Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Deciding between America and Canada.

Deciding between America and Canada.

Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deciding between America and Canada.

Originally Posted by Tangram
Cheap housing ?
not a lot of rainfall?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:42 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Good night life, low crime rate?
Originally Posted by Tangram
Cheap housing ?
Originally Posted by dbd33
not a lot of rainfall?
sorry, but I've been longing to use the multiple quote button!

Why do you think you might want to come to Canada?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 1:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Why do you think you might want to come to Canada?
I think people primarily choose Canada because they can't get into the US. Given that, it seems odd to choose Vancouver for cheap housing, lack of rain and so on.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 1:22 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Boston.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 1:54 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Boston.
I like Boston, San Fran too.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Montreal.

We do get hot summers here and very cold winters often with lots of snow. Recently we had 45cm of snow in one day. We also had near -30C which can come down to around -40C occasionally.

The weather is pretty extreme here and we have experienced strong winds, heavy rain, flooding and blistering heat. It has gone from -20 C to nearly + 10C within a few days.

When it comes to gangs we have our fair share, we do have the Rizzuto Crime family (Mafia), Biker gangs, the Haitian street gangs and many others based in Montreal, but it is all very organised and it is extremely rare for non gang members to get killed. Usually when someone gets killed they will say which group they are suspected to have links with also the violence is very localised.

Most of the Gangs operate in other parts of Canada and definitely in Toronto.

Putting all that aside, Montreal is a fun city, but if you do not speak French, getting a job can be exrtremly difficult.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

j-dizzle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fcbayern
Seriously?? You make life changing decisions based on what a couple of people say on a forum? Not that I don't agree with them, I do, Canada is easier to get into than the US but it always depends on the circumstances and I'm shocked that someone makes so little effort to actually look into things.

/rant over
Actually I have been looking into this for years now, was just wondering if it would be worth looking into America if I could not get into Canada, but since it is harder then I will just stick to my original plan of Canada, ok ?

Originally Posted by britsnake
I live in Montreal.

We do get hot summers here and very cold winters often with lots of snow. Recently we had 45cm of snow in one day. We also had near -30C which can come down to around -40C occasionally.

The weather is pretty extreme here and we have experienced strong winds, heavy rain, flooding and blistering heat. It has gone from -20 C to nearly + 10C within a few days.

When it comes to gangs we have our fair share, we do have the Rizzuto Crime family (Mafia), Biker gangs, the Haitian street gangs and many others based in Montreal, but it is all very organised and it is extremely rare for non gang members to get killed. Usually when someone gets killed they will say which group they are suspected to have links with also the violence is very localised.

Most of the Gangs operate in other parts of Canada and definitely in Toronto.

Putting all that aside, Montreal is a fun city, but if you do not speak French, getting a job can be exrtremly difficult.
I see what you are saying with regard to gangs. I realize that nearly every city has gangs, I was just wondering if there are regular deaths to innocent citizens, which you have covered, thanks!

Learning French would not be a problem for me, if it would help me.

So you guys get pretty extreme winters then? How does the city cope with it ? because here in UK the preperation and action taken when it does snow is awful.
And also, when this weather does set in, how does this change the general lifestyle of the citizens ? Do people just get all depressed/dont do anything when the cold weather comes, or do they have a positive outlook on it ?

What are the summers temperatures like ? Averages?
Do you get a lot of sunny days or are there a lot of cloudy/rainy days like in Vancouver ?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fcbayern
Seriously?? You make life changing decisions based on what a couple of people say on a forum? Not that I don't agree with them, I do, Canada is easier to get into than the US but it always depends on the circumstances and I'm shocked that someone makes so little effort to actually look into things.

/rant over
Not sure what you're saying actually applies to the OP but it actually works for some people. I know people who have researched until they can't research anymore and their move still didn't work out. I know others (including myself) who have moved on not much more than a whim and had things go really well. I think the success or failure of a move has more to do with the personality, attitude and philosophy of the person making the move than anything else.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 4:50 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j-dizzle
Actually I have been looking into this for years now
Good job you found this forum then because in the space of one day you have found out that a) you probably won't get into the States and b) The Eastern provinces seem to fill more of your wishlist than the West (ie weather / housing / nightlife etc)

What a waste of a few years

Joking aside 'banging' nightlife isn't something i would find over in the West (though Vancouver probably has some good clubs - the nightlife scene is NOT, (read that again) the same as the UK.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Good job you found this forum then because in the space of one day you have found out that a) you probably won't get into the States and b) The Eastern provinces seem to fill more of your wishlist than the West (ie weather / housing / nightlife etc)

What a waste of a few years

Joking aside 'banging' nightlife isn't something i would find over in the West (though Vancouver probably has some good clubs - the nightlife scene is NOT, (read that again) the same as the UK.
The last few years i have not even been considering USA, only recently I thought of it as an option.
I used to really want to move to Vancouver, however my opinion on that has changed. I learned that Vancouver does not really suit my needs.

Just really wanting to know if there are any places I have completely missed.

And basically to get as much information as I can regarding Montreal, Toronto and any other cities you guys recommend.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The last few years i have not even been considering USA, only recently I thought of it as an option.
I used to really want to move to Vancouver, however my opinion on that has changed. I learned that Vancouver does not really suit my needs.

Just really wanting to know if there are any places I have completely missed.

And basically to get as much information as I can regarding Montreal, Toronto and any other cities you guys recommend.
Do you even qualify to emigrate to Canada? Id be looking at that before choosing a place to live. No good choosing a place if you cant legally work or live here
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Do you even qualify to emigrate to Canada? Id be looking at that before choosing a place to live. No good choosing a place if you cant legally work or live here
At the moment I am 2 years into an apprenticeship that is on 'The List'.
So hopefully I will finish that off, then I should be ok. As well as what ever years experience is needed (depressing part)

Last edited by j-dizzle; Feb 5th 2013 at 5:21 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:19 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You're right - it's a pretty fundamental condition of the process.

What do you do OP? Have you established your eligibility to move over here?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:24 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

At the moment I am 2 years into an apprenticeship that is on 'The List'.
So hopefully I will finish that off, then I should be ok.
There ain't no list any more buddy. At the moment it's (more or less) job offer only. Whether that will change in May, we're not entirely sure, and the immigration system is supposed to be getting a complete overhaul similar to the Aussie/Kiwi model in 2014, so no idea what will happen then.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BTJ
There ain't no list any more buddy. At the moment it's (more or less) job offer only. Whether that will change in May, we're not entirely sure, and the immigration system is supposed to be getting a complete overhaul similar to the Aussie/Kiwi model in 2014, so no idea what will happen then.
Seriously ??
I looked on the wiki and the 'The List' article still there.
That has come as a surprise to me!

Can you post any links to where I can read more about what you need to do now ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.