DANGER OF ELECTROCUSION

DANGER OF ELECTROCUSION

Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

grthespark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DANGER OF ELECTROCUSION

Originally Posted by Stevie_1970
Hi there, people

Don't mean to sound like... anything... but I've been reading thru the posts in this thread, and it seams like there is whole lot of confusion as to the understanding of rules and practices here in Canada in regards to the practices of Electricians here. I personally started in the Electrical Construction trade back in 1986 and have been practicing in this field since then. I worked as an "apprentice" for 13 years before I took First Year schooling (92% average) and never finished off to become "certified" due to financial/family (got married and started having kids so couldn't afford to go back to finish schooling) matters, however, due to my extensive experience, companies hired me on in senior roles non-the-less. It turns out that I have even made a name for myself with the Electrical Inspectors here in Vancouver. It appears to me that if one knows what they are doing, and demonstrates the ability to "do the work correctly/safely", they are a prospective asset to any company. There is a nice demand for people out here in BC for those that know how to "do the job" correctly/by code - and most of that code is just plain common sense. Any of the formulea and calculations needed to work here should have been learned in high/middle school... that's what I found, anyways. The way I learned is by working with journyman and learning their tricks/knowledge.

Like I stated before, by no means am I inferring that I am "all that" or a "master electrician", but I do know quite a bit of info being a 21 year veteran in the trade. I would be happy to offer any advice/knowledge that I have to anyone that has any questions about how we do things here in BC.

I enjoyed reading this forum this morning, and that's why I signed up here today and posted this.

Cheers, y'all...eh? (had to throw that in there)

Steve
Hi Steve,

I have just filed to the AAit to sit the Red Seal for Calgary as part of the process for LMO etc.. I have a job offer no problems but must take the Red Seal.

I agree with you totally, I have years of experience & H/S experience here in the UK. It was reassuring to hear from you that experience does count, & mostly common sense.

Whilst here in the Uk the regs can be a minefield thats for sure. But like you, I'm not afraid or embarrassed to ask a question in order to get it right. Surely its better to seek advice if unsure on a particular area. After all, noone as ever been prosecuted for being over cautious!
Old Oct 20th 2007, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Stevie_1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grthespark
Hi Steve,

I have just filed to the AAit to sit the Red Seal for Calgary as part of the process for LMO etc.. I have a job offer no problems but must take the Red Seal.

I agree with you totally, I have years of experience & H/S experience here in the UK. It was reassuring to hear from you that experience does count, & mostly common sense.

Whilst here in the Uk the regs can be a minefield thats for sure. But like you, I'm not afraid or embarrassed to ask a question in order to get it right. Surely its better to seek advice if unsure on a particular area. After all, noone as ever been prosecuted for being over cautious!
and no one ever died from asking questions, eh?
Old Oct 20th 2007, 4:09 am
Just Joined

Hi Steve,

oh... and don't get me wrong... the regulations here are just as strict as there, I'm sure. elecricity kills, no matter what your nationality is or who u r....
Old Oct 20th 2007, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Hi Steve,

forgot to mention a saying I heard from the first journeyman I ever asked a question of... he told me once I had asked, " Steve... there are no stupid questions... only stupid people who don't ask questions...."
Old Oct 20th 2007, 4:23 am
Just Joined

Hi Steve,

assumption kills, especially when dealing with elecricity
Old Oct 31st 2007, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

tom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvenir
OK. You can join the gang. Hammer drill? Why?
Oh god, I just bought my first Canadian power tool and I don't even live there yet! (Mother in law picked it up for me)

It's on sale, I have no choice!

So it seems I did not go for a hammer drill after all I hope my neighbour will have one!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

grthespark is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Stevie_1970
forgot to mention a saying I heard from the first journeyman I ever asked a question of... he told me once I had asked, " Steve... there are no stupid questions... only stupid people who don't ask questions...."
Hi Steve,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I too have heard that expression here in the UK..

"It's not being stupid to ask the question, but stupid not to ask it!"

Has you said:

"No one ever died asking a question?"

Cheers