Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

'Decent' salary in Vancouver??

'Decent' salary in Vancouver??

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:26 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Decent' salary in Vancouver??

Originally Posted by Nik G
As long as there's no one there with white gloves trying to push me aboard then I'll consider it relaxed.

Is traffic really as bad as everyone says or is it just particular choke points, like the river crossings?
rush hour traffic in many areas is a right pain in the arse and can be quite bad. Downtown itself isn't too bad though.

Commuting by car to downtown from areas such as Port Moody, Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, Langley, Surrey, etc would get tiring very quickly for me.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:28 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Commuting by car to downtown from areas such as Port Moody, Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, Langley, Surrey, etc would get tiring very quickly for me.
Yeah, it's a shit commute from those places.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yeah, it's a shit commute from those places.
And with the cost of parking downtown (Spaces in our office parkade are $260/month with tax) you really would need that $200k+ salary
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrWindUpBird
And with the cost of parking downtown (Spaces in our office parkade are $260/month with tax) you really would need that $200k+ salary
Does Vancouver not have park and ride facilities.? Basically you drive to a mall or other area set up. Park for free and ride transit into the downtown.
Transit pass say $80 a month beats $260 a month plus you get to claim your transit passes at tax return time.
There again some people find transit a PITA and do not want to travel with the unwashed
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Does Vancouver not have park and ride facilities.? Basically you drive to a mall or other area set up. Park for free and ride transit into the downtown.
Transit pass say $80 a month beats $260 a month plus you get to claim your transit passes at tax return time.
There again some people find transit a PITA and do not want to travel with the unwashed
You could probably park at somewhere like Metrotown (If coming from the East) or Richmond Centre (If coming from the South) and then ride the skytrain. You'd still need to pay for parking though, just hopefully a bit less.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrWindUpBird
You could probably park at somewhere like Metrotown (If coming from the East) or Richmond Centre (If coming from the South) and then ride the skytrain. You'd still need to pay for parking though, just hopefully a bit less.
What a backward city Wouldnt it be in the cities interest to set up places like this to get rid of some of the traffic in the downtown area?
I mean arent all Vancouverites in touch with nature and wanting to preserve the planet etc etc.
In my city we have these and its free to park so take that you bunch of hippies
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows, Coquitlam and Port Moody are all served by the West Coast Express, which is a very pleasant commute when working downtown.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What a backward city Wouldnt it be in the cities interest to set up places like this to get rid of some of the traffic in the downtown area?
I mean arent all Vancouverites in touch with nature and wanting to preserve the planet etc etc.
In my city we have these and its free to park so take that you bunch of hippies
Traffic coming into downtown is on a downward trend anyway, so they don't have to.

My solution is to live four blocks from work.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 6:14 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nativenewyorker
Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows, Coquitlam and Port Moody are all served by the West Coast Express, which is a very pleasant commute when working downtown.
If you work regular hours yes, not so much if you want to get home by 2pm so you can sit in the garden.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 6:17 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I'd hardly call a 50 minute train journey from Maple Ridge > Waterfront 'very pleasant' when doing that 5x per week.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 6:58 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I'd hardly call a 50 minute train journey from Maple Ridge > Waterfront 'very pleasant' when doing that 5x per week.
It would actually be 10x a week wouldn't it ?

Must say I did a longer commute in the UK, both when driving it all and by train. In fact, I lived less than 10 miles away when doing the train journey and it still took me best part of an hour door to desk.

I think I'm spoilt now as it's 15 mins door to desk, but if I hadn't had that luxury, I don't think I would baulk at 50 minutes.

Now though, I think I would.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

Driving through rush hour traffic, traffic at a standstill on highway one, leaving at a ridiculous hour so as not to be late for work.......or reading the paper whilst listening to music on the iPod,drinking coffee on a clean comfortable train?? I know which one I would prefer
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:27 pm

Driving through rush hour traffic, traffic at a standstill on highway one, leaving at a ridiculous hour so as not to be late for work.......or reading the paper whilst listening to music on the iPod,drinking coffee on a clean comfortable train?? I know which one I would prefer
Do you use the west coast express then?

I know people that use it that think it's great. I'd definitely use it from time to time if it ran every 15 minutes all day.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah but you dont get to interact with the drunks, sniffers and squeege kids at major junctions asking you for a smoke or spare change
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:44 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
If you work regular hours yes, not so much if you want to get home by 2pm so you can sit in the garden.
Originally Posted by Danny B
Not taking into account a lot of users have to actually drive to get to the station, and pay for parking. Often the driving is done in rush hour to get there.

It's also shit if, as Alan says, you don't work "normal" hours, if you need to work late, if you work weekends or half days, or you need to pick kids up from school, daycare, etc etc. It's a VERY limited service.

x mins to commute to the station + 50 mins on the train + x mins to get to the office + fairly high costs = a shit commute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.