Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

daily medication

Wikiposts

daily medication

Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

big ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nice
Default daily medication

Hi everyone
Might sound a bit dumb but I take regular medication,would I have to register with a doctor or can these be prescribed at a walk in clinic.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:43 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: daily medication

Probably a good idea to register with a doctor if you can, but a walk in clinic should be OK in a pinch. Try and bring your history with you for a seamless transition if you can. They will ask more questions and need more proof for a narcotic, so that might need a family doctor.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 31st 2010 at 8:01 am.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:46 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by big ron
Hi everyone
Might sound a bit dumb but I take regular medication,would I have to register with a doctor or can these be prescribed at a walk in clinic.
If you are still thinking about living in Burlington then our Dr's on Walkers and Dundas are taking on new patients. Halton Family health.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:50 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone
No problems unless it's a narcotic.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

big ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nice

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
If you are still thinking about living in Burlington then our Dr's on Walkers and Dundas are taking on new patients. Halton Family health.
Cheers Miss Clinique don't know just where we will be settling but thanks for the info.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

The drugs I am taking are for blood pressure
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

You should be able to do this at a walk in. Although clearly the long term monitoring and management of a potentially serious condition such as hypertension would be ideally managed by a long term primary care physician.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

How would someone get insurance to cover a long term medical condition which needed daily medication? I really can't find this info anywhere and I know prescription costs are sky high!

Help please!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:52 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Before I came over. I went to see my Dr in the UK. I explained that we were moving to Canada and asked her if she could give me a presciption to cover me for the time it would take me to settle in, find a Dr ect ect. She gave me a presciption for 6 months worth of tablets. - Bless her.

I could see problems though, if you needed injections or something a bit more complicated than popping a daily pill.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
How would someone get insurance to cover a long term medical condition which needed daily medication? I really can't find this info anywhere and I know prescription costs are sky high!

Help please!
being essentially self employed health insurance was prohibitively expensive as an asthmatic with hypertension.

the good news is that you can offset 500 bucks of medical expenses against tax - so that pays for a couple of months
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

I think the good news for me is that I am over 65 and I think seniors pay $100 up front each year and then just have to pay the pharmacy to prescribe the medication.If this is not so please let me know.Thanks to all who have replied so far.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:02 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
being essentially self employed health insurance was prohibitively expensive as an asthmatic with hypertension.

the good news is that you can offset 500 bucks of medical expenses against tax - so that pays for a couple of months
More than $500 isnt it? But it has to be a minimum of 3% of your taxable income or something from memory.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:54 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I think the good news for me is that I am over 65 and I think seniors pay $100 up front each year and then just have to pay the pharmacy to prescribe the medication.If this is not so please let me know.Thanks to all who have replied so far.
ODB eligible recipients may be asked to pay some portion of their prescription drug product costs as follows

Single seniors (people aged 65 or older) who have an annual income of $16,018 or more and seniors in couples (where both spouses are over 65 or if only one spouse is over 65) with a combined annual income of $24,175 or more, pay an annual $100 deductible per senior before they are eligible for drug coverage. After these seniors pay the deductible, they then pay up to $6.11 toward the dispensing fee each time they fill a prescription for a covered drug product in Ontario in the benefit year

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/...turning65.html

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
More than $500 isnt it? But it has to be a minimum of 3% of your taxable income or something from memory.
probably depends on province eh?

i'll confess i didnt look it up just what i remembered from last tax return, but you might be right could be more