Reload this Page >

Dental Nurses/Assistants Canada

Dental Nurses/Assistants Canada

Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

MitchellGingell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dental Nurses/Assistants Canada

Hi everyone!! New on here!

Just wondering if there are any Dental Nurses or assistants working or looking to work over in Canada.
Everyone in our profession seem to be moving to Australia - I guess thats because they recognise our qualification!!

Thanks
Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

HelNAl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dental Nurses/Assistants Canada

HI,
I am a dental nurse and am in the final part of our application.If you need any info on the dental exam in Canada your best looking at this site:
www.ndaeb.ca and go into 'international applicants',this should give you all the details you need.You can also find out who to speak to in whichever province you are going to.I,m really looking forward to being a RDA 11 and actually treating patients myself.Hope this has helped if you didn't already know.
Helen
Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

MitchellGingell is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, are you doing the exam before you go or when you get over there?? I have heard you can take it over here before you go. Did you find it easy to get a job offer??
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,
I was told you can only do the exam in Canada as you have to go to an approved college to upgrade and do the intra-oral part of the course.Once you have completed this and had your UK qualifications assessed can you then sit the canadian dental assistant written exam.I am not the primary applicant OH is,so we applied through him Aug 05 and we have just got our med requests so will now apply for jobs for him and I will do the exam when I get to wherever we end up!We were originally going to Calgary so I e-mailed the Alberta branch of the association (each province has one) and they reply with all the info you need.I have found that most adverts for dental nurse jobs are looking for a level 11 nurse so I have not gone down the job route as I do not have qualification.If you need any more info just ask.Where are you heading and where in the visa queue are you?
Regs Helen
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

davidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Dental Nurses/Assistants Canada

Hi Guys I have just seen your reply. Wondering if you can help. I am 23 and I am a qual Dental Nurse with nearly 3 years exp and I have NVQ L3 in Oral Health Care. Is Dental Nurse in Skill AB or O alot of people are saying it is but am not sure I don't have family in Canada and I am going on my own any advice ???
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:32 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidrn
Hi Guys I have just seen your reply. Wondering if you can help. I am 23 and I am a qual Dental Nurse with nearly 3 years exp and I have NVQ L3 in Oral Health Care. Is Dental Nurse in Skill AB or O alot of people are saying it is but am not sure I don't have family in Canada and I am going on my own any advice ???
I have no idea whether or not your NVQ qualifications would be recognized in Canada. NVQ quals often are not recognized here. I believe you'd have to submit your quals to the relevant province's credential assessment service to be certain.

But, supposing your quals are recognized, a dental nurse (NOC COde #3222) belongs to Skill Level B on the National Occupational Classification Matrix.
x
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MitchellGingell
Just wondering if there are any Dental Nurses or assistants working or looking to work over in Canada.
Everyone in our profession seem to be moving to Australia - I guess thats because they recognise our qualification!!

Thanks
I can't believe that anyone that truly wanted to move to any country would go to another country on such a basis. Requalifying, whilst a complete pain in the wotsit, didn't make me choose a country that would have made things easier, but then I really wanted to come to Canada.

Best of luck with whatever you decide
Old Apr 9th 2008, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by davidrn
Hi,
Don't know what your chances are as I said in this thread you need to sit the canadian exam as our quals do not cross over and you can only sit the exam once in Canada.Best get in touch with the regulating body in the province you are interested in going to.Also look at Bunac as you could go over and do the upgrade course but it does cost quite a bit of money or get a job as a RDA 1 and get a dentist to sponser you.PM me if you want more info on Alberta or Ontario regs as I have all the details from the horses mouth so to speak.
Helen
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:17 am
Just Joined

davidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant future

Hi thanks but with the 322 code it comes up as dental hygeine the problem being that it may be the title of dental nurse but does it not state that you need to be in a role that fits that codes specific job spec 322 may be the title dental nurse but it does not fit british dental nurses job spec as we cannot take x-rays or scale teeth in the UK
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:03 am
Just Joined

jillmel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, just joined the site and was hoping that you might be able to answer a few questions i have, regarding, dental nurses working in Canada. After reading through the course work report from the NDAEB, i noticed the qualifacation covered procedures such as dental Radiography, Consicous sedation, OHI,FMS and the taking of impressions, which in this country are studied as Post-Graduate Quals. If you have any of the Post-Grad Quals. does this make any difference to your application and what you have to do in regards to sitting exams. Also i noticed in the comments that Canada may not recognise NVQs, what about the National Cert. is this a recognised dental qual. over there?
Cheers
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

neato is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if an Australian dental assistant has to go through all this exams or qualification process. We are plannig to immigrate to Canada from Australia.

Any benefits from being Australian?

Cheers,
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:37 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neato
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if an Australian dental assistant has to go through all this exams or qualification process. We are plannig to immigrate to Canada from Australia.

Any benefits from being Australian?

Cheers,
The locals think your accent's 'Hot'
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Kerry4142 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Dental Nurses/Assistants Canada

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I have no idea whether or not your NVQ qualifications would be recognized in Canada. NVQ quals often are not recognized here. I believe you'd have to submit your quals to the relevant province's credential assessment service to be certain.

But, supposing your quals are recognized, a dental nurse (NOC COde #3222) belongs to Skill Level B on the National Occupational Classification Matrix.
x
Hi I'm new to this so not sure if it's right. I am a qualified dental nurse and dental radiogropher. Do you know if I would need to sit the whole exam in calgary and if any of my quals would carry over. I did the national exam and have 13 years experience. Also do you have any idea of the approx salary I could expect. Thanks