Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

'Decent' salary in Vancouver??

'Decent' salary in Vancouver??

Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Decent' salary in Vancouver??

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Yes I was thinking the 200K mark would do it nicely.
Yes, that's what I thought.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:26 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
Thank you for the serious posts - very useful.

I'm not self-employed in the UK, but will be once/if we move to Canada. And no, I'm definitely not in the IT business.
Does your other half have a job already lined up?

My colleagues over here get half the vacation allowance as their peers in the UK.

If you'd like more clarity on potential earnings, it's no good having people on here guessing otherwise the answers you'll get will mostly be pointless.

Like i said earlier, do a dry run online of your costs. Distances to activities and how you'll get there without a car. Holidays and costs, etc.

I'm with the others who suggest $200k+. That will give you a good living with access to your activities without worry, and allow you to save enough to buy a place here (unless you already have a large chunk of cash).
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I wonder if foreigngirl thinks you're joking.

To have the life they want, firstly i believe they'll either need a car or be a member of a car2go type company.

Secondly, to do what they want to do, and live downtown (not quite sure the North Shore will give them the lifestyle they want as easily) they'll need a good income.

We just booked to go to Hawaii for a week and dropped $5k. Do that twice a year, plus a few long weekends at possibly $1k+ a pop, it soon adds up.
No, I actually didn't as I had around 180-200k in my head.

We've actually been looking at going to Hawaii for a week. Saw deals (flight+hotel) for around £1k each (this was on Expedia, so I'm sure you can get cheaper than that). decent hotel, good ranking on trip advisor. Mexico West coast is cheaper, and that's all inclusive (around $1300 - including tax).

Where in Hawaii are you going?
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Does your other half have a job already lined up?
Yes, it's a transfer through his job here.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:32 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
No, I actually didn't as I had around 180-200k in my head.

We've actually been looking at going to Hawaii for a week. Saw deals (flight+hotel) for around £1k each (this was on Expedia, so I'm sure you can get cheaper than that). decent hotel, good ranking on trip advisor. Mexico West coast is cheaper, and that's all inclusive (around $1300 - including tax).

Where in Hawaii are you going?
Four Seasons Maui

Costs soon increase when you want variation in Long Haul destinations. Accessibility is certainly much more limiting here than the UK I miss that

Anyway, figure on $200k and you'll have a nice enough life for sure.

Last edited by el_richo; Aug 2nd 2012 at 6:34 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:33 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with the others who suggest $200k+. That will give you a good living with access to your activities without worry, and allow you to save enough to buy a place here (unless you already have a large chunk of cash).
$200k isn't enough if they want to save in a meaningful way (i.e. to get a house deposit in a 2 or 3 years) and live that lifestyle. I also think they'll want a car.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
$200k isn't enough if they want to save in a meaningful way (i.e. to get a house deposit in a 2 or 3 years) and live that lifestyle. I also think they'll want a car.
Not to mention any retirement savings. Many people dont seem to take that into account moving here. I suppose for a year or two if you are not staying long term its less of an issue.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:40 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Y'know, you're probably right about that.

I agree with the car thing.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Nik G will become famous soon enoughNik G will become famous soon enough

Just check out the prevailing wage info on workingincanada.gc.ca.

For example I just put in software engineer, Vancouver and it brought me back a median of 36.97 $/hr or $76k.

I used that site to state my preferred wage when applying for a position in Vancouver. I'm now in the process of getting the LMO after signing the offer.

All the talk of $200k is now panicking me though, my wage will not be that high (although significantly higher then it is now or then I would earn in the UK).
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
Not to mention any retirement savings.
That's sorted, no worries.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:46 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Nik G

For example I just put in software engineer, Vancouver and it brought me back a median of 36.97 $/hr or $76k.

I used that site to state my preferred wage when applying for a position in Vancouver. I'm now in the process of getting the LMO after signing the offer.

All the talk of $200k is now panicking me though, my wage will not be that high (although significantly higher then it is now or then I would earn in the UK).
Vancouver is as expensive to live in as London, in my experience. If you're comparing to Yorkshire for example, you'll certainly need to earn a lot more than you would there.

If your $76k is accompanied by joint income you may not be too bad. If it's the sole income, that's tight in my opinion. Although as ever, it all depends on what you want out of your life, family size, where you want to live here, etc etc.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

This is very useful, thank you.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Four Seasons Maui
Is that the one in Wailea? Niiiccce! No wonder you dropped 5k! Looks like it's going to be an amazing holiday.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

All of this is very useful.
As I mentioned earlier - I'm not worried about retirement, but health insurance is something that I need to sort out. How much is private health insurance? What does it cover? Which companies should I look at?
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:51 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Don`t panic. We live well, including owing our home, cars and have foreign holidays each year, and I could not even imagine how I would spend $200k a year. I think I would have to buy a boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.