Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DENIAL ...Not Just a River in Egypt

DENIAL ...Not Just a River in Egypt

Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DENIAL ...Not Just a River in Egypt

Originally Posted by iaink
I suspect that miserable people are perfectly capable of being miserable anywhere in the world.
this is probably the truest statement in the thread so far!

life is what you make of it!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:28 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
this is probably the truest statement in the thread so far!

life is what you make of it!
What about events beyond your control, like accidents, illness, environmental events, economic cycles, crime, the list is quite long to suggest that human life is subject to many arbitrary variables.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:31 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
What about events beyond your control, like accidents, illness, environmental events, economic cycles, crime, the list is quite long to suggest that human life is subject to many arbitrary variables.
It is, and its much easier to deal with those in familiar surroundings with the support of family and friends. Being isolated only magnifies the negative effects of such things.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:37 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It is, and its much easier to deal with those in familiar surroundings with the support of family and friends. Being isolated only magnifies the negative effects of such things.
Yes very true. Apparently city dwelling retirees in the UK are facing a similar issue. Their romantic dream of moving to the countryside may be fraught with untold dangers. To quote some old lady. "Very few of the myths are true. All you need is one thing to go wrong, and you're vulnerable to anything from immediate danger to a long life of isolation and poverty."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...off-rural-life
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

Yes this is the position i find myself in,most of my problems were beyond my control
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:47 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Yes very true. Apparently city dwelling retirees in the UK are facing a similar issue. Their romantic dream of moving to the countryside may be fraught with untold dangers. To quote some old lady. "Very few of the myths are true. All you need is one thing to go wrong, and you're vulnerable to anything from immediate danger to a long life of isolation and poverty."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...off-rural-life
Probably true of rural retirees deciding to up sticks to a city life too.

I mean, why spend your working years building a life, finding hobbies, making friends in one place, only to decide when you retire and have more time to smell the roses to toss all that away and decide to start from scratch elsewhere! I just doesnt make a lot of sense to me. Friends it seems are the easiest thing to forget about when choosing to move, and the hardest thing to replace!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:58 pm

I mean, why spend your working years building a life, finding hobbies, making friends in one place, only to decide when you retire and have more time to smell the roses to toss all that away and decide to start from scratch elsewhere! I just doesnt make a lot of sense to me. Friends it seems are the easiest thing to forget about when choosing to move, and the hardest thing to replace!
If they like getting out into the country wouldn't a few day trips or holidays suffice? I see a lot of similarities with moving abroad, especially somewhere so far away like Canada or Australia.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 8:12 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... To quote some old lady. "Very few of the myths are true...
That's the trouble with myths.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

ctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suppose it depends where you come from. What choice of detached houses does $400,000 offer in Camden or even out in Ealing?
It won't get you anything more than a studio flat or an 1-bed x-council flat in Ealing....I live there now and I will tell you property prices are not suffering. Try getting a house in any decent borough of London for that price...
Old Feb 29th 2012, 10:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ctraveler
It won't get you anything more than a studio flat or an 1-bed x-council flat in Ealing....I live there now and I will tell you property prices are not suffering. Try getting a house in any decent borough of London for that price...
Quite. My point is that Canadian property still looks cheap if you're from London and so the Canadian dream, essentially a trade of the intangible, culture, beauty, friends and family, for the tangible, four bedrooms, two and a half bathrooms, two SUVs, is still attainable.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Quite. My point is that Canadian property still looks cheap if you're from London and so the Canadian dream, essentially a trade of the intangible, culture, beauty, friends and family, for the tangible, four bedrooms, two and a half bathrooms, two SUVs, is still attainable.
Same argument applies to where you are in Canada - the $400,000 benchmark we are using here would get you very little in the GTA, and I suspect even less in Vancouver.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Same argument applies to where you are in Canada - the $400,000 benchmark we are using here would get you very little in the GTA, and I suspect even less in Vancouver.
Well, yes, if you now live in Letterkenny you are not going to able to trade your flat for a McMansion in Mississauga, you'll have to go out to Burlington. However, relatively cheap property, most of Canada is cheaper than most of the UK, is the root of the ability to afford consumer durables. It's still what people come for.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 2:11 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
Iaink, I agree with you completely - it depends where you are on both of the above points.

We holidayed down in Picton last summer, and couldn't believe how friendly, polite and more aligned to the British sense of humour (sarcastic, dry etc) people were compared to Ottawa.

As for the drivers, people were waving me in and giving their right of way up - I was flabbergasted.
While some humour does go over my canadian chum's heads (and the trouble and strife's) i do find that it's a disgenerous sterotype that they have no sense of humour. I work with an impressive cross-section of Canadians: a Nufi, a Cape Breton, a couple of lads from the GTA, one from Timmings and another from Calgary. They give as good as they get.

Last edited by Boy d; Feb 29th 2012 at 2:19 pm.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 2:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

strife, ffs.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 2:18 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

that's a good point, never looked at it that way. Same could said for some that are emmigrating. If you have an established life, why leave?

I guess it's human nature to believe that there must be more just over the hill beyond the rainbows. Utopia is elusive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.