British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Demerit points advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/demerit-points-advice-734160/)

moving Sep 30th 2011 11:36 am

Demerit points advice

Hi,

April 2011, I got a ticket for speeding (2 demerit points) and I havent paid the fine yet since I chose the option to appeal to the courst. Yesterday (Sep 2011) I took a right turn during hours when I was not supposed to and so picked up 2 more demerit points, which I am again going to contest.

Does this stay on my record for ever, or is there a time period after which my demerit point returns back to zero. Really worried on that count since with 9 points I stand the chance of losing my license.

Thanks in advance folks

ultrarunner Sep 30th 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Demerit points advice

*sigh*......You aren't going to get all 4 points dropped, what they might/can do is offer you a deal based on your story and take 2 away and then you have to pay admin fees.

Points stay on your record for 3 years.

Almost Canadian Sep 30th 2011 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by moving (Post 9649762)
Hi,

April 2011, I got a ticket for speeding (2 demerit points) and I havent paid the fine yet since I chose the option to appeal to the courst. Yesterday (Sep 2011) I took a right turn during hours when I was not supposed to and so picked up 2 more demerit points, which I am again going to contest.

Does this stay on my record for ever, or is there a time period after which my demerit point returns back to zero. Really worried on that count since with 9 points I stand the chance of losing my license.

Thanks in advance folks

Go for it. I am confident you will be able to persuade the Court that the law shouldn't apply to you.

macadian Sep 30th 2011 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 9649838)
Go for it. I am confident you will be able to persuade the Court that the law shouldn't apply to you.

:lol::lol::lol:

AmyDavid Sep 30th 2011 12:49 pm

Hi,

Thanks in advance folks

Why would you be contesting it, if you admit you did something wrong?

Gremmie Sep 30th 2011 1:26 pm

Hi,

Does this stay on my record for ever, or is there a time period after which my demerit point returns back to zero. Really worried on that count since with 9 points I stand the chance of losing my license.Thanks in advance folks

I am really worried that some one that collects so many demerit points is on the road:eek::eek: Sounds like you are a danger to your self and all other road users and has no regard for the rules of the road.:frown::frown:

cheeky_monkey Sep 30th 2011 1:27 pm

Hi,

Thanks in advance folks

i thought you start with 15 points and when you get to zero your licence is suspended..so at 9 points you are not even close to losing your licence..also if you do a half day safety course i think they give you 2/3 points back..that maybe just in Alberta though.

Simon Legree Sep 30th 2011 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 9649899)
I am really worried that some one that collects so many demerit points is on the road:eek::eek: Sounds like you are a danger to your self and all other road users and has no regard for the rules of the road.:frown::frown:

For once I am in complete agreement with you. Well put.

jericho Sep 30th 2011 1:54 pm

As an FYI, you can purchase a legal expense policy for $80 a year that will fight traffic tickets, and other auto related "issues". For someone with so many points, you might be SOL, but for the every day driver, at $80 it's a no brainer.

Miss Clinique Sep 30th 2011 2:00 pm

Pardon me if this sounds a bit old fashioned, I am a Nanny after all, but, have you considered driving within the law? then all your worries will go away. Its a very simple solution, but, I find it does work.

ultrarunner Sep 30th 2011 2:13 pm

There is nothing wrong with being a nanny ;)

http://cdn.mos.totalfilm.com/images/...pic-800-75.jpg

Gremmie Sep 30th 2011 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 9649965)
There is nothing wrong with being a nanny ;)

http://cdn.mos.totalfilm.com/images/...pic-800-75.jpg

:wub::wub::wub: Hot chick:wub::wub:

dbd33 Sep 30th 2011 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 9649838)

What happens here, Ontario, is that the crown prosecutor sits outside the court room offering settlements for half. A typical member of the public will face speeding for, say, four points and no insurance for some other number of points, the prosecutor will offer to drop one or the other if the applicant pleads to the other one. In the case of the OP he might do well to ask that the two cases be heard on the same day so as to end up with 2 points. Negotiating 2 to zero might be hard, four to two is a given.

If going to the court is a bother, a court attendant will do it for around $300.

Gremmie Sep 30th 2011 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9649985)
What happens here, Ontario, is that the crown prosecutor sits outside the court room offering settlements for half. A typical member of the public will face speeding for, say, four points and no insurance for some other number of points, the prosecutor will offer to drop one or the other if the applicant pleads to the other one. In the case of the OP he might do well to ask that the two cases be heard on the same day so as to end up with 2 points. Negotiating 2 to zero might be hard, four to two is a given.

If going to the court is a bother, a court attendant will do it for around $300.

I'm surprised Iaink hasn't come along and told us off for not showing any empathy to the OP...:rofl::p

dbd33 Sep 30th 2011 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 9649991)
I'm surprised Iaink hasn't come along and told us off for not showing any empathy to the OP...:rofl::p

I don't think there's any particular need for empathy, speeding tickets are like rainy days, not something one might prefer but a routine fact of life.