Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Deep Cove and areas nearby

Deep Cove and areas nearby

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold
Default Deep Cove and areas nearby

I would be interested to hear any views, positive and negative, on Deep Cove and any surrounding areas. Family of four, two mid-late teen children (by then). I know house prices are on the high side in Deep Cove.

Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future
Default Re: Deep Cove and areas nearby

If you mean Deep Cove NS, then I'd have though that late teen kids would want to be nearer the city.

I wouldnt want to be paying for a taxi home after a night out from Halifax to Deep Cove.

Deep Cove itself is nice looking, only ever passed through (We live in Simms Settlement near Hubbards)
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Sorry Sockdogg, I meant to say north shore, Vancouver!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

goodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant future

i lived in vancouver for a year almost three years ago.
we would often go to deepcove on a sunday to either do some hiking or canoeing.
it is a really beautiful place!!
i'm not sure what the transport links are like around that part for you r kids to get around.
there are loads of sports to do not too far away.
it might just be a bit far out for nights out downtown but nothing a 20-30 minute taxi won't sort out.

if i had the money to but there i would!
if you guys like the outdoors and don't mind the commute (assumng you're working in vancouver) then it would be a grweat choice.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We like Deep Cove when we visited, it had a less 'built up' feel than a lot of North Van. We're almost certainly discounted it because we want to be closer to the Seabus for hubby's commute, but it was a very nice area.

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:50 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

deep cove is FABULOUS if:

your kids will drive by the time you get here.....transport (busses) is okay but not so frequent and your looking at abit of time to get anywhere, to start your day......ie: to the sea ferry terminal at lonsdale or phibbs exchange to take you downtown or further into north van.......

your kids will love it, if thier lives revolve around the shoreline: plenty of watersports.....if they're into skiing, it's a trek to the mountains.....

deep cove is a very beautiful place if you want 'peace' and that's what you'll get.....great for visiting and i'm sure it's a stunning place to wake upto every morning but my two kids would hate us for ever if we had of moved there....we were looking at gibsons landing (hence the name and opposite direction to deep cove on the sunshine coast, if you don't know it) BUT, with two teenage kids of 16 and 18, they would have been on the plane back to the UK in the blink of an eye.....so we are now half way, just off lonsdale and half way up....best of all worlds.....deep cove 20mins....gibsons 20mins + ferry of 40 mins.....skiing 15mins + cable car.....downtown 1/2 hour on bus....life everywhere, if you choose and quiet if you choose not....plenty of public rec centres for them too.....ice skating, swimming, baddminton, basketball, soccer......and lots of cafes for them to meet up with thier friends...

my advice to you with teenagers, do the research first.......as adults, we have the freedom of movement, our teenagers don't yet but can through public transport.....we've been here 3 weeks and they love it.....

Last edited by gibsonslanding; Mar 3rd 2009 at 5:52 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:05 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Deep cove is an awesome spot, but not sure I'd want to live there. It's a bit out of the way so you'll be in the car a lot, plus it gets a serious amount of rain.....

If you can squeeze the budget take a look at upper lonsdale or capilano areas, otherwise lynn valley (slightly cheaper) is worth checking out. Much better transport links, especially to downtown
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:14 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a lovely area, as mentioned great for watersports ajnd visiting but for teenagers it's quite isolated from everything else, in that you have to bus out to go to Lonsdale, the pictures, skiiing etc.
Its great for younger kids as you would take them out yourself anyway but in my opinion too out of the way for older ones.It's very expensive and as mentioned because of its position even on a sunny day in Vancouver it's raining there ( a lot of rain !!).
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:32 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by terese677
It's a lovely area, as mentioned great for watersports ajnd visiting but for teenagers it's quite isolated from everything else, in that you have to bus out to go to Lonsdale, the pictures, skiiing etc.
Its great for younger kids as you would take them out yourself anyway but in my opinion too out of the way for older ones.It's very expensive and as mentioned because of its position even on a sunny day in Vancouver it's raining there ( a lot of rain !!).
Funnily enough i mentioned deep cove on the white rock thread. Nothing to add really, bit further out, but not in the middle of nowhere. More rain, since you are on the side of the mountains. Great pub there called the Raven, the oh and I sometimes pop out for a walk around the village and a lunch at the Raven. I also heard, although not sure, that it gets less hours of daylight due to the shadows of the mountains.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:23 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Hi,

Deep Cove is lovely, as many others have said already. We have had a number of people move into the area, though none with teens. Most who like it want the community feel of the Cove. And all of them have had kayaks and wanted to be able to go kayaking after work.

Teens (we had 4 teens, pre-teens when we arrived) need entertainment and the ability to get around on their own. OK they may drive eventually but public transit and amenities for them need to be considered. Mine used the bus and did a lot of their socializing at friends houses. Which they still do, borrowing my car when they can

Let me know if we can help with your research into areas when you're here.

warmly,

Frank
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone. Sounds like, lovely though it is, Deep Cove might not be best bet for kids. I suppose something nearer the sea bus but travelling distance of Deep Cove for kayaking would be better?

Frank - coming over next year for final recce so will contact you and Sue then. Thanks.

Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:42 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Thanks everyone. Sounds like, lovely though it is, Deep Cove might not be best bet for kids. I suppose something nearer the sea bus but travelling distance of Deep Cove for kayaking would be better?

Frank - coming over next year for final recce so will contact you and Sue then. Thanks.

Whatever you read on these groups there's nothing that beats seeing the place yourself. We all tend to have idealized expectations of life in Canada and a recce trip is a good way to get real about life here. If it helps your teens they could connect with ours or read the diaries on our web site.

Anyway glad to hear your coming out and we'll be happy to help you when you are here.

Warmly,

Frank