Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

'Decent' salary in Vancouver??

'Decent' salary in Vancouver??

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 3:20 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Decent' salary in Vancouver??

Originally Posted by Nik G
I understand you need a lot of money to live downtown but does that extend to Burnaby, Surrey, Port Moody?
You don't need a lot of money to live downtown - you need it to lead the kind of lifestyle the OP wants to live.

If you are only a few years out of uni don't come to Canada to live in port moody - stay in vancouver proper, somewhere like the west end, commercial drive, yaletown etc.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Nik G will become famous soon enoughNik G will become famous soon enough

I'm boring though and married with pets. Prefer the outdoors to the city life.

Obviously i can have both in Vancouver but would prefer to save money then live downtown.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 4:02 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously i can have both in Vancouver but would prefer to save money then live downtown.
Rent wise though, for the few hundred you save in the burbs, you'll blow on cabs etc. pets will be a bit of a challenge, as many won't rent to pet owners.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 4:05 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

You ought to love van then.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eager2bBC
I have to laugh at the $200-250k figures being thrown around as a 'decent' income!

Alan2005 and El_Rich, tell me where i'm going wrong with this monthly estimate (assuming you buy your vehicle in cash or don't own a vehicle)

Rent: $2300 (should get a nice apartment in Lonsdale)
Food: $600-800 (should cover some nice cheese and wine in there)
Clothing: $1000
Eating out: $600
Entertainment: $600
Car insurance: $150
Commuting/gas: $400
Contents cover: $50
Hydro: $25
Gym: $100
Phone: $150
Cable/net: $100
Tennis: $200
2 Long haul holidays: $15,000 a year
3 long weekends: $6,000 a year

Grand total = $100k (rounding up)

Pre tax income of $160k would net around $115,000, so there's a $15,000 comfort zone there for other expenses.

I'm sure there's a few items i've forgotten that could eat into the $15,000, but overall I'd say this is living a pretty damn comfortably, with tons of room to trim certain areas (main ones being rent and clothing budget, depending on how you like to live, and of course you could trim that vacation budget...).

So i'd say you could live well on $130k, live well with plenty of scope to save a reasonable chunk on $150k and live just fine on a good whack less!
This is really useful, many thanks. Actually, I'd say that they two long-haul halidays would be even less than that. The weekends probably too as we'd spend those exploring Canada.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
There's probably a few deductions you're missing.

I stand by what I said. An aspirational lifestyle like the OP wants is going to cost $200k a year min.
Not sure what you mean by 'aspirational'. This is the lifestyle I currently have and I don't intend to change that just because we have to move to Canada. I'm only going to agree to moving if I know that I'm not going to end up with a worse life. Why should I give up the things that I like and work hard for?

I already emmigrated once (to the UK) and the same applied to that move. I had to be certain that what I was getting was no worse than what I already had.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Just to confirm (and sorry to foreign girl if this counts as hijacking the thread)
No worries, ask away. All questions + responses are very useful.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

We also prefer the outdoors to city life, but my partner has just returned from Van and said that the 'city' there is not like a proper 'city', i.e. it's not as busy, hectic, noisy, as other cities we know or the city I grew up in. Having said that, he loved Grouse mountain and the areas around it, so we're considering that now too. The commute (time and money) is something that would make us want to stay closer to downtown.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 1:58 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
We also prefer the outdoors to city life, but my partner has just returned from Van and said that the 'city' there is not like a proper 'city', i.e. it's not as busy, hectic, noisy, as other cities we know or the city I grew up in. Having said that, he loved Grouse mountain and the areas around it, so we're considering that now too. The commute (time and money) is something that would make us want to stay closer to downtown.
Living near Grouse, then that brings the need for a car back into the equation i'd think.

It rains more there too.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

I've been too, the company I interviewed for insisted i take a look around and it isn't like other major cities I've been too. My work will not be downtown so the benefits decrease.

I also rode the sky train during rush hour and to me that's not a rush, quite pleasant and not remotely busy compared to equivalents in London or New York.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 3:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
Not sure what you mean by 'aspirational'. This is the lifestyle I currently have and I don't intend to change that just because we have to move to Canada. I'm only going to agree to moving if I know that I'm not going to end up with a worse life. Why should I give up the things that I like and work hard for?

I already emmigrated once (to the UK) and the same applied to that move. I had to be certain that what I was getting was no worse than what I already had.
Vancouver is going to suit your personality down to the ground. I really think you'll like it here.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 3:01 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I've been too, the company I interviewed for insisted i take a look around and it isn't like other major cities I've been too. My work will not be downtown so the benefits decrease.

I also rode the sky train during rush hour and to me that's not a rush, quite pleasant and not remotely busy compared to equivalents in London or New York.
I agree. We think of it as a nice town with a chip on its shoulder.

In fact Vancouver is like a 13yr old kid. Thinks it's one of the big boys but in reality it's far from it.

Nice place to live though, if you have the money.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo
I agree. We think of it as a nice town with a chip on its shoulder.

In fact Vancouver is like a 13yr old kid. Thinks it's one of the big boys but in reality it's far from it.

Nice place to live though, if you have the money.
Great, now it looks like I was accusing the OP of being a 13yo kid with a chip on her shoulder, even though I wasn't saying that about her.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road

I actually prefer the Tube at rush hour sometimes, because people actually let you off the train rather than just trying to barge on. Luckily I can walk to work.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

As long as there's no one there with white gloves trying to push me aboard then I'll consider it relaxed.

Is traffic really as bad as everyone says or is it just particular choke points, like the river crossings?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.