British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Diabetes and OHIP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/diabetes-ohip-883975/)

mark5116 Sep 29th 2016 11:02 am

Diabetes and OHIP

Hi All

I'm a type 1 insulin dependant diabetic, i was just wondering how the healthcare system caters for this, with regards to appointments ie in the uk i see my nurse yearly have all my bloods done and diabetic eye screening, is it the same in canada or would i pay for such appointments.

Moving to ontario

I understand i have to qualify first for OHIP.

But once youve qualified if say you need an operation would you have to pay, thats what im struggling to find out. (not that im planning on having any ops)

Thank you

BristolUK Sep 29th 2016 11:43 am

Re: Diabetes and OHIP

I think you'll do well enough in Ontario.

Blood tests and eye screening all done free here and no doubt that's the same there. You may have to go to a clinic somewhere inconvenient (for the eye screening) rather than a hospital. (I do a bit both)

A plus with Ontario is they pay towards some supplies but not every province does.

mark5116 Sep 29th 2016 11:45 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12064249)
I think you'll do well enough in Ontario.

Blood tests and eye screening all done free here and no doubt that's the same there. You may have to go to a clinic somewhere inconvenient (for the eye screening) rather than a hospital. (I do a bit both)

A plus with Ontario is they pay towards some supplies but not every province does.

Thank you great stuff :thumbsup:

SchnookoLoly Sep 29th 2016 1:13 pm

Not exactly the same thing, but related... I had gestational diabetes while I was pregnant. OHIP covered my first glucose measuring device. Insurance (through mine and Mr S's work) covered the rest of the supplies (lancets and testing strips). I was diet-controlled, though, not insulin, so I can't speak to how much OHIP pays towards insulin. However, a friend of mine is also Type I and while she was on a contract job with no benefits she specifically bought a private health insurance plan (I want to say Blue Cross?) to cover the cost of supplies.

mark5116 Sep 29th 2016 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 12064346)
Not exactly the same thing, but related... I had gestational diabetes while I was pregnant. OHIP covered my first glucose measuring device. Insurance (through mine and Mr S's work) covered the rest of the supplies (lancets and testing strips). I was diet-controlled, though, not insulin, so I can't speak to how much OHIP pays towards insulin. However, a friend of mine is also Type I and while she was on a contract job with no benefits she specifically bought a private health insurance plan (I want to say Blue Cross?) to cover the cost of supplies.

Thank you

Almost Canadian Sep 29th 2016 1:35 pm

The following amounts are the approximate amounts charged for prescriptions to me (actual cost of each of them). It is normal for most employers to offer some form of extended health insurance that will pay for some of these costs. The amount covered by such insurance is usually somewhere between 80 and 100%:

Test strips - $80 a month
Lantus (32 units daily) - $100 a month
Novorapid (35 - 60 units daily) - $150 month

I have coverage with Alberta Blue Cross. Under such coverage, I am permitted $600 of diabetic supplies each year (test strips, needles, etc) and there is a maximum payable for every 3 months worth of supplies for Lantus and Novorapid of $25. It pays to obtain such supplies in 3 month chunks otherwise, if one obtained a single months worth, each month would cost $25.

mark5116 Sep 29th 2016 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12064373)
The following amounts are the approximate amounts charged for prescriptions to me (actual cost of each of them). It is normal for most employers to offer some form of extended health insurance that will pay for some of these costs. The amount covered by such insurance is usually somewhere between 80 and 100%:

I have coverage with Alberta Blue Cross. Under such coverage, I am permitted $600 of diabetic supplies each year (test strips, needles, etc) and there is a maximum payable for every 3 months worth of supplies for Lantus and Novorapid of $25. It pays to obtain such supplies in 3 month chunks otherwise, if one obtained a single months worth, each month would cost $25.

Very useful, after talking to my company and colleagues im lead to believe that all prescriptions are covered under our company benefit package through sunlife.

mark5116 Sep 29th 2016 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12064373)

Out of interest what is the monthly cost for your insurance with blue cross?

BristolUK Sep 29th 2016 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by mark5116 (Post 12064383)
Very useful, after talking to my company and colleagues im lead to believe that all prescriptions are covered under our company benefit package through sunlife.

That might not include strips and needles mind. That's worth checking.

I believe Ontario pays something like $100 monthly towards supplies. One assumes there would be no need for that if all the plans covered it.
It does appear that many people on this forum get great coverage - even 100% and things like massage included - just as many get 4 weeks plus annual leave.

These things are not the norm in Canada, just at higher end employment.

SchnookoLoly Sep 29th 2016 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12064401)
That might not include strips and needles mind. That's worth checking.

I believe Ontario pays something like $100 monthly towards supplies. One assumes there would be no need for that if all the plans covered it.
It does appear that many people on this forum get great coverage - even 100% and things like massage included - just as many get 4 weeks plus annual leave.

