Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Destination query

Destination query

Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Liftman, you can't get that house out of your mind can you!!!Hope it is still here when you come so you can at least go have a look at it.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:45 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

I can look, even if I can't touch!
Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

JoolsG will become famous soon enoughJoolsG will become famous soon enough
Default Hi Padsnbon!

We have just landed in Nova Scotia - 5 weeks ago on Monday!

When we submitted our application we put Toronto down as our destination but we ended up changing our minds and landed at Halifax.

We had no problems going through immigration or customs and no-one even asked why we weren't landing at Toronto. I think the destination enquiry is mostly for them to have rough ideas of who is intending to settle where. I also think the only time you have to stick to your destination choice is if you are applying under a provincial nominee programmme.

However, if you are applying as an independent skilled worker you can land at the destination on your form and at any time move elsewhere to any province. Or not land at that destination but at anywhere within Canada.

HTH! We are also more than happy to "give the benefit of our experiences" on landing and early settling in Nova Scotia! Not sure how much help it will be but ...

Julie, Richard et al
Old Jul 9th 2004, 12:50 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Padsnbon
Hello neighbour from Lancs

We've got the paperwork just to look at, but we haven't filled anything in yet. Our timing is crucial, cos if we get a PR it will fall right in daughter's final year, GCSE's etc, so we holding off for a little while.

Did you say driving? Trucks? OH is qualified with minibuses which he is currently doing for a local guide tour company here, but his main experience is in conservation, National Trust
Padsnbon your daughter is how old?
The don't normally leave school here until they are 18. They do grade 1 (6 years old) to grade 12. school age is from Jan 1st

With our four we said how long they had been in school.
So here in manitoba

Aug 87 - Just Graduated grade 12 off to Uni ( year ahead)
Oct 88 - Just finished Grade 10 ( right Age)
Aug 92 - Just finished grade 8 ( year ahead)
July 94 - Started at six most annoying to her as at 4 she was already in Kindergarden at the school in the UK.

So your daughter might have to go to high school here.

Also you husband in conservation, National Trust, is this Forestry land management because that is a huge industry over here.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Padsnbon is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe I'll miss this bit of info out for her No, she's a real bright spark and education is something she enjoys unless of course she is getting bullied! She was born in April 1992 That is nice to know though cos then we won't have to worry about pulling her out of school in her final year. I'll get my application out now Thanks for the info on that

OH is in land management more than forestry. We have a separate group called the Forestry Commission who deals with the larger areas of forestry, so its mainly land, eco systems etc. He knows a bit about forestry management but .....he is also experienced in property management...any search engine if you key in Attingham Park, Shrewsbury will bring up his last job. It was a 11 mile square Estate with parkland, main house and deer park.....so yeah its land management I guess.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 5:52 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

If she bright and Mature for her age then see if you can get into grade 8.

But its different in every province. Were told if we moved to Alberta the two age advanced kids would have to go in their AGE bracket ie repeat the last year.

Abi ( born 92) is big for her age so you don't notice she is younger, her best friend is down a year due to missing a year when her family went to India. So some times there is an Social age maturity issue. But not often. Being a total book worm she is not into the glitz boys and chatering gossip. Luckly for us

The boy ( born 87 )broke his ankle last year so can't drive and thats been the biggest social issue upto 18 months younger and not driving / drinking / clubing etc with his school friends. He plays soccer so at first he was on his age group, no school friends on the team, then got onto a "school age" team with his friends and that was better.

So being up a year isn't only the academic considerations. you'll need to consider apporiate behaviour patterns /expectations / Maturity levels etc of friends as well as your daughters.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Padsnbon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the insight, mines a book worm and not "into" boys as such but I'm bracing myself
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:07 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Padsnbon
Thanks for the insight, mines a book worm and not "into" boys as such but I'm bracing myself
She will be when she has been here a while. The peer pressure to be "into boys" (in every conceivable way) is very strong. Kids here are sexually active at an alarmingly young age and the Grade 7/8 level is when the boy thing and the bitchiness kicks in in earnest.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 12:44 am
Glaswegian

The age for school is not always a December year end. In Calgary the age that matters is the age on 28 February BUT parents can decide that a child born in the period Oct to Feb are not "ready" for school and pull them back a year. So in effect the age range in any classroom can be two years - three in those split year rooms!

We didnt know about the holding back rule (with a boy with a January birthday) but with hindsight we are glad we didnt hold him back.

The moral is to be very aware that what the rules say on ages for grades isnt always applied!