Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

currently in GTA

Wikiposts

currently in GTA

Old Dec 4th 2013, 9:07 am
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute
Default currently in GTA

Hello, it's been a while since I posted on here, life has been pretty hectic these last few years. I moved to London and got a job I enjoy that pays well enough for me to save up to finally move out to Canada.

Initially I was looking at Vancouver as my destination of choice but since I started working as an AV technician I've realised that Toronto is where the work is and so I've been out here on a recce. I love the place!

It's a big city with a mellow vibe. I came out in the winter (not the proper winter, mind you, i need to work up to that!) figuring if I could fall for a city in the cold and the grey of December when the beautiful people are covered up and the sun is a distant memory I knew I could be happy here. I was right.

I've spent the last couple of days walking around different neighbourhoods and quarters of the city and just getting a feel for the place. I think the only way to really get a sense of a place is to get on your feet and walking about until you're shattered!

Now comes the next, hardest bit: actually pooling my resources and moving.

It's just me moving, no kids, no wife, minimal baggage (literal and figurative) and so on arrival I'll only need a room to stay in rather than having to find a house or apartment which should save time and more importantly money. I've managed to line up a few companies that are interested in interviewing me when I come out again so that's great news (one of them is the main company I wanted to work for so double bonus points! ).

With work paying me enough money to get by in the UK and tuck away money for the move I've been doing some sums:

Room: $500CAD/pm
Travel $120CAD/pm
Food + extra stuff: $100CAD
(I don't smoke, drink or drive so my outgoings are pretty low)

Rounding up, call it $750CAD/pm to live, $4,500CAD - $5,000CAD is a good sized amount to cover my ass for 5 or 6 months of living and job hunting. (that's £2,857 in old money, a total that should be pretty easy to collect over the next 3 or 4 months based on my current earnings and outgoings).

So I guess it's on! I've got a few more places to send my resume to in advance of arriving and setting up interviews.

A good feeling friends.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts and how things are going.

Cheerio!
Old Dec 4th 2013, 12:03 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: currently in GTA

Originally Posted by theotherlebowski
Hello, it's been a while since I posted on here, life has been pretty hectic these last few years. I moved to London and got a job I enjoy that pays well enough for me to save up to finally move out to Canada.

Initially I was looking at Vancouver as my destination of choice but since I started working as an AV technician I've realised that Toronto is where the work is and so I've been out here on a recce. I love the place!

It's a big city with a mellow vibe. I came out in the winter (not the proper winter, mind you, i need to work up to that!) figuring if I could fall for a city in the cold and the grey of December when the beautiful people are covered up and the sun is a distant memory I knew I could be happy here. I was right.

I've spent the last couple of days walking around different neighbourhoods and quarters of the city and just getting a feel for the place. I think the only way to really get a sense of a place is to get on your feet and walking about until you're shattered!ï

Now comes the next, hardest bit: actually pooling my resources and moving.

It's just me moving, no kids, no wife, minimal baggage (literal and figurative) and so on arrival I'll only need a room to stay in rather than having to find a house or apartment which should save time and more importantly money. I've managed to line up a few companies that are interested in interviewing me when I come out again so that's great news (one of them is the main company I wanted to work for so double bonus points! ).

With work paying me enough money to get by in the UK and tuck away money for the move I've been doing some sums:

Room: $500CAD/pm
Travel $120CAD/pm
Food + extra stuff: $100CAD
(I don't smoke, drink or drive so my outgoings are pretty low)

Rounding up, call it $750CAD/pm to live, $4,500CAD - $5,000CAD is a good sized amount to cover my ass for 5 or 6 months of living and job hunting. (that's £2,857 in old money, a total that should be pretty easy to collect over the next 3 or 4 months based on my current earnings and outgoings).

So I guess it's on! I've got a few more places to send my resume to in advance of arriving and setting up interviews.

A good feeling friends.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts and how things are going.

Cheerio!
Good luck, you sound organised.. i'veno idea about room and transport costs but $100 a month for food and extras is low, very low. Are you going to live on noodles maybe?
Old Dec 5th 2013, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

It is only my wife and I here, but our food bill is $100+ a week, and we are by no means extravagant.
We usually get what we need once a week, and eat out at least once at the weekend ( which isn't included in that figure) so $100 a month is very optimistic. Also, we are in Alberta, so only pay 5% GST, so I am guessing Toronto will be even more expensive.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 3:15 am
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Good luck, you sound organised.. i'veno idea about room and transport costs but $100 a month for food and extras is low, very low. Are you going to live on noodles maybe?
I'll fall back on the training of my student days I don't eat extravagantly as a general rule but once I'm working out here and working I'll have more money to live on and spend on better quality food than beans and noodles!
Old Dec 5th 2013, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck. I think your estimates on living expenses are low - especially the one on food. You're going to eat on a little over $3 a day?

You'll have a 3 month wait for OHIP (health insurance) coverage. Are you going to purchase some private health insurance to fill the gap? Also remember that OHIP doesn't over things like dental and prescription drugs.

Does your room rental estimate cover utilities? It's cold in winter but hot in summer. You can spend as much or more money on staying cool in summer.

