18 in Canada. Total meal cost $62 plus 13% tax. When you add on the tip it all adds up to around $80. A similar meal at Pizza Express would cost £45.

A tip - converting prices back to sterling for comparison is a natural thing to do (I still do it after 14 years). However you also need to rapidly understand the cost vs. your earnings in Canada as that is really all that it is important. The honeymoon of everything seeming cheap if you convert back at $1.80 to the GBP is soon over!
Old May 15th 2018, 3:26 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, there was a notification when it was over.

I don't know how effective it is, everyone's phone binged, we all looked, "it's an amber alert" someone said, but none of us read it. Later there was some discussion about the relative speed of delivery, various phones went off over a period of 10 minutes or so; the same for the end of alert. At least in the room I was in either no one knew it was about a child or no one cared.
I realise this point would be lost on Canadians (or indeed millenials) but unless the alert sounds like Patrick Allen, I'm not going to take notice of it.

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; May 15th 2018 at 3:28 pm.
Old May 15th 2018, 3:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I realise this point would be lost on Canadians (or indeed millenials) but unless the alert sounds like Patrick Allen, I'm not going to take notice of it.
Brilliant.

On the other hand he might be trying to sell you a Barratt Home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.