Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Crime in Vancouver

Crime in Vancouver

Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Crime in Vancouver

[QUOTE=James Martindale;7282444][QUOTE=dboy;7282352]For some reason the stats often take Scotland out of the mix which i don't quite get, their murder rates is higher than Canada ???? The stats show that guns play a big part in the overall murder rate. England has more assault than Canada.

Probably because Glasgow is super violent!
The problem in Glasgow, in comparison to say Vancouver, is that a lot of the violence there is random whereas random acts of violence are not as prevalent in B.C. (yes, bystanders may get hit in shootings between gangs (but it's rare), but the phenomenon of youngsters (neds as we like to call them) attacking complete strangers is pretty prevalent in Glasgow. This is why, despite the gangs, the majority of people still feel safe in Vancouver as they don't feel that two kids will suddenly stop them in the street, ask them a ridiculous question (e.g. "you fought ma cousin?", and then start jumping on their heads. I'm not going to go into the social reasons for these attitudes, but it currently does not exist in Vancouver or, as far as I can see anywhere else in Canada. So the majority of people still feel safe.

And those attitudes that are in Glasgow, are in other cities across the UK.

If you want a Canadian perspective of Glasgow Gangs and the difference between gangs in Canada and gangs in Glasgow then please click on the following link and watch the short documentary by the CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/sunday/2006/10/100106_1.html

It raised a few eyebrows in Scotland when it was first shown in Canada and there's certainly a lot more being done recently in Glasgow in order to combat it.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiton6
The problem in Glasgow, in comparison to say Vancouver, is that a lot of the violence there is random whereas random acts of violence are not as prevalent in B.C.
How do we know this? It seems like it would be pretty difficult to substantiate. For a start, how random is random, do the people involved have to have never met? If so, that eliminates all but a tiny fraction of crimes. Does the motivation have to be pure Clockwork Orange? For example, two crowds of football supporters killing each other might meet the "never met" criterion but that's not random violence.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Where do you get your stats from?

I am amazed that Edmonton's figure is better than Greater London's?
The figures are for a Ward that is part of Edmonton called Haselbury, where I live, The figures for Edmonton Green are 29.7 per 1000(29700per 100000). There is no way to look at Edmonton as a whole without a big load of maths. The borough is Enfield and that includes Winchmore Hill and other better off areas so it brings the figures down, 14.6 (14600 per 100000)for Enfield as a whole.
http://www.met.police.uk/crimefigure...ye&period=year

I think they call it massaging!! Just did the Math 22,575 violent crimes in Edmonton proper per 100,000 of population. Still less than London as a whole, but only just.

Madwife (brain hurts now)
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:03 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madwife
The figures are for a Ward that is part of Edmonton called Haselbury, where I live, The figures for Edmonton Green are 29.7 per 1000(29700per 100000). There is no way to look at Edmonton as a whole without a big load of maths. The borough is Enfield and that includes Winchmore Hill and other better off areas so it brings the figures down, 14.6 (14600 per 100000)for Enfield as a whole.

I think they call it massaging!! Just did the Math 22,575 violent crimes in Edmonton proper per 100,000 of population. Still less than London as a whole, but only just.

Thanks for the clarrification and the link.

I go and watch Tottenham often (for my sins), but it is not a part of the world I would hang about in much for any other reason, although I have a freind who has grown up in Edmonton and has alot of family in Mississauga, Ontario. But actually prefers Edmonton? Anyway.....
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbd33
How do we know this? It seems like it would be pretty difficult to substantiate. For a start, how random is random, do the people involved have to have never met? If so, that eliminates all but a tiny fraction of crimes. Does the motivation have to be pure Clockwork Orange? For example, two crowds of football supporters killing each other might meet the "never met" criterion but that's not random violence.
It's quite easy. I lived there for 30 years plus, and on most nights you'd pick up the local newspaper, the evening times, and you'd read about a random act of violence in the newspaper (I don't believe that they'd just make it up for no reason for years and years). For example, please click on the following link from tonight's newspaper in Glasgow.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/d..._teenagers.php

This is a random act of violence, and it happen's most days... I know, I lived there.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:18 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Is there are right to bear arms in the canadian bill of rights?

That's what I mean by gun culture. The right to defend oneself with a gun/carry the kind of gun which could only be used to kill people.

Hunting? I guess NZ has a gun culture then too. (Necessary, though, to keep pests at bay). That's not what I would consider a gun culture ala the US. And I'm going to go out on a wild and crazy limb here and guess that most gangs aren't carrying around hunting rifles but illegal weapons, machine guns, etc from across the border.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:20 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kiton6;7282492][QUOTE=James Martindale;7282444]
Originally Posted by dboy
For some reason the stats often take Scotland out of the mix which i don't quite get, their murder rates is higher than Canada ???? The stats show that guns play a big part in the overall murder rate. England has more assault than Canada.

