Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DEET in mosy spray

DEET in mosy spray

Old Jul 13th 2012, 8:47 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all
Default Re: DEET in mosy spray

Originally Posted by Greenhill
I'd try it but I try to avoid putting any repellents on anyway. Apart from the first bite of the season, they don't really bother me that much now.

Just out of interest, why not do a practical test yourself and compare it to a DEET product. Make a Youtube video with your findings?
Great idea. I've already emailed the Avon Lady and she'll help me make one
Old Jul 13th 2012, 8:52 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Excellent. Finding evidence and facts to back up your statements is now a bad thing.

I don't use anything as things don't bite me as a rule - but if I did I would use something that is scientifically proven to work.

Who said you should do otherwise?

Please, stop with the fox news style anti-intelligence folksiness.
I've discovered your problem. Follow this and you will be a lot happier.
Ready?
Start to question things. Just because they say it is....it don't mean it is.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 8:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didikai
I've discovered your problem. Follow this and you will be a lot happier.
Ready?
Start to question things. Just because they say it is....it don't mean it is.
Stop with the faux cynicism as well. Just because they say it is... it don't mean it isn't. Not accepting anything you read makes your a paranoid fruitloop as much as accepting everything makes you naive.

Last edited by Alan2005; Jul 13th 2012 at 9:03 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 9:19 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Avon Skin So Soft is a well-known folksy mozzy repellent, just like citronella.

I'm sure it works, for a little bit, for some people. Likewise, I'm also sure that for most people, industrially-produced insecticides are probably more efficacious at keeping bugs away.

My mum is a terrible one for insisting things like peeing on a bee-sting is better than any of that nonsense from the chemist. "But Mum... will you just pull your pants back up, we're in Tesco car-park!"

Simple folks like simple things. Leave them be, say I. No point upsetting them.

Anyway, the answer to mozzy problems is to smoke a pipe.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if there is a placebo-effect in the realm of mosquito repellants?

Are mosquitos less likely to bite you if you *believe* that the ointment in question will have said effect?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 9:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Stop with the faux cynicism as well. Just because they say it is... it don't mean it isn't. Not accepting anything you read makes your a paranoid fruitloop as much as accepting everything makes you naive.
I think you are getting pretty close to coming around to my way of thinking.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 9:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Avon Skin So Soft is a well-known folksy mozzy repellent, just like citronella.

I'm sure it works, for a little bit, for some people. Likewise, I'm also sure that for most people, industrially-produced insecticides are probably more efficacious at keeping bugs away.

My mum is a terrible one for insisting things like peeing on a bee-sting is better than any of that nonsense from the chemist. "But Mum... will you just pull your pants back up, we're in Tesco car-park!"

Simple folks like simple things. Leave them be, say I. No point upsetting them.

Anyway, the answer to mozzy problems is to smoke a pipe.
I had you down as a Tesco shopper.....
Old Jul 13th 2012, 9:47 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

But she's right in that urine contains ammonia, the healing action of which deals with any acid content in bug bites/stings (thanks to Novo for that explanation).

Also, no better place than to expose genitalia than in Tesco's car park. A bit like Wal-Mart people roaming around Wal-Mart, it helps correctly market the corporation to its demographic.

In future let her cure your bee sting. And remember, it's the thought that counts, not the aim

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Old Jul 13th 2012, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So anyone used the herbal stuff?

Citronella oil, mixed with lemon grass, eucalyptus and anything else that goes into them?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 9:53 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I had you down as a Tesco shopper.....
Is that just random words or is it meant to mean something?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 9:55 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Eye of bat?

Originally Posted by Bob
So anyone used the herbal stuff?

Citronella oil, mixed with lemon grass, eucalyptus and anything else that goes into them?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 9:57 pm
Lowering the tone

But she's right in that urine contains ammonia, the healing action of which deals with any acid content in bug bites/stings (thanks to Novo for that explanation).

Also, no better place than to expose genitalia than in Tesco's car park. A bit like Wal-Mart people roaming around Wal-Mart, it helps correctly market the corporation to its demographic.

In future let her cure your bee sting. And remember, it's the thought that counts, not the aim
I know that urine actually will help alleviate an insect sting, but it doesn't do many favours for the ice-cream that's in also your hand.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Eye of bat?
Would make things interesting

But do any of those things actually work?

Citronella candles seem to work for a while in the garden, but as bug spray, not really. Works okay against other bugs like ticks I suppose, well they've not been a problem so who knows, but not made any difference against mozzies.

The problem I have with deet, I get eaten alive where ever I haven't sprayed a spot, but the missus, just a little bit of the stuff on the collar, wrists and the like, seems to work a treat.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:10 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are getting pretty close to coming around to my way of thinking.
You call what you do thinking? That's nice for you - I'll leave you to it. Cool story though bro
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

That will be shinning bright ..... gluten free life and the mossies in Manitoba
love me !!
beat the buggers off wi a stick.
jimmy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.