Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cultural boredom in Canada

Cultural boredom in Canada

Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:11 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural boredom in Canada

Originally Posted by Tangram
It was made in the 70's. Do you get out much ?
Yes, all the time (or at least I did before this immigration thing really stepped up a notch) That's why I haven't had time to see it before now
I'll put it on my to do list
Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:14 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Funny about this English accent thing, because I've lived here in Ottawa with my Lincolnshire accent and wherever I've worked it's always the guys that make a bit of mocking fun out of it, but nothing too serious, and women who say, "But I really adore your accent". I thought, 'you taking the p*ss, or what?", but eventually realized they were being genuine. It appears 'sophisticated' to them, apparently.
What is more annoying is that every time - and I mean absolutely every time, without fail - when it rains, somebody just has to say, "must remind you of home". Still haven't worked out a good comeback for that one yet.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Dear God, we are Brits. Have we got so precious than we can't cope with a bit of banter.

On the very few occasions anyone has taken the p*ss out of my accent I just laughed with them and said, "it's not my fault, I can't help where I was born." Situation diffused never to be repeated.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:39 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Dear God, we are Brits. Have we got so precious than we can't cope with a bit of banter.
I'm with you. But apparently so.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:59 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm with you. But apparently so.

Banter is good. It's a bit of back and forth chit chat, having a laugh, but that's not the way they do it. They really think they're being funny when they're really just being ****s, but when you give it back to them they get all offended.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

NewLifeAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been in Toronto for almost a year now and I can't wait to leave. I've found it to be a mediocre place that has an overinflated view of itself in comparison to other world cities. Get a bit more life in it (and I don't mean more people) and perhaps it can start talking that way.

It looks like a thriving, bustling city, but the only hustle and bustle is between 5 and 5.30pm at Union station. Hell, you can't even buy alcohol from the store beyond 9pm (10pm at very few stores). You can't even buy it from the supermarket or corner shop. The average price in the bar for a pint is around $6 (not including tip, which is a ridiculous system. TIP? For what?).

I've got two Canadian friends, which isn't as many as I'd hoped when I first came here last September, and they only have personalities because they've either lived in the UK or Ireland or have British and Irish friends, so the sense of humour has rubbed off on them, thankfully. Then again, I've met a lot of Canadians (male and female) and haven't had any urge to become friends with them, even if you paid me. SO boring. Real, genuine characters are hard to come by. The best people I've come across have been the travellers in the hostel that I stayed at - French, German, Brazilian, English, Irish - but Canadians have been a different breed that I can't get on with.

Sure, Canada is pretty in terms of scenery, but there's not a lot of substance to it. Toronto SEEMS like any other North American city, but dear oh dear, it's so generic and average. It's very easy to come here and live, which is probably its strongest point, but the lack of character is a definite weakness in my point of view. Even listening to my colleagues in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton for a few mins is enough to induce a coma.

With the debate about accents, my English accent (East End of London but with the mispronounciations ironed out; thank you university) has gone down pretty well. It's the foreigners who are from elsewhere and are still learning English that have loved my accent though, not those from Canada. Most foreigners have told me that they prefer British/Irish accents to Canadian/American accents. Don't know why this is, but I'm not going to knock it.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:44 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
Funny about this English accent thing, because I've lived here in Ottawa with my Lincolnshire accent and wherever I've worked it's always the guys that make a bit of mocking fun out of it, but nothing too serious, and women who say, "But I really adore your accent". I thought, 'you taking the p*ss, or what?", but eventually realized they were being genuine. It appears 'sophisticated' to them, apparently.
What is more annoying is that every time - and I mean absolutely every time, without fail - when it rains, somebody just has to say, "must remind you of home". Still haven't worked out a good comeback for that one yet.
You could mention that Ottawa actually gets more annual rainfall than London according to the stats. Presumably Lincolnshire too.

I did this once when having a grumpy day of one too many people saying "must remind you of home" and sent them the links to the Weather Network site.

Then I felt like a humourless twat who had stolen a child's toy.

Some Canadians just like to say stuff like that, the same as they like to comment on your accent.

I've realized that 99% of the time this is actually just people's way of attempting to bond with you or break the ice when they can`t think of anything else to say.

And I feel grateful that my accent apparently makes me sound smart, because it means I can get away with saying dumb crap more often when I feel like it.

Imagine being a genius from South Carolina, with everyone thinking you're a moron because of your southern drawl.

