Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Diary of our move to Canada

Diary of our move to Canada

Old Apr 12th 2018, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diary of our move to Canada

Wishing you all best of luck

All this yet to come for us. My wife is landing in four days and staying with my parents for a few weeks before returning and packing up. All quite scary and exciting.

Your tips have been great. You sound like an organised person.

all the best.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 4:04 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheNorms
Em said thank god it wasn’t just her, yeah we thought if you had a pet passport the DEFRA cert wasn’t needed just the health check a couple of days prior to the flight. We don’t plan on coming back to the uk but by getting the pet passport saves having to deal with DEFRA. Well we hope so.
The pet passport only serves as proof of the rabies jabs (provided they are up to date). You DO also NEED to get the fit to fly paperwork from your vet within 72hrs before flying. You have to apply for the paperwork to be sent to your vet by APHA

Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)
Telephone: 03000 200301 | Fax: 0208 0260 498
Email: [email protected]

Your dog will not be allowed to board the plane without this. I have just done this a few weeks ago so I know first hand.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
The pet passport only serves as proof of the rabies jabs (provided they are up to date). You DO also NEED to get the fit to fly paperwork from your vet within 72hrs before flying. You have to apply for the paperwork to be sent to your vet by APHA

Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)
Telephone: 03000 200301 | Fax: 0208 0260 498
Email: [email protected]

Your dog will not be allowed to board the plane without this. I have just done this a few weeks ago so I know first hand.
Here is the link you need to read and follow to export pets to Canada. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/export-l...les#outside-eu
The fit to fly document completed by your Vet is a document you need to get from APHA and arrange at least 10 working days BEFORE your meeting with your Vet. The fit to fly check has to be made within 72 hours of your flight. PM me if you need anymore help and I can forward you the name of the lady I spoke to at APHA.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

TheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really nice

Originally Posted by glendem4
Here is the link you need to read and follow to export pets to Canada. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/export-l...les#outside-eu
The fit to fly document completed by your Vet is a document you need to get from APHA and arrange at least 10 working days BEFORE your meeting with your Vet. The fit to fly check has to be made within 72 hours of your flight. PM me if you need anymore help and I can forward you the name of the lady I spoke to at APHA.
Thank you for confirming this info we will contact APHA tomorrow. Luckily she isn’t traveling over until 23rd May so we have time to get this arranged. Our dog is having her rabies Jab tomorrow.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheNorms
Thank you for confirming this info we will contact APHA tomorrow. Luckily she isn’t traveling over until 23rd May so we have time to get this arranged. Our dog is having her rabies Jab tomorrow.
Hi spoke to APHA/DEFRA today and the are emailing me the forms to fill out I then email them back to them and they forward to your nominated Vets. I did however speak to my vet and he said they usually does a fit to fly letter that is all that is needed. But I'm covering all situations and getting the APHA forms as well. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Today we are sorting out our UK state pensions.
You can check you state pension online here...https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...-state-pension
You will need your National Insurance Number, a 12 digit User ID and password and your mobile number, as the website will send you a 6 digit access code.

My wife has only contributed 8 years NI contributions and she has 3 years partial payments. Each year of contribution is worth £4.70 per week. 35 years of contributions currently gives you £164.35 per week or £8,456.20 per year. At current exchanges rates that equates to $295 per week and £15,383 per annum.

To make voluntary contributions for the missing years you need to call HMRC on +44 191 203 7010. It is an automated voice system. Just say you want to make "Voluntary contributions". Eventually you will get through to a customer service representative. They will ask for your NI insurance number, DOB and years you wish to contribute. Then they will provide a 18 digit reference number unique to you and access for payments to be made online to HMRC NICO, Sort code 08-32-20 and account Number 12001004.

Class 2 contributions are £2.95 per week = £153.40 per annum
Class 3 contributions are £14.65 per week = £761.80 per annum

It will take just over 7 months to get back the Class 2 contributions in pension payments £4.70 per week * 32.6 weeks = £153.40
It will take a little over 3 years to get back the Class 3 contributions in pension payments £4.70 per week x 162 weeks = £761.80

The NICs that you can pay voluntarily are normally Class 3 contributions, but if you're self-employed or working abroad, you can pay Class 2 contributions instead

Details can be found here...https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice....-contributions

Last edited by glendem4; Apr 16th 2018 at 11:56 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Today we are sorting out our UK state pensions.
You can check you state pension online here...https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...-state-pension
You will need your National Insurance Number, a 12 digit User ID and password and your mobile number, as the website will send you a 6 digit access code.

My wife has only contributed 8 years NI contributions and she has 3 years partial payments. Each year of contribution is worth £4.70 per week. 35 years of contributions currently gives you £164.35 per week or £8,456.20 per year. At current exchanges rates that equates to $295 per week and £15,383 per annum.

