Customs and Prescription Medicines from UK to Canada

Wikiposts

Customs and Prescription Medicines from UK to Canada

Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

roberto_the_besto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Customs and Prescription Medicines from UK to Canada

Hello,

So I am slightly panicking because I run out of my medicine tomorrow and my repeat prescription was sent from the UK to Canada via registered post. The first batch that was not registered post never arrived and I am starting to get really worried. My old boss then sent me another one this week which shows as already arrived in Canada. They sent it from Lloyds Pharmacy and they are the store manager.

Has anyone had any medicine flown over from the UK?

I am reading about having to have an import licence etc.

I really need this medicine or I am going to have to pay $200+ for a months supply and I really cannot afford that right now.

Sorry if I sound like I am panicking, I really am.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. is there a number to call customs?
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:58 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs and Prescription Medicines from UK to Canada

Hi

Originally Posted by roberto_the_besto
Hello,

So I am slightly panicking because I run out of my medicine tomorrow and my repeat prescription was sent from the UK to Canada via registered post. The first batch that was not registered post never arrived and I am starting to get really worried. My old boss then sent me another one this week which shows as already arrived in Canada. They sent it from Lloyds Pharmacy and they are the store manager.

Has anyone had any medicine flown over from the UK?

I am reading about having to have an import licence etc.

I really need this medicine or I am going to have to pay $200+ for a months supply and I really cannot afford that right now.

Sorry if I sound like I am panicking, I really am.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. is there a number to call customs?
CBSA: Here is the contact for the 3 International Mail Centres
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/l...xtype19-e.html

Here is what Health Canada says http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/compl...uif-eng.php#a4

Visitors to Canada:
Visitors to Canada may bring into Canada, on their person a single course of treatment or a 90-day supply based on the directions for use, whichever is less, of a prescription drug.

The drug must be for the individual’s own personal use, for the use of a person for whom they are responsible and with whom they are travelling,.

The drug must be shipped/carried in one of the following:

Hospital or pharmacy dispensed packaging;
Original retail packaging; or
have the original label affixed to it which clearly indicates what the health product is and what it contains.

A Visitor may import an additional single unit, single course of treatment or a 90-day supply based on the directions for use, whichever is less, of a prescription drug. When a prescription drug is mailed to a Visitor, the drug should be accompanied by some form of documentation indicating that the drug is destined to a Visitor and/or the Visitor should be prepared to provide documentation/written evidence (stamped passport, student/work visa, letter from an employer/university etc) that they are a Visitor to Canada when requested.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Hello, Thank you so much for your reply. I really do appreciate it.

Well that is not a problem as it is in it's packaging with the pharmacy label on, telling me how much to take each day etc as well as a copy of the actual prescription and if I have to provide documentation then that should not be a problem.

I am much more relieved now. Thank you very much
Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:29 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, Thank you so much for your reply. I really do appreciate it.

Well that is not a problem as it is in it's packaging with the pharmacy label on, telling me how much to take each day etc as well as a copy of the actual prescription and if I have to provide documentation then that should not be a problem.

I am much more relieved now. Thank you very much
But you say in the other thread you started this morning that you're in Quebec on a WHV? You're not a visitor in that case.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Yes, that is a funny one. When I do my taxes etc I am still classed as a visitor because I do not have permanent residency and must leave at some point if that makes sense?

I am not entitled to any medical benefits etc here.

I guess I will have to wait and see.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:02 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that is a funny one. When I do my taxes etc I am still classed as a visitor because I do not have permanent residency and must leave at some point if that makes sense?

I am not entitled to any medical benefits etc here.

I guess I will have to wait and see.
You're a tax resident temporally, not a visitor (unless Quebec is very different to the rest).
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Yes, I know what you mean. I find things so confusing here. Like, I don't have a health card because my visa is not tied to Quebec, I have to pay in to a pension that I will never collect etc.

It's just so confusing. If I ever receive them, then I will post on this thread to let you all know.

Kind Regards
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:35 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Unless QPP is different to the CPP the rest of us pay into then a single contribution will entitle you to a (very small) pension when you reach retirement age.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:45 am
Born again atheist

Yes, I know what you mean. I find things so confusing here. Like, I don't have a health card because my visa is not tied to Quebec, I have to pay in to a pension that I will never collect etc.

It's just so confusing. If I ever receive them, then I will post on this thread to let you all know.

Kind Regards
The point I'm trying to get across is that because you're not (or may not be) a visitor in the sense of the regulations on getting prescriptions from abroad posted earlier, they may not apply to you and CBSA may have been confiscating the packages.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 16th 2013 at 3:48 am.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

I understand. I will give them a call on Monday. Thank you for your help
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Well thank GOD. My package arrived this morning. I checked the tracking number on the Canada Post website and it worked, I had no idea that this would work with Royal Mail and Canada Post too as I was under the impression it would only work with Royal Mail because I went for the cheapest option to send. I knew it was on it's way because it cleared customs etc 2 days ago.

Oh how relieved I feel. I did phone customs on Monday (before knowing anything) and they said that I would have been issued with a detention notice if the product was kept there.

And breathe