Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DESPERATE OIL TANK SPILL HELP

DESPERATE OIL TANK SPILL HELP

Old May 22nd 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute
Default DESPERATE OIL TANK SPILL HELP

Ok in brief i have had an oil tank spill and I am desperate I just do not know where to turn for advice and guidance.
Its not at my home but at the property I rent out to tenants.

Of course the property is insured I have been a belt and braces type all of my life when it comes to insurance but gues what AN OIL SPILL IS EXCLUDED FROM COVER

I really am in total state only got divorced in April and struggling to hold it together anyway, I am on my last dime.

Ive done the right thing and reported to envirnmental health as I am obliged to do and I have to protect my tenant and my neighbours.

I do not know the size of the spill or how long oil has been leaking.
I was told by the insurance company I had to get a new oil line which I did withinb a week of buying the house. I was also told I would need a new tank this year which of course I tried to comply with new tank was supposed to be going in today. Now would not any reasonable thinking person belive that I was therefore covered for oil spills. Tank is still under 10 years old.

I have contacted the insurance ombudsmen and they tell me I would not win against the insurance company as oil spills are a common exclusion for a rental property.

The house cost me $30,000 the oil spill clean up is upwards from $20,000 to over $100,000 they cannot tell me how much until they start excavating and soil testing.

I am terrified of bankrupcy and losing the home I live in.
I have resigned myslef to losing the rental house and the $6000 I have spent on improvement which is also my main source of income and my little bit of security for my old age.

Where do I go who do I turn to I cannot find anything like citizens advice here.
I have talked to some debt avisors and they confirm my worst fear if the bill is over the value of the rental house and I end up with a bill for $100,000 then yes I lose my home.
My only other income is 18 hours a week at $9.25 an hour I am truely up s&&t creek without a paddle.

Please please please check your insurance nobody told me that I was not covered and I risk not only losing the house but a bill more than 3 times the value of the house plus my own home and financial future.

Canada aint looking quite so rosy for me today.

Anyone with experience or pointers etc any help apprecaited
Thankyou
Old May 22nd 2010, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

Top Cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DESPERATE OIL TANK SPILL HELP

OMG

Im so sorry to hear this. Im also sorry I cant help you out with any of it, but wanted to say that I will be thinking of you.

Fingers crossed things will sort themselves out for you

Top Cat
Old May 22nd 2010, 3:48 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't read and not post. You poor thing.

The only thing I can think of is if it had been leaking before you bought the house, maybe the previous owner might be liable? But I'm talking from a BC perspective here.

Otherwise I have no idea. I'm sorry. I know oil tanks leaking is a huge problem.
Old May 22nd 2010, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Scotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really nice

Thats is an absolute nightmare. I also live in NS im in Fallriver if you need any help with anything just ask
Old May 22nd 2010, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

First thing you need to do is check your policy.
Most policies (and i'm speaking more in terms of a commercial policy) exclude pollution... and this would be considered pollution. Some will include a limit for pollution clean up expenses.
If you want to email me a copy of your policy, send me a PM and i'll have a look for you.
Old May 22nd 2010, 4:12 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Likewise, couldn't read it and not post.

Didn't Amydavid's problems occur due to an oil leak if I remember rightly, sge would be the best one to talk to regarding stuff if thats the case.

I'm so sorry that this has happened - it always seems the real shitty things happen at the time you really least need them.

Hugs and best wishes is about the best I can do i'm afraid but at least we are here to talk to about it.xxxx
Old May 22nd 2010, 4:16 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG i'm sorry, even though am in uk & have no experience that could help.

thinking of you!
Old May 22nd 2010, 4:19 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

The house cost me $30,000
God damn, I'm moving to your neck of the woods.

Good luck with this spill, sorry but I cannot offer any advice.
Old May 22nd 2010, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
First thing you need to do is check your policy.
Most policies (and i'm speaking more in terms of a commercial policy) exclude pollution... and this would be considered pollution. Some will include a limit for pollution clean up expenses.
If you want to email me a copy of your policy, send me a PM and i'll have a look for you.
thanks jerico got to go to work now but will message you and send you a copy of the policy i checked with the insurance compamny first thing yesterday and they told me defo not covered as ive insured it as a rental
dont suppose there is any come back for such bad advice eg nobody made it clear no covaer i was told to replace the line and get anew tank this year which made me think i was covered plus this is THE greatest risk for any home heated by oil here some cleanups for a simple home tank have been $900,000
im enraged that i have been left open to this risk and might just lose everything xx
Old May 22nd 2010, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chumley
thanks jerico got to go to work now but will message you and send you a copy of the policy i checked with the insurance compamny first thing yesterday and they told me defo not covered as ive insured it as a rental
dont suppose there is any come back for such bad advice eg nobody made it clear no covaer i was told to replace the line and get anew tank this year which made me think i was covered plus this is THE greatest risk for any home heated by oil here some cleanups for a simple home tank have been $900,000
im enraged that i have been left open to this risk and might just lose everything xx
Yeah sorry, but if it's excluded, it's excluded.
The rental aspect shouldnt really make a difference, so not sure what that's about. I've PM'd you my email address....
Old May 22nd 2010, 5:06 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Likewise, couldn't read it and not post.

Didn't Amydavid's problems occur due to an oil leak if I remember rightly, sge would be the best one to talk to regarding stuff if thats the case.

I'm so sorry that this has happened - it always seems the real shitty things happen at the time you really least need them.

Hugs and best wishes is about the best I can do i'm afraid but at least we are here to talk to about it.xxxx

Nope not oil - water. So sorry to hear about this Chumley - I hope you manage to find a silver lining somewhere. x
Old May 22nd 2010, 5:07 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley

Did you have a house inspection before you moved in? Could the leak be something to do with a faulty install of the new line?
Old May 22nd 2010, 5:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Without doubt go and see a lawyer to find out if you have any recourse. You could try Lawyer Referral or Legal Aid if you cannot afford it. I would say whatever, it has to be worth the cost of a half hour consultation, which some firms do for free.

Assuming this has been going on before you purchased, did you get a property disclosure statement - If so check item 5.

http://www.menno.ca/New_Folder4/pcds_sample.pdf

Does not help you, but if renting out investment property, worth considering incorporating a business to own and handle the rentals. This way helps protect and personal assets.

We have a reno nightmare going on right now and are heading to court. Hope yours works out OK in the end.

Last edited by Aviator; May 22nd 2010 at 5:16 pm.
Old May 22nd 2010, 5:16 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

That really sucks, I hope you get a cost effective resolution. I would also question the replacements you have had done.
Old May 22nd 2010, 6:51 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

what a nightmare, so sorry to hear this has happened, who are your insurers here in NS? Did you go through a broker, if so who are they, I work for an insurer here and can look into it further for you to get some more info as to where you may stand and what you can look to do, Jericho Im sure will also be able to offer some info if you are sending him your policy schedule and docs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.