Could be a lot worse, I say.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:52 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

On the very few occasions anyone has taken the p*ss out of my accent I just laughed with them and said, "it's not my fault, I can't help where I was born." Situation diffused never to be repeated.
those were my thoughts too. For a nation that prides itself on banter and having a sly go, it has been totally laughable to read such crap. Saying righty oh, or cheers mate is hardly mean and hurtful is it? That's been my exposure to date.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:53 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Banter is good. It's a bit of back and forth chit chat, having a laugh, but that's not the way they do it. They really think they're being funny when they're really just being ****s, but when you give it back to them they get all offended.
bollocks
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by NewLifeAbroad
I've been in Toronto for almost a year now and I can't wait to leave. I've found it to be a mediocre place that has an overinflated view of itself in comparison to other world cities. Get a bit more life in it (and I don't mean more people) and perhaps it can start talking that way.

It looks like a thriving, bustling city, but the only hustle and bustle is between 5 and 5.30pm at Union station. Hell, you can't even buy alcohol from the store beyond 9pm (10pm at very few stores). You can't even buy it from the supermarket or corner shop. The average price in the bar for a pint is around $6 (not including tip, which is a ridiculous system. TIP? For what?).

I've got two Canadian friends, which isn't as many as I'd hoped when I first came here last September, and they only have personalities because they've either lived in the UK or Ireland or have British and Irish friends, so the sense of humour has rubbed off on them, thankfully. Then again, I've met a lot of Canadians (male and female) and haven't had any urge to become friends with them, even if you paid me. SO boring. Real, genuine characters are hard to come by. The best people I've come across have been the travellers in the hostel that I stayed at - French, German, Brazilian, English, Irish - but Canadians have been a different breed that I can't get on with.

Sure, Canada is pretty in terms of scenery, but there's not a lot of substance to it. Toronto SEEMS like any other North American city, but dear oh dear, it's so generic and average. It's very easy to come here and live, which is probably its strongest point, but the lack of character is a definite weakness in my point of view. Even listening to my colleagues in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton for a few mins is enough to induce a coma.

With the debate about accents, my English accent (East End of London but with the mispronounciations ironed out; thank you university) has gone down pretty well. It's the foreigners who are from elsewhere and are still learning English that have loved my accent though, not those from Canada. Most foreigners have told me that they prefer British/Irish accents to Canadian/American accents. Don't know why this is, but I'm not going to knock it.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out then. Londoners, who'd have em. Hey?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:59 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
A case of, "It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it."
Ribbing can be fun, sarcasm can be great fun, but only if it is done well and both parties see the joke.
Maybe they misunderstand what being humorous is to British people. On TV here there are lots of funny accents done by comedians for laughs, so maybe they have seen these kind of shows and are just trying to emulate that and failing? I am not sure why anyone would take the mickey out of something you cannot help, like an accent, in any way other than gentle ribbing or just a clumsy attempt to bond, as Lemonfish says. I have encountered Canadians asking me to say "aluminium" repeatedly, which I am sure could become extremely annoying if it happened more than a handful of times but I don't think they are taking the p***.
Or maybe some of them are just "being ****s", as Oink says. You get them in every country and Canada is no exception, but I think anyone who has the strength of character to go abroad and be among foreigners can hack it with some good old British sarcasm anyway. It will either go right over their heads or they will get it and hate you. Either way, if they really are such idiots, would you care?
Stiff Upper Lip, chaps!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:01 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boy d
those were my thoughts too. For a nation that prides itself on banter and having a sly go, it has been totally laughable to read such crap. Saying righty oh, or cheers mate is hardly mean and hurtful is it? That's been my exposure to date.
Perhaps the Aussies have it right in referring to us Brits and whinging poms.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Essay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
Some Canadians just like to say stuff like that, the same as they like to comment on your accent.

I've realized that 99% of the time this is actually just people's way of attempting to bond with you or break the ice when they can`t think of anything else to say.
Thank you. I'm not one for small talk but it appears most Canadians babble in order to bond. I'd feel just as close to them, maybe closer, if they could respect my apparent need for quiet. But, that's how they are. Smile and nod and, occasionally, raise an eyebrow. It is a Canadian thing.

For the repeat offenders who don't take a hint, maybe ask them if they know who Bill Engvall is? (For those who don't know, his well-known punchline is "here's your sign").
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

NewLifeAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boy d
Don't let the door hit you on the way out then. Londoners, who'd have em. Hey?
I hope it does. At least it would wake me up from the continual snooze I seem to be having here.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:24 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewLifeAbroad
You can't even buy it from the supermarket or corner shop.
This is one of the most annoying things about living here. Being involved in the local community; seeing a bear; reading about the neighbours cat getting eaten by a coyote on a hydro pole? Fck that, I want to buy booze at the supermarket like in a civilized country. It's not much to ask is it? Well apparently it is. Wankers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.