British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Decided not to go (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/decided-not-go-267779/)

liftman Nov 21st 2004 1:58 am

Decided not to go

Thought you would all like an update on whats happening.

Mrs Liftman got her offer of an assessment at the college of her prior learning, to count towards her license. Cost of assessment:
$350 per course covered- 17 courses required = $5950

Then courses not passed by assesment required to be passed. $650 each course. (Probably 4 or 5 ) $3250.

Liftman required to take US exam first US$1750

Then Provincial Union exam $750

Provisional license $750 per anum

Also, Provincial inspector is able to refuse license even if the exam is passed, if HE feels like it.

Immigration fees for 2 adults and 2 children. $1400

Right of landing fee $1950

Total, around $17000 to possibly be told you cannot work.

It seems that every time you get a little further, some official appears, hand outstretched, asking for another $500 so that they can do their little job.

No thanks Canada.

We will visit for holidays, but countries that really want applicants such as New Zealand stand more chance.
:confused:

Thanks for your company during our efforts, but we have thrown in the towel, and will look elsewhere.

Bye
Richard & Fiona
Liftman & Mrs Liftman

PS
To all you would be immigrants:

Remember, you may have 67+ points, but those qualifications will probably be worth nothing once you arrive in Canada.

ksct97 Nov 21st 2004 2:30 am

Re: Decided not to go

Originally Posted by liftman
Thought you would all like an update on whats happening.

for what's it worth... good luck for the future and whatever it may bring :)

CalgaryAMC Nov 21st 2004 3:14 am

A shame, but I suspect you are doing the right thing. Good luck with your search.

wensamjam Nov 21st 2004 6:42 am

Hi Liftman,

so sorry that you are not going, but understand your reasons. Good luck in whatever you deciede.

Tiaribbon Nov 21st 2004 7:35 am

That's a shame but I do understand why you have made this decision. The very best of luck to you all wherever you end up.

Padsnbon Nov 21st 2004 8:39 am

So sorry to hear of your decision, I hope you find your dream....and soon.

Keep popping to keep us updated, we'll miss you. Good luck

mikejw Nov 21st 2004 9:15 am

Hi
a very sobering message for people heading for Canada and basing their move on equivalent jobs.Canada obviously needs to improve in this respect if they want to attract high quality people and not just to the big cities.

Good luck in all your endeavours Mr and Mrs Liftman.
Mike and Orla.

Linda P Nov 21st 2004 9:58 am

[QUOTE=liftman]Thanks for your company during our efforts, but we have thrown in the towel, and will look elsewhere.

sorry Canada didn't pan out for you both, good luck ! keep smiling! :) :)
LindaP

Crispie Nov 21st 2004 12:42 pm

Sad news :(
Your contributions have been invaluable and an education!
Nobody can say you didn't try your best and I think this inflexability is going to cost Canada big time. NS is virtually screaming for immigrants but where is the hand to help the good and well qualified people over?
So sorry that you've come to this tough decision but understand!
Canada's loss eh!
Why don't you post your goodbye message onto the comment board about immigration being run by CBC (link below) if not can I please?

http://novascotia.cbc.ca/features/immigration/

liftman Nov 21st 2004 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Crispie
Sad news :(
Your contributions have been invaluable and an education!
Nobody can say you didn't try your best and I think this inflexability is going to cost Canada big time. NS is virtually screaming for immigrants but where is the hand to help the good and well qualified people over?
So sorry that you've come to this tough decision but understand!
Canada's loss eh!
Why don't you post your goodbye message onto the comment board about immigration being run by CBC (link below) if not can I please?

http://novascotia.cbc.ca/features/immigration/

We will be contacting CBC separately about this.

Alberta_Rose Nov 21st 2004 12:57 pm

Sad news indeed Liftman! :(

However I commend you on your courage. It must be almost as difficult having been this involved, to decide NOT to proceed, as the original decision was to start with.

It's so easy to get swept along with the general enthusiasm in these cases .... like marriage! :p ...... MUCH more difficult to say "enough already! This is NOT going to work out!"

Good luck for whatever the future holds for you and yours!

Morw :)

Crispie Nov 21st 2004 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by liftman
We will be contacting CBC separately about this.

Good for you.
I thought you might after your past efforts with them!
Good luck to you both!

Tom Masters Nov 21st 2004 1:47 pm

Hi Richard and Fiona

What a loss for Canada. I totally understand your reasons. I admire the amount of effort and research you've put in to going to Canada and the guts you've shown in trying to fight the parochial, small minded system that exists over here.

For all that Canada is a beautiful country (some parts anyway), the lack of vision and flexibility that exists where qualified immigrants are concerened completely lets this country down.

I wish you all the best wherever you decide to go and I'm sure you will find somewhere where you can be truly appreciated.

Take care,

Chris and Tom

oceanMDX Nov 21st 2004 3:52 pm

Sorry to hear how this has ended, and good luck to you in the future. Nova Scotia makes it extremely difficult for Britons with skills to work in their occupation after moving to that province, then they wonder why they can't get and retain immigrants. So they ask: are we too White (on the CBC link)? What a bunch of stupid bastards! :(

Has Mrs. Liftman checked out some other provinces, like Ontario, Alberta or BC, to see if they would be more accommodating? I ask this partly because it seems that New Zealand has too many discontented immigrants - maybe it's not that good an option.

JAJ Nov 21st 2004 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Sorry to hear how this has ended, and good luck to you in the future. Nova Scotia makes it extremely difficult for Britons with skills to work in their occupation after moving to that province, then they wonder why they can't get and retain immigrants. So they ask: are we too White (on the CBC link)? What a bunch of stupid bastards! :(

Has Mrs. Liftman checked out some other provinces, like Ontario, Alberta or BC, to see if they would be more accommodating? As ask this partly because it seems that New Zealand has too many discontented immigrants.

NZ is a small economy, although perhaps opportunites there are better than in Nova Scotia. Some people like NZ, others don't - so it's important to check it out carefully. Most jobs in NZ are in the Auckland region, but this has high costs and congestion.

Australia's track record in accepting immigrant skills - especially from countries with similar education systems - is not perfect, but seems to be streets ahead of Canada.

NZ is probably similar to Australia in this respect, again check this out.

As ocean notes, Canadian policies can differ from province to province (more so than in Australia, and NZ is a unitary state) so looking at other alternatives within Canada might be worth it.

Jeremy