Reload this Page >

customs good clearance

customs good clearance

Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

kullymack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default customs good clearance

I need some help and advice

My goods have arrived in canada ready to be cleared.
There only mine and not the rest of my familys who have gone back to the UK and will be bringing there own goods.
I have to go and get them cleared but only have my passport and landing certificate as well as the inventory list abd cargo control documents.
I rang the customs office in Vancouver and arranged for a appointment.
One customs officer is saying that you need to have passports and landing certificates of all people landed in Canada and the other is saying that I dont as its my stuff only.
I confused and stressed as they my not clear my goods
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:42 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: customs good clearance

If it's your name, and only you name on the shipping documents, then only you need to clear.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Miss Clinique

I went to get the goods cleared and it was only my name on the shipping documents so they didnt give me any hassal.

The did however look at the photo copies of the rest of the families passports. COPRs, visas, and flight tickets.

They did however question me about the amount of tools I had on the inventory as I was a mechanic in the UK.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 11:23 am
Just Joined

spikeyken is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kullymack
They did however question me about the amount of tools I had on the inventory as I was a mechanic in the UK.
Hey Kullymack,

Was it a whole tool chest or something? Did you manage to pass them off as just personal tools? I'm thinking of bringing my tools with me (electrician) but not sure whether just to limit it to hand tools rather than power tools. Will have to 'weigh' up shipping costs vs just buying new ones anyway.

Cheers
K
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

TheCanary is an unknown quantity at this point

I am about to decide whether to use a door to door transport agency or just get my stuff shipped over and I pick them up myself. Please can you let me know if you had to get an agent to clear the goods or do any papar work on the receiving end, or is it just a simple pick up.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 7:34 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCanary
I am about to decide whether to use a door to door transport agency or just get my stuff shipped over and I pick them up myself. Please can you let me know if you had to get an agent to clear the goods or do any papar work on the receiving end, or is it just a simple pick up.
I'm fairly certain you have to attend in person these days?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

I weighed up my options and it was cheaper for me to take my tools with me as I had so many.
I had snap on tool boxes and just to give you an idea how big my boxes are I got the links pasted on the bottom and they are all full of mechanics tools as well as other household tools.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....group_ID=18013

http://image.snapon.com/international/pdf/kra2063.pdf

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Three cantilever tool boxes
Three plastic crates full of tools

On the list which the removal company did they were listed as package tool chest, package tools and Carton of tools. It wasnt specific but they where listed as tools (personal effects).

At customs the officer asked what my trade was in the UK I told him I was a mechanic.
He then asked what I did in Canada so I told him I worked at Tim Hortons coffee shop (unable to get a job as a mechanic as you need your own personal tools) and he then stamped my paper work and that was it.
I have read some threads on British Expats that people have been taxed on them so was worried myself.
Im guessing if you are employed in your trade when you go to get your goods you might get taxed on them or its just pot luck not sure.