These things are not the norm in Canada, just at higher end employment.

My work covered 80% of all my diabetes materials. Can't speak for the insulin portion, but 80% was covered, and the coordination of benefits with my husband picked up the rest.

To give a bit of an idea of what else I have covered:
-$200 every 3 years for eyeglasses
-$500 every year for massage therapy
-$500 every year for chiropractic services
-$500 every year for physiotherapy
-$300 every 3 years for each of orthotics and orthotic shoes
-80% coverage for most prescription drugs
-$50 deductible then 80% coverage for most medical devices (e.g., my daughter needed an aerochamber when she was prescribed an inhaler, cost me $59... $50 deductible, 80% of $9 was paid. Score!)
There's some other stuff as well but that's what i can remember offhand.

My company offers 3 levels of benefit as well, Bronze, Silver, Gold. The Bronze level has some reduced values (e.g., massage/chiro/physio are all limited to $250 instead of $500) and some reduced percentages (50% drugs instead of 80% drugs, dental coverage changes as well). There are no employee premiums on the Bronze plan, then increasing premiums for Silver and Gold. (Another example, Bronze and Silver have zero coverage for hospital rooms higher than quad rooms. Gold has 50% coverage for private rooms.)

Premiums work out to $600/year from Bronze to Silver, can't remember what they charge from Silver to Gold.

My husband's benefits have a similar kind of heirarchy structure. In addition, he has a $500/year Health Spending Account, that he can use towards nearly anything. For example, his physiotherapy services max out at $500 annually, so if he spends more than $500 he can claim the remainder out of the $500 available in the Health Spending Account. Last year we used the HSA towards my hospital stay when I gave birth. His benefits covered 50% of the room (2 nights), mine covered zero, so we claimed the remaining 50% on his HSA.

Siouxie Sep 29th 2016 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 12064346)

If ever anyone needs a replacement device (or newly diagnosed) Accu-Chek, One-touch, Contour and other companies will provide a coupon to get one for free. No minimum purchase required.

This info may be of use:

https://www.diabetes.ca/getmedia/......grams.pdf.aspx
Assistive Devices Program- Public - MOHLTC
Trillium Drug Program - Public Information - MOHLTC

The Trillium program provides financial assistance for those that have insufficient private medical coverage through their work (depending on income level).

All patients with Diabetes are covered regardless of age for a full eye exam each year as well as checks in between if deemed necessary by your eye care professional

SchnookoLoly Sep 29th 2016 4:03 pm

^Good point, I forgot to mention that. I remember once I went to get test strips and they said that if you spent over $x on the strips (regardless of whether insurance was paying) then you just filled out a form and you got a free tester. I took the second one as having a spare was super useful.

BristolUK Sep 29th 2016 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12064501)
If ever anyone needs a replacement device (or newly diagnosed) Accu-Chek, One-touch, Contour and other companies will provide a coupon to get one for free...

Sometimes it's even just an ad in a flyer.

But for two reasons it may not be the great deal it seems.

One is, as SchnookoLoly mentions, having to buy the strips. Great if the strips are covered as you benefit from the free machine without having to actually pay for the strips (although the chances are you might get a free one anyway with that coverage) but less so if that brand of strips costs more than another....and two, depending on your machine they may not cost that much anyway.

I was at the pharmacy counter at Walmart a couple of years ago (getting some glucose tabs) and I just happened to glance down at the shelf and they had one meter there for $4 and another for $8.

Possibly that means having coded strips (no biggie) but paying that little and cheaper strips may well cost less than a free machine but more expensive strips.

My present machine (code-free and lots of features but I don't use them) was free simply from doing an online thing.
Research showed that these particular meters had been withdrawn from sale as they were inaccurate at readings of something like above 40. But if you're getting a reading above 40 you're a gonner already!! :eek:

plasticcanuck Sep 29th 2016 9:18 pm

There's a new testing machine available, Accu-Check Mobile. Cost of machine to me $0. No strips are involved, rather a cassette with 50 tests in it. It also has a cassette for 6 needles which goes into the needle device attached to the machine. Quite small and easily carried in trousers pocket or a murse (I don't have one). The beauty of this device is its portability and ease of operation. It also has a number of features associated with the retention of its information. No more inserting strips while at a dining table.

mark5116 Sep 29th 2016 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 12064882)
There's a new testing machine available, Accu-Check Mobile. Cost of machine to me $0. No strips are involved, rather a cassette with 50 tests in it. It also has a cassette for 6 needles which goes into the needle device attached to the machine. Quite small and easily carried in trousers pocket or a murse (I don't have one). The beauty of this device is its portability and ease of operation. It also has a number of features associated with the retention of its information. No more inserting strips while at a dining table.

That sounds really good I must look into getting one