Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Currency Card opinions please

Currency Card opinions please

Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Currency Card opinions please

Hey all,

After the week we have had and the fiasco with Crown, we are working on getting our currency sorted ready for next week.
I have been into some travel agents and they are all offering one of the above cards.

Has anyone on here used them and what are your opinions? Are they easier to use than Travellers Cheques etc, would you recommend them?

From what i understand, you put your money on the card prior to leaving the UK and then you just use the card like a Visa or Mastercard to pay for things. Is this about right?

Any thoughts? Should i just stick to what we know with travellers cheques given that we have already lost one lot of holiday money?

Thanks
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:24 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Currency Card opinions please

I have never heard of it but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.. If it was me and I knew nothing about them I would just load up my Visa or MasterCard.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

Does that not cost you a fortune in fees? That's why we are not using our current cards, the fees are ridiculous!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linz3112
Does that not cost you a fortune in fees? That's why we are not using our current cards, the fees are ridiculous!
What currency is on the card, the FX or your original funds, with conversion made at time of purchase?

My Amex gives me better FX than I get from the bank even with the 1% FX surcharge. They also give me 2% cash back at the end of the year.

Why not transfer your funds to a local bank and get a card in local currency? There are many more Fx houses around, just because one goes down does not mean they all will. If the company behind the 'Currency Card' goes down, you've still lost the funds.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

The card would have the total in CAD converted at the time of purchase. We don't have any accounts in Canada and we are only going over for a week, so seems a lot of hassle just for that.
We only used Crown because they offered a higher rate, not because we had loads to transfer or anything - you live and learn eh?!

Thanks
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linz3112
The card would have the total in CAD converted at the time of purchase. We don't have any accounts in Canada and we are only going over for a week, so seems a lot of hassle just for that.
We only used Crown because they offered a higher rate, not because we had loads to transfer or anything - you live and learn eh?!

Thanks
I'd just use a credit card, purchase protection, fraud protection, rebates and all that. Don't know of anyone who uses cash cards.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:27 am
Just Joined

eggonlegs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we used one from Travelex in the summer when we landed and it was great, it was pre loaded with Canadian dollars and saved having to take the passport out all of the time, just worked like a debit card - was fine.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I'd just use a credit card, purchase protection, fraud protection, rebates and all that. Don't know of anyone who uses cash cards.
Thanks, the only thing that puts me off using my Credit Card is that our fees for using it abroad are ridiculously high but don't want to mess about with Traveller's Cheques!

Originally Posted by eggonlegs
Hi we used one from Travelex in the summer when we landed and it was great, it was pre loaded with Canadian dollars and saved having to take the passport out all of the time, just worked like a debit card - was fine.
Thanks, these are the people that would be supplying our card so it's good to hear some good feedback.