Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Diarrhea since moving to canada

Diarrhea since moving to canada

Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Diarrhea since moving to canada

Great subject for the morning, I used to be embaressed but now having it for so long just want an answer!

I moved to canada MAY 2012 about three weeks in I started having painful stomach cramps and awful diarrhea. 80 % of the time it happens after a meal and on average I have it atleast twice a day.

I have had blood and stool tests coming back negative for any intolorence to food. I have just had another stool test for Bowel Cancer just to be sure. I stopped drinking the water (as suggested even though its the best) no change.

Even the dog had terrible diarrhea we have had to stop giving her meat and biscuits and just give her biscuits now shes fine! My partner gets it every now and again but its never been how it was in England for him. My sons (21 months) isnt exactly great but its mine thats the worse. We know of three other people who have moved here and are suffering the exact same problem within weeks of moving with all tests being done and nothing coming back.

Has any one had this and found a solution, its really starting to affect me now!
Old Apr 17th 2013, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diarrhea since moving to canada

Originally Posted by chrissyb
Great subject for the morning, I used to be embaressed but now having it for so long just want an answer!

I moved to canada MAY 2012 about three weeks in I started having painful stomach cramps and awful diarrhea. 80 % of the time it happens after a meal and on average I have it atleast twice a day.

I have had blood and stool tests coming back negative for any intolorence to food. I have just had another stool test for Bowel Cancer just to be sure. I stopped drinking the water (as suggested even though its the best) no change.

Even the dog had terrible diarrhea we have had to stop giving her meat and biscuits and just give her biscuits now shes fine! My partner gets it every now and again but its never been how it was in England for him. My sons (21 months) isnt exactly great but its mine thats the worse. We know of three other people who have moved here and are suffering the exact same problem within weeks of moving with all tests being done and nothing coming back.

Has any one had this and found a solution, its really starting to affect me now!
There was a similar thread on this issue.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...GRATION%2FDIET
Old Apr 17th 2013, 4:11 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

This might be of interest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:57 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

As above, are you drinking pop with the meals? Could be High Fructose Corn Syrup intolerance - I have this, took me a while to work out as they don't use it commonly in the UK...
Old Apr 21st 2013, 3:14 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I frequently have a funny tummy, just never thought too much about it really, not been as bad since starting the diet i'm on. Now wondering if I should see a doctor
Old Apr 21st 2013, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by G77
As above, are you drinking pop with the meals? Could be High Fructose Corn Syrup intolerance - I have this, took me a while to work out as they don't use it commonly in the UK...
No i drink pop very very rarely.

This mornings intake was the brand "simple" Oatmeal with milk and a couple of the mini eggs wrapped in foil from easter !

Well that didn't go down too well.....!!

The night before I had mushroom soup with sesame seed bread and a couple of the cheeky mini eggs! 5 minutes later bam!

The eggs say corn syrup but not high fructose + they are tiny.

It makes me think dairy but the test's say negative...
Old Apr 21st 2013, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I frequently have a funny tummy, just never thought too much about it really, not been as bad since starting the diet i'm on. Now wondering if I should see a doctor
I am trying to slowly introduce the vegan diet. Worth a try I suppose.

Its worth visiting the doctors just to have a few intolorence tests..I refuse to just pop pills as its not solving the problem and the fact is It only started since we all moved here and its meals that seem to do it. Its awful . But I have a feeling at the end of it all that will be the solution they give me (pills) !
Old Apr 21st 2013, 4:10 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Im sorry cos i dont want to make light of your situation but this is thread title of the year.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 4:12 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissyb
No i drink pop very very rarely.

This mornings intake was the brand "simple" Oatmeal with milk and a couple of the mini eggs wrapped in foil from easter !

Well that didn't go down too well.....!!

The night before I had mushroom soup with sesame seed bread and a couple of the cheeky mini eggs! 5 minutes later bam!

The eggs say corn syrup but not high fructose + they are tiny.

It makes me think dairy but the test's say negative...
Well both of those meals had gluten in them, so perhaps that.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 4:23 am
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bats
Don't discount colitis (Ulcerative Colitis). If there's blood in your stools, it could be a possibility. A member of my family had cramps and blood in his stools and was told it was food intolerance, then a tummy bug....after a colonoscopy he was diagnosed with colitis. Could be worth a mention to the quack.

I hope it's just a simple re-adjustment to different food ingredients here though and you'll be as right as rain very soon
Old Apr 21st 2013, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

What's your opinion on alternative treatments like homeopathy? It's worked wonders for me when doctors couldn't...

I would find your local homeopathy place - where are you? If its Calgary I can recommend a good place
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:27 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Do an 'elimination' diet and keep a record of what you eat and what the reaction is, that way you should be able to isolate what food(s) are affecting you.

You might want to read this in case you can relate to it too: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dum...ndrome/DS00715

It is not limited to people who have had gastric surgery, so don't be put off by that, it's common name is "rapid gastric emptying" so you can google it!

Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

franfluff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bats
i was going to say gluten intolerance too x
Old Apr 21st 2013, 1:44 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Chrissy...yes, it's a hell of a good title, bet there's not a person on here that won't read the thread!

Other than this, how do you feel emotionally? I ask, as a few years back I was living in a country I was unhappy in, doing a job I loathed. I was rushed into hospital three times, and had cameras poked in every orifice over a two year period. I did exclusion, diets was sent to Harley Street by the company, and came back positve on alergy testing for practically every meat and fish protein. Irritable bowel, seemed to be a popular catch all at the time for unsolved problems, so they decided it was that. I was in constant pain and food became an enemy. Then I moved country and job and my life became happier and everything became 'normal'. It wasn't fast took a few months but it did settle down. I can now eat anything, and am in fine form.

Is it possible that aspects of your move have unsettled you more than you have accounted for? The stomach is the seat of the emotions, and even sometimes whilst you brain is fine with change your stomach can say No!

Last edited by MillieF; Apr 21st 2013 at 1:45 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 21st 2013, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MillieF
Chrissy...yes, it's a hell of a good title, bet there's not a person on here that won't read the thread!

Other than this, how do you feel emotionally? I ask, as a few years back I was living in a country I was unhappy in, doing a job I loathed. I was rushed into hospital three times, and had cameras poked in every orifice over a two year period. I did exclusion, diets was sent to Harley Street by the company, and came back positve on alergy testing for practically every meat and fish protein. Irritable bowel, seemed to be a popular catch all at the time for unsolved problems, so they decided it was that. I was in constant pain and food became an enemy. Then I moved country and job and my life became happier and everything became 'normal'. It wasn't fast took a few months but it did settle down. I can now eat anything, and am in fine form.

Is it possible that aspects of your move have unsettled you more than you have accounted for? The stomach is the seat of the emotions, and even sometimes whilst you brain is fine with change your stomach can say No!
I was aiming to attract people with the title! haha (seriously not bothered anymore after having it since May!)

It could be stress as I was in charge of everything for the move to lining up his interview etc. But I had alot more stress in england than I do here! We are alot happier here and could not imagine going back. But I am only young (23) and moved with my 9 month old (not blaming it on my age but I suppose having my first child , leaving family , being in charge of everything may of been it. )

I am having a colonosopy booked in but am told this could take a few months (I'm in BC). So that should rule everything else out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.