Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check

Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check

Old May 29th 2011, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

craig25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check

Hi i need to obtain a Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check from the Police or RCMP detachment.I am in the uk at the moment but i need it as soon as possible when i land for possible jobs so will go to the police station straight away but does anyone know if you have to wait for it to be processed or do you get it staight away ?,also how much is it ?, thanks
Old May 29th 2011, 11:42 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check

Hi

Originally Posted by leeps
Hi i need to obtain a Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check from the Police or RCMP detachment.I am in the uk at the moment but i need it as soon as possible when i land for possible jobs so will go to the police station straight away but does anyone know if you have to wait for it to be processed or do you get it staight away ?,also how much is it ?, thanks

Google is your friend. See: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/time-temps-eng.htm Cost $25.00 for Vulnerable Sector.
Old May 30th 2011, 4:11 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that RCMP are quoting over 12 weeks for their normal processing if you go to have your fingerprints taken at the police station on paper, but they quote 3 days if they are taken electronically. BIG difference!
However, the website does not tell you how to go about submitting your fingerprints electronically! I have sent them a query about how and where my husband can get this done in Canada, but they have only acknowledged my e-mail and I am still waiting for a reply.
If anyone knows about this or can give some information the website is lacking, I would also be grateful to hear it.
Old May 30th 2011, 4:52 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Can I ask why? If you have not lived in Canada then this check is not very reliable for a potential employer. Has a company told you to obtain the RCMP check? I would have expected that either RCMP will refuse to do it or ask you to obtain an equivalent UK police check.

Note: A UK police check for Employment purposes is issued by Disclosure Scotland and not ACPO (which is for Immigration only).

For example, to obtain Enhanced Reliability status which is the lowest level required for some government work, the person needs either an RCMP police check or if they have not resided within Canada long enough then they can be asked to provide a UK police check (Basic Disclosure) from Disclosure Scotland.

This is based on my experience here in Ottawa (with PWGSC).
Old May 30th 2011, 5:18 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
I notice that RCMP are quoting over 12 weeks for their normal processing if you go to have your fingerprints taken at the police station on paper, but they quote 3 days if they are taken electronically. BIG difference!
However, the website does not tell you how to go about submitting your fingerprints electronically! I have sent them a query about how and where my husband can get this done in Canada, but they have only acknowledged my e-mail and I am still waiting for a reply.
If anyone knows about this or can give some information the website is lacking, I would also be grateful to hear it.
I believe the RCMP dont get involved in the checks at all. Its down to the local station. There is a lack of a standardized system (or any system) and it is causing a huge amount of problems province-wide.
If you are in the GTA I may have some more helpful info, let me know where you are.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:16 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I believe the RCMP dont get involved in the checks at all. Its down to the local station. There is a lack of a standardized system (or any system) and it is causing a huge amount of problems province-wide.
If you are in the GTA I may have some more helpful info, let me know where you are.
My husband is in the Vancouver area and we expect to be asked for a Police check from Canada by London VO as part of our FSW Cat 2 application because he has been resident there working on a TWP since August last year.
We were a bit shocked that they are taking so long. We want to be able to present it to London VO as soon as possible after they request it, which means we need to get on the case now if there is a 12 week wait. If it can be done in 3 days with electronic fingerprinting, we don't need to put it in motion until the request arrives.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:26 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is in the Vancouver area and we expect to be asked for a Police check from Canada by London VO as part of our FSW Cat 2 application because he has been resident there working on a TWP since August last year.
We were a bit shocked that they are taking so long. We want to be able to present it to London VO as soon as possible after they request it, which means we need to get on the case now if there is a 12 week wait. If it can be done in 3 days with electronic fingerprinting, we don't need to put it in motion until the request arrives.
Sorry, I can speak a bit to the Ontario situation only. I would be tempted to talk to a local station in Vancouver and see what they say. I wouldn't pay much attention to the RCMP information. I have seen people get these on the spot though.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:27 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

There are 3 companies that can do electronic/digital fingerprints in Canada.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2009/ob116.asp Results in 72 hours UNLESS there is a "hit", then it takes time.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:29 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Helcat12, I take it you know you will have to provide a UK police check for your husband as well? and any other country he has lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18
Old May 30th 2011, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

i've had 3 rcmp crim checks done for 3 jobs 1 provincial goverment job, 1 national goverment job and then a real estate job.

All 3 have only ever checked my Canadian history, which seemed daft to me as they all knew i've only been here a couple of years. the basic rcmp check is done immediatly at the station, it just takes an age if they want fingerprint checks done as they get sent off. luckily none of my jobs wanted finger prints.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:49 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by JB0591
Helcat12, I take it you know you will have to provide a UK police check for your husband as well? and any other country he has lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18
Yes, thanks. He submitted his when we put in the FSW application - they had been tarting around with the rules and first they did want them with the app to CIO, then they didn't, then they said send them if you like but don't be surprised if we ask you for them later.... What a mess!
So, we sent my husband's UK one with the app as he was just leaving for Canada and thought we would get mine when they ask, as I am still in the UK, so it is easy for me. Neither of us have lived in any other country. We expect them to ask for the Canadian one for him when we get the next stage, which is Medical requests.
Old May 30th 2011, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

craig25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi no they have just requested a check for canada,i will be in nova scotia,even if it would take 12 weeks surely they know that and would understand,i am going for 2 weeks and going back to the uk
Old May 30th 2011, 9:43 pm
Island life at last

Hi no they have just requested a check for canada,i will be in nova scotia,even if it would take 12 weeks surely they know that and would understand,i am going for 2 weeks and going back to the uk
From what I have experienced about Canadian bureaucracy, they will understand that, but if you are saying that they will do it in any less time because of your position, then I think that is extremely unlikely.
Is it not OK for you to give them the information they need while you are there and then wait for the results when you are in the UK?