Reload this Page >

Crossing the US/Canadian border,, ID needed

Crossing the US/Canadian border,, ID needed

Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

jeannine will become famous soon enoughjeannine will become famous soon enough
Default Crossing the US/Canadian border,, ID needed

Help.

Hi I live in BC, not a Canadian citizen but do have a permanent resident card.I have just noticed my UK passport runs out in a few days. It took 5 months to get the card and I completely forgot the passport renewal when it finally arrived.

Can I cross the border with my permanent residence card as ID or do I still need the passport as well.

Not flying, just driving over and back.

I lived in BC from 77 to 2000 then went over to the UK to work for 9 years,I came back last April on a temp residency card issued to me while still in the UK so I could get back in and applied for the permanent one when I got back.

I have to wait till I have been back 3 years to apply for my citizenship and ditto for an enhance driving license. Can't think why I never did it before, I always seemed to be so busy and kept putting it off thinking it didn't matter.Idiot

Can someone give me link to the UK Commision to renew my passport please.

Any help would be appreciated, as to wait times for passports to come back etc.

My husband is in a similar spot, he is a Canadian citizen although he has a UK passport which also runs out in a few days.He also has an very old outdated Canadian one Should he renew the UK, Canadaian or both..need to get it right this time. He has citizenship papers, the original full size ones, he has just received forms to get a card to replace it..waiting time 8 months.

When we needed to renew them 10 years ago to travel to the UK it was simpler to do them both together which is why he did the UK one.

We both have driving licenses, neither are enhanced as we found out about that after we got them.

We used to have PACE priveledges at the border before we left, it has since changed to NEXUS,, but I have to wait three years to get that as well.

I have a wedding to go to in 4 weeks in the US so am panicing now

Any info/help would be really appreciated

Thank you

XX Jeannine
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:31 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crossing the US/Canadian border,, ID needed

You need a passport too.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:44 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You both need passports (or EDL or Nexus) to cross the border.

Info on renewing UK passports here (it really wasn't that hard to google). http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/en/help...als/passports/
They say they normally take 4 weeks but if you put the date of travel on the application you may be lucky.

You OH can renew his Canadian passport in person and this should take 10 days. http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/service.aspx?lang=eng

If you are entitled to both it makes sense to have both.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:45 am
Just Joined

jeannine will become famous soon enoughjeannine will become famous soon enough

Thank you for the help. I actually spent several hours today googling and getting numbers that didn't work etc so I was getting quite frustrated, I am sorry I had to bother someone but do truly apprecaiate the help.

Thank you XX Jeannine

Well I followed the link and searched and seached, this is why I didn't understand earlier today when I googled and got on the same site I went round and round in circles , I found the forms the second time but don't have a printer connected to my laptop and there was no place you could request them by mail. I found a phone number which I tried and got a reply..it was in the UK, I then had to pat through my Mastercard for the time I was inline asking my question. Once my Mastercrad was approved which took 8 minutes as her system kept going down, she took my name and address, said she would send it to Washinton State and I would receive the forms in the mail from them. This also where I end my forms off.

It's a strange world . I live in Canada, have to pay a special rate with a credit card in London to ask for a form which comes from the US.I then send my UK passport and form and payment in US funds to the US to get my UK passport.

No wonder I went round and round in circles, it never entered my head I was in the right place when I found it earlier today.

Last edited by jeannine; Aug 18th 2010 at 10:40 am. Reason: adding info