What is the travel expense? TTC? A monthly Metropass is $128.50. If you decided to pay cash, $120 is probably about right based on 20 round trips @ $6 a day ($3 per trip x 2). So the Metropass is a much better deal as travel is unlimited 7 days per week (with an extra fare required for downtown express routes).

Last edited by MarylandNed; Dec 5th 2013 at 5:44 am.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 7:52 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

OP....

Don't know where you are pulling those numbers from, and yes you might have a contingency plan in place to fall back on "your student days ways", I still think your budget is out to lunch (no pun intended)

Even with a strict coupon regime, 100 dollars / pm is a pie in the sky thought, and $500/pm for a room? And then you worke up
Old Dec 5th 2013, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
OP....

Don't know where you are pulling those numbers from, and yes you might have a contingency plan in place to fall back on "your student days ways", I still think your budget is out to lunch (no pun intended)

Even with a strict coupon regime, 100 dollars / pm is a pie in the sky thought, and $500/pm for a room? And then you worke up
It is a common mis-conception that Canada is a cheap place to live!
Old Dec 5th 2013, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

mudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the rough

Hey,

So I thought I'd check your numbers out - been in TO 18 months.

Room: $500CAD/pm - doable within the TTC zone - check padmapper.com and show more filters in the search. select room only. Remember they may ask for 1st and last months rent.

Travel $120CAD/pm - doable - TTC is $3 a journey and you can transfer between bus, subway, and streetcar

Food + extra stuff: $100CAD - This is where you'll run in to trouble. Maybe up it to $300

A mobile phone might be good for setting up interviews etc - Wind are currently doing a good deal for $39/mth
Old Dec 6th 2013, 3:58 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Wind are currently doing a good deal for $39/mth
This is a good deal...really? I am guessing this doesn't include data? Koodo has a deal that allows you to bring your phone, and you get 10% off
Old Dec 6th 2013, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

The potential problem with Wind is that their network is really small. Its fine if you never travel out of their area but if you do you can be paying a lot more or have no service.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 6:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
The potential problem with Wind is that their network is really small. Its fine if you never travel out of their area but if you do you can be paying a lot more or have no service.
I dropped into the Wind shop in Guelph. The man behind the counter showed me his phone, it was with Bell. "I come out here" he said, "Wind would be ok in Toronto".
Old Dec 6th 2013, 6:27 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I dropped into the Wind shop in Guelph. The man behind the counter showed me his phone, it was with Bell. "I come out here" he said, "Wind would be ok in Toronto".
The problem with Wind is the follow through can be messy.

Old Dec 6th 2013, 9:28 am
The Dude Abides

Originally Posted by Oink
The problem with Wind is the follow through can be messy.

someone had to...

I'll be looking for a room that includes bills so that covers internet, phone, utilities, and the essential heating/ac. it won't be a palace that's for sure but I've lived in some sh*tholes in the UK so I'm pretty ready for a rough start.

As for food it was a baseline estimate. I don't eat a particularly fancy diet and I'm not renowned for cooking so as long as I have access to a microwave, bread, peanut butter and a hob for the occasional tin of something I'll be fine. It's pretty much how I live now and I only spend more day to day on food cos I have a job. reigning myself in isn't a big deal food-wise.

I'll be looking into the best phone deals. I only really use my data allowance to check my email or find out where the chuff I am on the maps and then I turn it off so I don't really need a big package (quiet you...)

It's going to be a struggle but I have no intention of getting off the plane and hoping that things will come together. I'm going to spend the next few months planning it thoroughly so I don't encounter any surprises when I arrive. I have a few interviews pencilled in for my arrival so I just need to add more to that over the coming months.

Many thanks for the input though guys, it's all valuable feedback
Old Dec 6th 2013, 2:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theotherlebowski
someone had to...

I'll be looking for a room that includes bills so that covers internet, phone, utilities, and the essential heating/ac. it won't be a palace that's for sure but I've lived in some sh*tholes in the UK so I'm pretty ready for a rough start.

As for food it was a baseline estimate. I don't eat a particularly fancy diet and I'm not renowned for cooking so as long as I have access to a microwave, bread, peanut butter and a hob for the occasional tin of something I'll be fine. It's pretty much how I live now and I only spend more day to day on food cos I have a job. reigning myself in isn't a big deal food-wise.

I'll be looking into the best phone deals. I only really use my data allowance to check my email or find out where the chuff I am on the maps and then I turn it off so I don't really need a big package (quiet you...)

It's going to be a struggle but I have no intention of getting off the plane and hoping that things will come together. I'm going to spend the next few months planning it thoroughly so I don't encounter any surprises when I arrive. I have a few interviews pencilled in for my arrival so I just need to add more to that over the coming months.

Many thanks for the input though guys, it's all valuable feedback
Are Canadians just simple?

The power of Wind.

Wind: Don’t cut your conversations short

Wind: Canadians have a voice that can be heard.

Wind. Going, going gone.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

mudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
This is a good deal...really? I am guessing this doesn't include data? Koodo has a deal that allows you to bring your phone, and you get 10% off

Unlimited data, full details here http://www.redflagdeals.com/deal/cel...rgains20131203

Coverage map is on this page as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.