Dentists.....

Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dentists.....

Okay - I am terrified of the dentist, I don't mind admitting it, I have had lots of work done and have 2 caps still to have done.

In the UK, we have the dentist NHS and these caps will cost me £194 (about $400), this price is the MAXIMUM we have to pay under the NHS, so the £194 is for 1 cap or a mouth full of caps.

What would the price for this work be in Canada?

When we come in Jan/Feb, we get dental and health insurance as part of my new job (well, paid foer 50/50 anyway).

Will these be covered in my dental insurance?

Chris.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:09 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dentists.....

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
Okay - I am terrified of the dentist, I don't mind admitting it, I have had lots of work done and have 2 caps still to have done.

In the UK, we have the dentist NHS and these caps will cost me £194 (about $400), this price is the MAXIMUM we have to pay under the NHS, so the £194 is for 1 cap or a mouth full of caps.

When we come in Jan/Feb, we get dental and health insurance as part of my new job (well, paid foer 50/50 anyway).

Chris.
If it just a cap on a molar no root canal required expect a bill in the range of $1,200. If a root canal is needed in addition to the cap then expect a bill in the range of $2,200. I paid the $2,200 last year for a root canal and crown (cap) and was quoted the $1,200 for a crown (cap) just recently.

Dental insurance if you have it would most likely cover 50%. Also a lot of dental plans also have a limit as to how much they'll pay out on your behalf during a calender year. A couple of caps could along with regular checkup and cleaning could exceed that limit.

The insurance information I'm not totally sure of as I haven't had any dental insurance since leaving work.

Perhaps someone with recent experience of insurance will come along and help.

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
If it just a cap on a molar no root canal required expect a bill in the range of $1,200. If a root canal is needed in addition to the cap then expect a bill in the range of $2,200. I paid the $2,200 last year for a root canal and crown (cap) and was quoted the $1,200 for a crown (cap) just recently.
OMG

That is SOOOO expensive.

Best I get it sorted before I leave!!

I am happy I asked now.

Cheers Steve.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:13 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Chris,

No idea how much the procedures will cost but typically, dental coverage pays 80% of the cost of a procedure to a maximum ceiling. The details of my plan are:

Benefit Type Payable At
Routine
  • Basic 80%
  • Endodontics 80%
  • Periodontics 80%
  • Preventative 80%

Major
All Other Major 70%
Bridges and Dentures 70%
Crowns/Onlays 70%

Orthodontics (age restrictions may apply) 50%

Plan Maximum & Frequency
Routine Reasonable & Customary

Major, Bridges & Dentures $1,500 per person per calendar year(s)

Orthodontics (age restrictions may apply) $1,500 per person lifetime
Accidental Dental Covered

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Oct 29th 2007 at 4:17 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Chris,

No idea how much the procedures will cost but typically, dental coverage pays 80% of the cost of a procedure to a maximum ceiling. The details of my plan are:
No more am I going to slag off the UK NHS!

On the phone now, booking me proceedures.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Chris.
Root canal and caps will run about $1000 ish each,

Insurance if you have it may cover it, most dental plans will pay maybe 80% of the provincial association treatment cost limit for stuff like that, but it will depend entirely on your plan and how good it is. 50% might be your lot.

I was lucky...sort of...I went over the handlebars on my bike and the whole bill was covered 100% under "accidental dental". I'm not sure I recommend that as a plan though! Overall cost for 2 and a half crowns and a bit of other clean up was almost $4000.

My dentist is a genius though for managing to put me back together as well as he did. He drives a corvette convertible...plate is OPN YDR....I'm assuming that's a reference to my wallet.

If you google around you might be able to find the provincial dental association cost ceilings that the insurance companies use. Many dentists charge more than the guideline price, so if you are getting treatment here it might be worth calling around to get a deal. Certainly ask around before chosing a dentist, some are better and or cheaper than others for routine stuff.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 29th 2007 at 4:26 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:18 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

No more am I going to slag off the UK NHS!

On the phone now, booking me proceedures.
You are presumably one of the fortunate in the UK who has an NHS dentist. I understand many don't these days.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

monique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud of

Dentists here are NOT cheap, at least not in Ontario, not sure about other provinces. If by caps you mean crowns, a crown is about $700.

Most dental insurance plans covers basic and major work at different levels of reimbursement. By basic, I mean cleaning, extractions, fillings, root canal may fall under basic or major, depending on the dental plan type. Major would include crowns, dentures, surgery, etc. Some, but not all plans include orthotontics as well.

Depending on your plan type, basic usually is covered at 80% to 100% reimbursement, major between 50% to 80% and orthodontics at 50%.

All work has a yearly dental maximum PER person (hardly ever per family, but they do exist), typically about $2,000 or $3,000, except orthodontics is typically a lifetime maximum.

Coverage varies depending on the type of plan your employer will offer, once you're here, I would suggest you get a dental estimate from your dentist so that you'll get no big surprises.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

monique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud of

... was quoted the $1,200 for a crown (cap) just recently.Steve
I was quoted $700 a couple months ago, mind you, it was for a replacement crown, but it should be the same as a new crown, only difference, I already had the endodontic treatment done (root canal), so the price was strictly for a crown.

If you need a good dentist, I can recommend mine to you.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:28 pm
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all

Dental insurance if you have it would most likely cover 50%. Also a lot of dental plans also have a limit as to how much they'll pay out on your behalf during a calender year. A couple of caps could along with regular checkup and cleaning could exceed that limit.

The insurance information I'm not totally sure of as I haven't had any dental insurance since leaving work.

Perhaps someone with recent experience of insurance will come along and help.

Cheers
Steve
Damn.....Best I have all my teeth out before I make the move...

Last edited by swoops; Oct 29th 2007 at 4:31 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Atlantic Xpat;5484354
Accidental Dental Covered[/QUOTE]

Yes, but note that if accident was caused by eating, it is NOT covered, so make sure you fall out of bed or something like that. :
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by swoops
Damn.....Best I have all my teeth out before I make the move...
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You are presumably one of the fortunate in the UK who has an NHS dentist. I understand many don't these days.
Luckily yes, it's crazy though, up until a few months ago, I thought everyone in the UK got an NHS dentist.

Don't think that's the case.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:52 pm
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by monique
I would suggest you get a dental estimate from your dentist so that you'll get no big surprises.
Are we talking a Bridging loan.....
Old Oct 29th 2007, 5:04 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily yes, it's crazy though, up until a few months ago, I thought everyone in the UK got an NHS dentist.

Don't think that's the case.
Many people have been private for many years in the UK. Most dentists turned private and their patients were forced to become private patients or go elsewhere.

Our dental charges have been cheaper in Canada so far. Our insurance covers 80%, except for crowns, etc which is covered at 50-60%

Dentist
Check-up and 5 x-rays = $19
Work done to the root of an existing crown, plus one filling = $46
Hygenist 1 hour appointment = $16

Children over the age of 10 pay for dental treatment

I wouldn't think that the NHS would let you have a mouthful of crowns for £194 tops unless perhaps you had smashed you face up in an accident. They would more likely charge you $194 for 1 or 2 crowns at a time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.