Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Deciding between America and Canada.

Deciding between America and Canada.

Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

j-dizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Deciding between America and Canada.

Hi, not new here but didn't know where else to put this.

So, I want to move to either America or Canada but I cant decide on a city.

What i am looking for in a city is :

Good weather - Needs to get a good summer with not a lot of rainfall per year.
I would actually prefer it to have snow in the winter rather than warm/mild all year round.

Outgoing vibe - would be good to move to a City where there is lots to do (mainly sports wise) and the people there are generally very active and outgoing.

Good nightlife - Has to have good clubs and a real buzz to the weekends/holidays etc.

Low crime rate - Dont really want to move to a city famous for gangs!

Pretty much that.

Montreal and Toronto has been on my mind, as has nashville and boston! Need to look more into them though.
Any other cities I should consider ?

Also, are there any differences in the immigration process between USA and Canada? I'll have a look myself but any you can point out to me ?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:36 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deciding between America and Canada.

Originally Posted by j-dizzle
Also, are there any differences in the immigration process between USA and Canada? I'll have a look myself but any you can point out to me ?
This is where you start, will either country let you in. What do you have to bring to the table?

For the US, start here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I would actually prefer it to have snow in the winter rather than warm/mild all year round.

Outgoing vibe - would be good to move to a City where there is lots to do (mainly sports wise) and the people there are generally very active and outgoing.

Good nightlife - Has to have good clubs and a real buzz to the weekends/holidays etc.

Pretty much that.

Montreal and Toronto has been on my mind, as has nashville and boston! Need to look more into them though.

This forum is purely to welcome new members to BE...it is not a discussion forum. Therefore I am moving your thread into the Canada forum...as I think you have a better chance of moving to Canada than the US. The US is one of the most difficult countries to move to. If you read through the link in Kim's post and if you fit into one of the categories...you may have a chance of moving to the US. If this is the case....post your questions in the US forum.

Good luck.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:48 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

What do you do for a living? There are a number of ways to get into Canada but often your job and your education has an impact
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
This forum is purely to welcome new members to BE...it is not a discussion forum. Therefore I am moving your thread into the Canada forum...as I think you have a better chance of moving to Canada than the US. The US is one of the most difficult countries to move to. If you read through the link in Kim's post and if you fit into one of the categories...you may have a chance of moving to the US. If this is the case....post your questions in the US forum.

Good luck.
No problem, was unsure where to post.
I will look more into Canada then.
thank you.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:51 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

As a general rule people come to Canada because you can at least get in here. although in recent years its become a case of needing a job for most people.

Read the "read me", with links to the wiki.

Lets face it, most of us are not here for the weather.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Happychappy is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty much that.

Cannot answer for Canada but there are gangs in almost every American city, even some small town gangs. All the cities you suggested are expensive to live in, especially Toronto and Boston. They speak mostly French in Montreal because it is in Quebec and that is their language of choice, but they do speak English. You need a job before you can come to live in the US and I would assume Canada too. Use Google and type in "Immigration for US" and then do it for Canada. You should get info for both. Try City-Data Forum for chat about everything US and the major cities. There is no perfect city in the US and certainly not in Canada that has mild weather, little rain, or just some snow. The South is humid and buggy, the North is cold and snowy, the West is either dry or rainy, and the East is a mixture of all kinds of weather. I have lived in all four areas. Don't decide to move because of the city alone, do your homework and see what the job prospects are, the housing market, the taxes, cost of living, insurance for your car and home, crime rate, income levels, median age of those living there, etc. Good luck.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.
Canada sounds like it will be less hassle so I will focus on that!
I will have a rad through the 'read me's'
Is there anyone on this forum who lives in Toronto or Montreal that can shed some light ?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:04 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anyone on this forum who lives in Toronto or Montreal that can shed some light ?
Its a bit like asking "does anyone live in London"

Torontos the third largest city in North America if memory serves, and it covers a lot of different neighbourhoods and price points...
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its a bit like asking "does anyone live in London"

Torontos the third largest city in North America if memory serves, and it covers a lot of different neighbourhoods and price points...
Close...it's actually 4th largest... after New York, Los Angeles and Chicago.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 7:46 am
Just Joined

fcbayern is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies guys.
Canada sounds like it will be less hassle so I will focus on that!
I will have a rad through the 'read me's'
Seriously?? You make life changing decisions based on what a couple of people say on a forum? Not that I don't agree with them, I do, Canada is easier to get into than the US but it always depends on the circumstances and I'm shocked that someone makes so little effort to actually look into things.

/rant over
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice

Get on a plane... go visit...
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

In my opinion Vancouver is the best of Canada. Not too cold in winter, great weather in summer. Ticks your other boxes as well.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winston_1
In my opinion Vancouver is the best of Canada. Not too cold in winter, great weather in summer. Ticks your other boxes as well.
Good night life, low crime rate?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:39 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Good night life, low crime rate?
Cheap housing ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.