Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cultural boredom in Canada

Cultural boredom in Canada

Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:54 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural boredom in Canada

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
TBH 90% of the time I find the accent thing amusing. I used to get the piss ripped out of me for my Brummie accent in the UK, same shit here really , except that people actually like the accent

the 10% of the time when I get annoyed , I'm usually choosing to be annoyed because the other person winds me up for other reasons
There's always a point where you have to just tell them to "Go fack themselves!"- usually does the trick for moi.

The stupidity of these inbreds agitates me. They hear a southern english accent and then attempt to do a hollywood english accent and think it's some sort of achievement when their friend/pier/2nd cousin or whatever says "that is really good".
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:58 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
. Misery loves company and the UK is full of people who denigrate their own country and community but strangely do nothing to make it any better.
That strange, I know some people in the UK are negative, but not all and not the majority, and one thing it does do is change and evolve, maybe not allways for the better, but at least change occurs....

IMHO the one thing Canada does well is resist change (In my opinion this is not a postive thing)

Last edited by MikeUK; Aug 4th 2011 at 8:01 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:01 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

No, I don't live in BC at all yet - my husband lives on an acreage (which I have visited) of which the nearest town is Abbotsford but our property is rural, as is our home in the UK, not that any of that is relevant or of any interest to the OP.
I did not judge the OPs view of cultural boredom, I just gave my input to try to be helpful, just as others did.
I don't know why you have singled me out but my personal circumstances are not important to the debate.
I didn't single you out. Your post was a good example of people thinking they are living in an isolated place, but aren't really. Ok, that looks I did single you out - but it's not you personally, you just happened to have posted the last one before my post.

(And, to be pedantic, your husband doesn't live outside Abbortsford, he lives in Abbortsford)
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:20 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
That strange, I know some people in the UK are negative, but not all and not the majority, and one thing it does do is change and evolve, maybe not allways for the better, but at least change occurs....

IMHO the one thing Canada does well is resist change [size=1](In my opinion this is not a postive thing)[/]
Opinions will obviously be divided on this dependent on personal experiences. In my experience, the UK has very few positive people - lots of negative ones and the majority who are exceedingly small-minded and self-centred.
Changes of any significance that do come about are not by the will of the people, more due to the will of a few and the complete apathy or ignorance of the majority.
Change for the sake of it has no merit. Canadians consistently vote as being happy with their lives (see this survey for one piece of evidence, http://www.forbes.com/2010/07/14/wor...lup-table.html ) and if you are happy, then it is not surprising that you oppose change. Perhaps they subscribe to the maxim, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
There's always a point where you have to just tell them to "Go fack themselves!"- usually does the trick for moi.

The stupidity of these inbreds agitates me. They hear a southern english accent and then attempt to do a hollywood english accent and think it's some sort of achievement when their friend/pier/2nd cousin or whatever says "that is really good".
And you've never imitated any one ??? Guess you should pack your bags and get back to what ever retarded clan you came from coz you obviously dont like it here with the "inbreds"
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:40 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
And you've never imitated any one ??? Guess you should pack your bags and get back to what ever retarded clan you came from coz you obviously dont like it here with the "inbreds"
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, Canada is mind numbingly dull with mind numbingly dull people but parts of it are nice to look at.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:20 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Changes of any significance that do come about are not by the will of the people, more due to the will of a few and the complete apathy or ignorance of the majority.
Change for the sake of it has no merit. Canadians consistently vote as being happy with their lives (see this survey for one piece of evidence, http://www.forbes.com/2010/07/14/wor...lup-table.html ) and if you are happy, then it is not surprising that you oppose change. Perhaps they subscribe to the maxim, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
A few points to counter your thoughts

Change is the natural order of the universe, it’s much more natural to allow things to change and evolve than it is to resist.
Do nothing and change will occur, eventually when the temperature of the universe sits at 0 Kelvin change will stop, but that’s a long way away.

Its innovation and change that created the world we live in.. the fact you are on this Forum was driven by the change of few in CERN doing hard physics and were not happy with the status quo, the computer used by those physicists evolved from simpler machine by those that thought manual calculations were too slow
In each case these were done by a very small number of individuals that chose to directly ignore if it aint broke don’t fix it

And as somebody involved in innovation professionally I do understand that its few that drive the majority, the majority often have no clue what they want until somebody changes it, for some its not what they want, for others its an improvement, but whichever way you choose to look at it its progress.