The problem in Glasgow, in comparison to say Vancouver, is that a lot of the violence there is random whereas random acts of violence are not as prevalent in B.C. (yes, bystanders may get hit in shootings between gangs (but it's rare), but the phenomenon of youngsters (neds as we like to call them) attacking complete strangers is pretty prevalent in Glasgow. This is why, despite the gangs, the majority of people still feel safe in Vancouver as they don't feel that two kids will suddenly stop them in the street, ask them a ridiculous question (e.g. "you fought ma cousin?", and then start jumping on their heads. I'm not going to go into the social reasons for these attitudes, but it currently does not exist in Vancouver or, as far as I can see anywhere else in Canada. So the majority of people still feel safe.

And those attitudes that are in Glasgow, are in other cities across the UK.

If you want a Canadian perspective of Glasgow Gangs and the difference between gangs in Canada and gangs in Glasgow then please click on the following link and watch the short documentary by the CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/sunday/2006/10/100106_1.html

It raised a few eyebrows in Scotland when it was first shown in Canada and there's certainly a lot more being done recently in Glasgow in order to combat it.
All I know is the reason why I would strip Scotland statistic's away from the UK is because of Glasgow and the affect it has.

As the article says "It is the most violent city in the developed word".

Here is another spin:-

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle568032.ece

All we need to do now is get the Wales out of our stats:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...me-728540.html

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 13th 2009 at 5:31 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:26 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Y'know, I was going to mention how unsafe I felt in Glasgow (there in October) but decided I couldn't back it up. But I really felt the tension there between groups/classes of people in a way I don't feel here. I heard about the most violent city thing from our relatives.

According to relly who works in clinic in deprived area, it's endemic poverty and violence that has gone on for years and years.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwilass

According to relly who works in clinic in deprived area, it's endemic poverty and violence that has gone on for years and years.
And nobody spent the time and resources challenging it. Unfortunately, the city of Glasgow kept voting in the same political party for over 60 years (in this case, labour), but it doesn't matter if you support labour, conservative, liberal, nationalist or anybody else...if people vote for the same party for over 60 years then it leads to corrpution, waste and neglect, as those in charge become complacent and take their position of power as granted.

Therein, in my opinion, lies the major problem/issue of Glasgow. (PS, I don't hate Glasgow, it's my home city, I'm just pointing out some of the issues in comparison with Vancouver and Glasgow, as was previously mentioned)
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

I think Scotland is viewed separately, as their legal system is distinct from that of Eng & Wales, so they produce their own stats.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:45 pm

Oh, that's interesting. I know very little about Scottish politics.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned. From CKNW today.

Gang Crackdown Announced by Premier

2/13/2009

The BC government says it will dedicate an additional 168 police officers and ten crown lawyers to combat the escalation in gang and gun violence.
That word from Premier Campbell.

He calls the spike in violence "shocking and appalling".

Other elements of the seven point anti-gang crackdown include the outlawing of armoured vehicles and body armour and a new gang hotline and rewards program.

Edit: Listening to this on the news now. I guess there will be exemptions/registries for the armoured vehicle/body armour thing (i.e. various legal security firms, cash delivery drivers and so on).

It's also not clear yet where these additional police officers are coming from, presumably there's some re-tasking rather than a straight increase in total numbers, although there is mention of increased hiring.

And, apparently, increased prison capacity is back on the agenda - as is a review of the "2 for 1 time served" policy, bail for gun crimes, and so on.

Last edited by Iain Mc; Feb 13th 2009 at 7:58 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:02 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madwife

29.7 per 1,000 does not equal 29,700 per 100,000. It equals 2,970 per 100,000, a factor of 10 lower.

At 22,575 per 100,000, violent crimes in Edmonton (north London) would have happened to around one in five people! - it should probably be 2,258 per 100,000 which at a one in 50 still seems pretty high for violent crime.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:20 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
29.7 per 1,000 does not equal 29,700 per 100,000. It equals 2,970 per 100,000, a factor of 10 lower.

At 22,575 per 100,000, violent crimes in Edmonton (north London) would have happened to around one in five people! - it should probably be 2,258 per 100,000 which at a one in 50 still seems pretty high for violent crime.
Its Violence Against the Person (Per 1000 Population)

to quote "Includes a range of offences including murder, harassment, common assault, actual bodily harm and grievous bodily harm. "

so one person in an on going domestic will run up a huge count if you include harassment

and many accidents when caused by Recklessness can be lumped into common assault
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:29 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Its Violence Against the Person (Per 1000 Population)

to quote "Includes a range of offences including murder, harassment, common assault, actual bodily harm and grievous bodily harm. "

so one person in an on going domestic will run up a huge count if you include harassment

and many accidents when caused by Recklessness can be lumped into common assault
Thanks - I thought it seemed a little high at one in 50.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.