Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Crossing US border with dog

Crossing US border with dog

Old Jan 9th 2020, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crossing US border with dog

Hello,

quick question for those that have crossed the US border with dogs... what do we need to bring? A quick google suggests just a rabies vaccination certificate, is that all? I'll be crossing at Peace Bridge with my dog, and with a British passport I'll have to stop by secondary... assume the dog can accompany me at that point too?

Cheers!
Old Jan 9th 2020, 5:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crossing US border with dog

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Hello,

quick question for those that have crossed the US border with dogs... what do we need to bring? A quick google suggests just a rabies vaccination certificate, is that all? I'll be crossing at Peace Bridge with my dog, and with a British passport I'll have to stop by secondary... assume the dog can accompany me at that point too?

Cheers!
Yes take the current vaccination certificate. Unless it is a service dog I doubt that you will be able to take the dog into the building. Maybe FL can throw some light on that.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes take the current vaccination certificate. Unless it is a service dog I doubt that you will be able to take the dog into the building. Maybe FL can throw some light on that.
Thanks, I saw on one of the older threads here that someone mentioned you can't take pets into US secondary... so where will my 4 legged friend go
Old Jan 9th 2020, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I saw on one of the older threads here that someone mentioned you can't take pets into US secondary... so where will my 4 legged friend go
It will remain in the vehicle unless you prefer to tie it up outside to something. You could politely ask if its possible to take the dog inside but I would expect and be prepared for a less than polite answer though you may be surprised. They will probably let you check on it if it appears the wait for processing could be lengthy.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they have kennels at the door? Some of the Canadian crossings do, we have had to put our dog into kennels a couple of times coming back into Canada, we have only been sent to secondary once going into the US, they let my wife sit outside the door with the dog while I went inside as they were only interested in talking to me, they had no interest in the dog or my wife or even the car, but it was summer and hot and dog couldn't sit inside the car.

If you have your own kennel take it with you might be an option as well.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 10:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You do need to have the rabies certificate but, in umpteen crossings with dogs, no one has ever asked for it. We left the dogs in the car at secondary and popped out to check on them every half hour or so. The tricky bit is that eventually they have to pee and you want to be careful which tyre they choose to aim at.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 10:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You do need to have the rabies certificate but, in umpteen crossings with dogs, no one has ever asked for it. We left the dogs in the car at secondary and popped out to check on them every half hour or so. The tricky bit is that eventually they have to pee and you want to be careful which tyre they choose to aim at.
I have been asked once to provide the certificate.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 11:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have been asked once to provide the certificate.

I'm sure that would happen to me, the day I didn't have it.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 11:15 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

I've been asked to provide the certificate, and also told that all dog food must be in the original packaging so they can check ingredients.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 11:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm sure that would happen to me, the day I didn't have it.
Exactly why I kept a copy in car. One time I was asked where my dogs were. They were staying with my daughter at the time.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 9th 2020 at 11:19 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 12:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
I've been asked to provide the certificate, and also told that all dog food must be in the original packaging so they can check ingredients.
And make sure the food was produced in the US or Canada, and that it doesn't contain goat or lamb as last I saw the US doesn't permit pet foods that contain either of those, not sure why.

If feeding raw generally those foods are not allowed into the US without proper permits.

As for rabies, we always have the certificate, but have never been asked to provide it, we have been asked if we had it with us, but the officers never asked to see it.

Only time we ever had any issues really with our dog was the first time bringing her back as we got her from the US, the CBSA officer didn't believe we paid such a low price but we had copies of the the ad, as well as receipt, and other proof so in the end we got through and didn't pay any taxes.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 10th 2020 at 12:16 am.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 12:30 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

You just need proof of rabies vaccine. I've never been asked and I've taken my dog a few times. I've only been asked about food once.

As for going inside, I took my dog to Seattle when my family came over from the UK for a visit. I entered the US on my Canadian passport but we had to go inside because of the British ones. Was told to leave the dog in the car.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
It will remain in the vehicle unless you prefer to tie it up outside to something. You could politely ask if its possible to take the dog inside but I would expect and be prepared for a less than polite answer though you may be surprised. They will probably let you check on it if it appears the wait for processing could be lengthy.
Hmm I may ask but it seems likely he wont be allowed in so staying in the car will be the best option for him. It took 45mins-1hr last time so may just ask if we can periodically check on him before we're called up.

Thank you all for your responses; we will take the rabies certificate with us to avoid any hiccups. I've also heard the dog food is likely to cause more of any potential problems, so we'll either just grab a smaller bag of what we usually feed him (doesn't seem to have any of the prohibited ingredients) or just grab a bag in the US.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Maybe they have kennels at the door? Some of the Canadian crossings do, we have had to put our dog into kennels a couple of times coming back into Canada, we have only been sent to secondary once going into the US, they let my wife sit outside the door with the dog while I went inside as they were only interested in talking to me, they had no interest in the dog or my wife or even the car, but it was summer and hot and dog couldn't sit inside the car.

If you have your own kennel take it with you might be an option as well.
Yep we'll take our own so that looks like the best option. My partner is Canadian so hopefully they don't want her to come in as well, we'll at least ask if she can stay with the dog while they process me! Cheers!

Last edited by ChrisBan; Jan 10th 2020 at 11:46 am.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 6:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Something worth noting is that Buffalo has a great off leash dog park by the river. That could be a good place to de-stress after the border.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

My partner is Canadian so hopefully they don't want her to come in as well, we'll at least ask if she can stay with the dog while they process me! Cheers!
Same here. We drove across at Windsor and of course my Brit lady wife had to go to secondary to get the I95. I don't know if I could have stayed with the car or not, I went in with her anyway. They insisted we left the keys in the car and car unlocked and duly checked to car over while we were in secondary waiting to be seen. So expect them to have a poke around your car while you are busy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.