We as human have evolved, and as we evolve we change the world around us, some slowly other quickly, those that change quickly and move rapidly forward have come to dominate, I would suggest the very topical discussions on Neanderthal DNA and their demise which is in the news at the moment represent a good case.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:38 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'?

Jack Nicholson was much happier at the end, once he'd moved to Canada, metaphorically speaking.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:45 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I agree, Canada is mind numbingly dull with mind numbingly dull people but parts of it are nice to look at.
It must be true because you live here.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:52 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
A few points to counter your thoughts

Change is the natural order of the universe, it’s much more natural to allow things to change and evolve than it is to resist.
Do nothing and change will occur, eventually when the temperature of the universe sits at 0 Kelvin change will stop, but that’s a long way away.

Its innovation and change that created the world we live in.. the fact you are on this Forum was driven by the change of few in CERN doing hard physics and were not happy with the status quo, the computer used by those physicists evolved from simpler machine by those that thought manual calculations were too slow
In each case these were done by a very small number of individuals that chose to directly ignore if it aint broke don’t fix it

And as somebody involved in innovation professionally I do understand that its few that drive the majority, the majority often have no clue what they want until somebody changes it, for some its not what they want, for others its an improvement, but whichever way you choose to look at it its progress.

We as human have evolved, and as we evolve we change the world around us, some slowly other quickly, those that change quickly and move rapidly forward have come to dominate, I would suggest the very topical discussions on Neanderthal DNA and their demise which is in the news at the moment represent a good case.
This is all true and learned argument and if you are an anthropologist, nuclear physicist or geneticist it is self-evident. I have studied as a zoologist and geneticist and my husband is a physicist and geologist by degree, so we can both completely understand what you are saying about change. Without chance genetic change by random mutation, no evolution would ever happen, but many mutations either produce no visible or functional effect and they sometimes have devastatingly bad effects. Change can be dangerous, which is why most people avoid it.
Most people just want stasis if they can get it. Consistency and a settled life is what most people crave because change is by its very nature challenging and requires a response. That response requires a decision and then the responsibility is on the individual for the results.
People would much rather be left in their current situation, even if it involves mild discomfort rather than chance change that could go either way - for better or for worse. They also would rather avoid the responsibility of making the decision for change themselves. As you say, change is driven by a few motivated individuals and that proves my point.
You say change is natural, but staying the same is a law of the Universe. Newton discovered this and it is his First Law of motion. A body will stay still (or continue to move in the same direction and at the same speed) unless acted upon.
Personally, I like change and I work better with uncertainties and challenging, unpredictable situations. If I am in a fix, I would much rather act and take the consequences than do nothing and let others or chance take control. I prefer to take responsibility for my own successes and mistakes than be a victim.
I am not making a judgement about which approach is right, but in the same way that harsh environmental conditions tend to precipitate a higher mutation rate and faster evolution, so a kind environment does the opposite. My personal preferred way of living involves a lot of uncertainty, stress, risk, highs and lows and some self-recrimination when I make the inevitable mistakes - the more passive approach has its merits in terms of guaranteed modest satisfaction, less stress, expectation of moderate variation which is easy to cope with and little risk of spectacular failure.
I am certainly not going to criticise anyone for making that choice and being reluctant to change, especially if they live a fairly comfortable lifestyle in the first place. I am also thinking that, at the age of 42, I might like a little piece of that myself for a while. Think of it in zoological terms - perhaps I am entering my sedentary phase!
Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:55 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

Jack Nicholson was much happier at the end, once he'd moved to Canada, metaphorically speaking.
My husband has been raving about this film since he saw it recently. Is it really that good?
Old Aug 4th 2011, 10:25 pm
Banned

Lemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

Old Aug 4th 2011, 10:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

I agree with you. They usually end up sounding like Mick Jagger after a stroke
Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:05 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has been raving about this film since he saw it recently. Is it really that good?
It was made in the 70's. Do you get out much ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.