British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Day trip from Halifax in winter? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/day-trip-halifax-winter-647285/)

christmasoompa Jan 4th 2010 7:32 am

Day trip from Halifax in winter?

Hi all,

Can anybody suggest a day trip from Halifax NS? I'm going there for a week in February, unfortunately I will be working most of the time but I have one free day (hurray!).

I'd like to try and see something of the province other than Halifax. Rather than hiring a car just for one day, can anybody suggest a good company or trip that I could do?

I've found a few possibles on the Halifax Info website, but any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks. :)

val50 Jan 4th 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Day trip from Halifax in winter?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 8216790)
Hi all,

Can anybody suggest a day trip from Halifax NS? I'm going there for a week in February, unfortunately I will be working most of the time but I have one free day (hurray!).

I'd like to try and see something of the province other than Halifax. Rather than hiring a car just for one day, can anybody suggest a good company or trip that I could do?

I've found a few possibles on the Halifax Info website, but any recommendations would be much appreciated.

A lot will depend on the weather, we've already had a fair bit of snow
Most things will be closed in February, but Peggy's Cove is impressive any time of year, and the cafe there is always open.
Sure there will be one of us around to take you out if you let us know when you are coming

Lemons Jan 4th 2010 1:00 pm

You can't go wrong with a trip to th South shore, it looks particularly beautiful on a winter's day. Shoot down the highway to Lunenburg then drive back via the coast road past Mahone Bay, Hubbards, Peggy's Cove etc.

I don't know if there's many tour companies operating that time of year, it might be cheaper and easier to hire a car. Driving is pretty easy on those roads (assuming the weather is OK).

On the other hand, if it's icy and snowy outside, head to a cozy bar in Halifax and sit it out!

Flogger Jan 4th 2010 11:43 pm

Hi all,

Come out for a beer:thumbup:

destinationnovascotia Jan 5th 2010 12:26 am

Skiing at Martock?

christmasoompa Jan 5th 2010 1:14 pm

Thanks all for taking the time to reply and for the suggestions. I shall research a bit more and hopefully get something sorted (with the back up plan of a warm bar as Lemons suggested - that's definitely appealing!).

:)

SmilerJen Jan 5th 2010 1:32 pm

if it is still cold (which it probably will be) you could go ice skating on one of the lakes in Dartmouth.... or cross country skiing in Shubie Park... always nice around that area....

jen

Pebblebeach Jan 5th 2010 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia (Post 8218788)
Skiing at Martock?

Anyone been to Martock? I know it is small but is it fun for a day out?

We are coming out at the end of March for a week, but I think we will be lucky if it is still open by the time we can visit, so it will have to wait until we are living nearby next year.

Lord Vader Jan 5th 2010 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 8219985)
Thanks all for taking the time to reply and for the suggestions. I shall research a bit more and hopefully get something sorted (with the back up plan of a warm bar as Lemons suggested - that's definitely appealing!).

:)

If you do end up in a bar, try this one. http://www.economyshoeshop.ca/

AmyDavid Jan 6th 2010 12:51 am

Hi all,

You get a day off? No fair...:rofl:

christmasoompa Jan 6th 2010 11:13 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 8221763)
You get a day off? No fair...:rofl:

Only the Sunday after I arrive. After that the boss will actually expect me to work apparently. Tsk! ;):D

Lemons Jan 6th 2010 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Lord Vader (Post 8221270)
If you do end up in a bar, try this one. http://www.economyshoeshop.ca/

Ooh yes, seconded, I go there regularly. A very cozy place in the winter (just don't sit too close to the doors, otherwise you get blasted with cold air!)

Also worth a look is Tom's Little Havana, Bearly's House of Blues or the lower pub at the Henry House. Just in case of a white-out emergency. ;)