Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DEET in mosy spray

DEET in mosy spray

Old Jul 20th 2012, 9:08 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DEET in mosy spray

Originally Posted by iaink
My better half got a bottle of the Avon SSS "Bug Guard Plus".

It contains Picaradin instead of DEET, which appears to be a decent compromise. Doesnt last as long as deet, but doesnt eat plastic either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icaridin
http://www.epa.gov/opprd001/factsheets/picaridin.pdf

I havent tried it yet... watch this space.
Got my Avon bug spray this week also. Will test it out when camping next week
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

I spent most of my life in Alberta. When we were growing up, we didn't even use repellent except perhaps those rare camping trips into the middle of the woods somewhere.

As an adult, I'd use those citronella sprays and they were effective enough for me. I've not used anything with Deet since I got a huge rash from it (and it felt like a burn) back in my 20s.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 1:36 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
I spent most of my life in Alberta. When we were growing up, we didn't even use repellent except perhaps those rare camping trips into the middle of the woods somewhere.

As an adult, I'd use those citronella sprays and they were effective enough for me. I've not used anything with Deet since I got a huge rash from it (and it felt like a burn) back in my 20s.
I remember being taken to a place called Carrot Creek way back in 1967 and being swarmed by mozzies and left with a million and one bites, swore I would never willingly go back there again! Fortunately, it's so long ago I cannot even remember where it is.

We have been given many citronella candles and sprays but I just cannot take the smell, it makes me ill. Some one did suggest Listerene was a good repellant, but that didn't work for us either.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
I remember being taken to a place called Carrot Creek way back in 1967 and being swarmed by mozzies and left with a million and one bites, swore I would never willingly go back there again! Fortunately, it's so long ago I cannot even remember where it is.

We have been given many citronella candles and sprays but I just cannot take the smell, it makes me ill. Some one did suggest Listerene was a good repellant, but that didn't work for us either.
Hmm...it sounds familiar. Off Hwy 16 towards Jasper perhaps. Summer camp in grade 6 was equally memorable for me. Just clouds of mosquitoes everywhere and a peak year for tent caterpillars as well. Loveliness.

I've never tried Listerine as a repellant, but then it's vile enough as a mouthwash so I can imagine the mozzies wouldn't like it.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

I think basically it boils down to your location. Some places have really nasty, persistent mozzies and some places have relatively easily deterred ones.

Where I live they are pure evil and I've tried citronella and Avon SSS and they make NO difference at all - not even briefly. You may as well not be using anything.

DEET is all that works here, *FACT*

Maybe it's down to the sheer numbers of the little b@stards out here in the Rockies and the distinct lack of humans for them to bite...? In a more urban environment there'll always be someone around who isn't using any repellent, and so the natural ones are enough to put the mosquitoes off biting you in favour of tastier victims. Out here they can't afford to be so fussy...
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Canada is rife with mosquitoes. We were in the Rockies last week and you couldn't sit out in the evening without getting swarmed. Wish we had DEET with us.

We were happy to be back on the West Coast
We were there too. Jasper was just swarming with the bastards. Had to get the spray on for sure!
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
We were there too. Jasper was just swarming with the bastards. Had to get the spray on for sure!
Welcome to my 'hood
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

Has anyone tried bounce sheets? Have not tried them on their own put them in our sock to keep them away from the ankles. Had best results with the thermal heat plate and the candles that heat a pad.
I spray DEET every where and still got bit on the end of my thumb all the rest of the family might get the odd 1 or 2 I get 8 or 10 and react bad to them
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:00 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pacepeter
Has anyone tried bounce sheets? Have not tried them on their own put them in our sock to keep them away from the ankles. Had best results with the thermal heat plate and the candles that heat a pad.
I spray DEET every where and still got bit on the end of my thumb all the rest of the family might get the odd 1 or 2 I get 8 or 10 and react bad to them
I tried the bounce sheets in my pockets (my wife experimented with me) and it didn't work for toffee. Still had bites.