Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Detained in Toronto, and in desperate need of help!

Detained in Toronto, and in desperate need of help!

Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Detained in Toronto, and in desperate need of help!

Originally Posted by Gremmie
I think any sympathy you might have had (none from me) has just been lost...
I can now belive you attacked the hand that tried to care for you...
I hope they lock you up for a long time as you obviously deserve it
eh?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:21 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Little Britain
Not to sound nasty but I hope someone punches you in the face. And later on when you seek help from the police, I hope they say "well you should be grateful they did stab you" while laughing in your face.
So maybe you did punch somebody in the face then or threathen to stab them instead of just shoving them? By the way don`t you mean "didn`t stab you" in the sentence you wrote above. You seem to have found something offensive in what I wrote, when in fact I was just trying to believe how somebody could be put on trial for a shove unless it was a very violent shove or something?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Little Britain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Which is it to be
I meant in terms or going through organisations, charities, officials here.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I meant in terms or going through organisations, charities, officials here.
What have the British High Commission said? Did someone from there come to visit you in jail?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:23 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Without wishing to discuss your credibility on the general points you've raised, that was a very good reply, richly deserved by Jules.
Try not to get too personal eh
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
So maybe you did punch somebody in the face then or threathen to stab them instead of just shoving them? By the way don`t you mean "didn`t stab you" in the sentence you wrote above. You seem to have found something offensive in what I wrote, when in fact I was just trying to believe how somebody could be put on trial for a shove unless it was a very violent shove or something?
It was an analogy. Simply put, imagine something bad happening to you, then someone telling you that you should be "grateful" that it could have been worse, and then laughing at you.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Could try getting arrested again, ...or maybe try smuggling yourself into the US...the US authorities couldnt sent you back to Canada, as the CBSA would deny entry, so they would have to send you back to blighty....

DISCLAIMER; THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE IN ANY JURISDICTION OR PARALLEL UNIVERSE!!!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
What have the British High Commission said? Did someone from there come to visit you in jail?
Only someone from the British Consulate, not the High Commission, that's in Ottawa.

Basicially they say that they can't get involved in any way, there's no funding from Britian to help in any form.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:30 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

It was an analogy. Simply put, imagine something bad happening to you, then someone telling you that you should be "grateful" that it could have been worse, and then laughing at you.
Ah ok I understand the analogy. By the way, I am not laughing at you as this is not a laughing matter especially not for you. Just tried to make the point that I find it difficult to believe that somebody would be put on trial for what you have allegedly done?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:31 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

In England I would be surprised if I spent a night in the cells.
This is Canada. We have higher standards.

Assaulting medical staff is taken far more seriously here.

R.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Ah ok I understand the analogy. By the way, I am not laughing at you as this is not a laughing matter especially not for you. Just tried to make the point that I find it difficult to believe that somebody would be put on trial for what you have allegedly done?
I'm sorry if my comment came off wrong.

It's a strange system here. It's set up in a way that people most just confess. The Ontario law system is very slow, so most simply "plea bargain" to get it over with. I met more that one Brit that was forced into doing this. Very few lawyers even do trials here.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Try these people:- http://www.prisonersabroad.org.uk/

I know you're no longer a prisoner per-se (in so much as you're not in a prison, but you as may well be if you can't leave the country or earn yourself a living) but it says they help people who've been arrested abroad (which you have). They must have some useful contacts and it seems they are very experienced in matters such as these.

Worth a try anyway.

Last edited by seanyg; Oct 31st 2008 at 7:41 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by seanyg
Thank you but I already worked with them. They don't help people outside of jail. I explained that I'm not allowed to leave and have no funding. They were sympathetic but said they couldn't help.

Nice to see someone trying though.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. I'd try the media route then

NB: If you did assault this person (albeit unintentionally and whilst under the influence of drugs / medication) why not just plead guilty under mitigating circumstances? Even if you're found innocent I'd agree with the others that the whole 'being arrested and in prison' thing might jeopardise your chances of citizenship, so pleading guilty can't do any worse and you might get off with a fine and suspended sentence, seeing as you've already done 7 months.

Just an idea anyway
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:44 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

I'm sorry if my comment came off wrong.

It's a strange system here. It's set up in a way that people most just confess. The Ontario law system is very slow, so most simply "plea bargain" to get it over with. I met more that one Brit that was forced into doing this. Very few lawyers even do trials here.
So if you confess what is the likely outcome? Or failing to do this and being found guilty by a jury would this affect your possibility of staying in Canada permanently if that is your general goal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.