To make voluntary contributions for the missing years you need to call HMRC on +44 191 203 7010. It is an automated voice system. Just say you want to make "Voluntary contributions". Eventually you will get through to a customer service representative. They will ask for your NI insurance number, DOB and years you wish to contribute. Then they will provide a 18 digit reference number unique to you and access for payments to be made online to HMRC NICO, Sort code 08-32-20 and account Number 12001004.

Class 2 contributions are £2.95 per week = £153.40 per annum
Class 3 contributions are £14.65 per week = £761.80 per annum

It will take just over 7 months to get back the Class 2 contributions in pension payments £4.70 per week * 32.6 weeks = £153.40
It will take a little over 3 years to get back the Class 3 contributions in pension payments £4.70 per week x 162 weeks = £761.80

The NICs that you can pay voluntarily are normally Class 3 contributions, but if you're self-employed or working abroad, you can pay Class 2 contributions instead

Details can be found here...https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice....-contributions
Wife has 10 years NIC contributions now, so she can claim 10/35 of the U.K. State pension. Still 11 years to go BEFORE we can claim our state pensions (67years old). Will make sense for Mrs G to pay Class 2 contributions to up the pension to 21/35 by the time she reaches official UK state pension age

Last edited by glendem4; Apr 23rd 2018 at 6:30 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Watford Hornet is an unknown quantity at this point

Emigrated from Watford England to Barrie in 2001 . Good place to bring children up our 2 were 7 and 9 when we moved.They have families of their own now.I would highly recommend Barrie or the surrounding area.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britannia International Removals picked up our items yesterday. It ended up being 53 boxes in total. We are hoping our original quote for 9.7 cubic meters was not exceeded. They are quoting 8-10 weeks delivery time, so we are hoping to see our goods by 3 July in Toronto.

We extended our travel insurance with Halifax Bank to the maximum of 93 days to cover the first 3 months in Ontario. Halifax Travel insurance linked to our bank account only covers 45 days maximum stay. For an extra £130 we can extend the cover for both of us, compared to Manulife which was quoting $99 each per month.

We have decided to stay in a hotel near the airport the night before we fly from London Heathrow. Novotel allows us to have 2 pets per room. This means we can drive up in our own time the day before we leave the UK and get up and walk the dogs in the morning before flying out mid afternoon.

Most of our furniture has been sold or donated to charity. We are left with a sofa and 2 beds to clear out before we go. One of our cars is now with family. DVLA allows you to change car ownership online, but take up to 6 weeks to refund the tax disc via a cheque. Not much use when you are living in another country. Why they can not credit your bank account using the same way they accept direct debit payments is beyond me!

Only 7 days to go!

Last edited by glendem4; Apr 25th 2018 at 8:10 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Sharpy4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I too am from Watford and have been born and raised there, Just about to start my PR visa application. Looking at moving to Oakville, Burlington area but I have seen a fair few posters mention Barrie....any specific areas or neighbourhoods you could advise me to look at for good schooling and bringing up a family.
thank you.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

DeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really nice

Loving the posts!
Old Apr 26th 2018, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Britannia International Removals picked up our items yesterday. It ended up being 53 boxes in total. We are hoping our original quote for 9.7 cubic meters was not exceeded. They are quoting 8-10 weeks delivery time, so we are hoping to see our goods by 3 July in Toronto.

We extended our travel insurance with Halifax Bank to the maximum of 93 days to cover the first 3 months in Ontario. Halifax Travel insurance linked to our bank account only covers 45 days maximum stay. For an extra £130 we can extend the cover for both of us, compared to Manulife which was quoting $99 each per month.

We have decided to stay in a hotel near the airport the night before we fly from London Heathrow. Novotel allows us to have 2 pets per room. This means we can drive up in our own time the day before we leave the UK and get up and walk the dogs in the morning before flying out mid afternoon.

Most of our furniture has been sold or donated to charity. We are left with a sofa and 2 beds to clear out before we go. One of our cars is now with family. DVLA allows you to change car ownership online, but take up to 6 weeks to refund the tax disc via a cheque. Not much use when you are living in another country. Why they can not credit your bank account using the same way they accept direct debit payments is beyond me!

Only 7 days to go!
Not wishing to rain on your parade, but your insurance through the bank does know you’re emigrating and that you’re not just going on an extended holiday?
Old Apr 26th 2018, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Not wishing to rain on your parade, but your insurance through the bank does know you’re emigrating and that you’re not just going on an extended holiday?
We explained to the bank that we have return flights to the UK booked for September and they were happy to extend our coverage for 93 days and they DID highlight that we would not be covered on Day 94. We will be returning to the UK to attend a family event, so everything was disclosed above board and recorded.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

We explained to the bank that we have return flights to the UK booked for September and they were happy to extend our coverage for 93 days and they DID highlight that we would not be covered on Day 94. We will be returning to the UK to attend a family event, so everything was disclosed above board and recorded.
Did you tell them that you were relocating to Canada, rather than travelling?
Old Apr 26th 2018, 11:39 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

But you don't want travel insurance, you want living in Canada insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.